AMD XConnect External GPU Technology for Radeon Graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Thunderbolt so strong.

If only Microsoft threw one onto my SP4 =(

3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    All the wicked things companies will do in order for them to stay relevant...

4. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    From a lan party view. If I am to take my PC somewhere it's going from my house to my car. Then from my car to the building and I'd have no problem. I would never walk down the sidewalk for 2 blocks, or a mile or more with my pc in hand. Not even if I had one of these.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Huh? Since when did creating an external GPU utilizing open standards become wicked and a way for AMD to stay relevant?

It's not for walking?

The other thread was like this too. I really don't get why people can't see a reason for an external GPU.

When I was in college I had a Dell XPS 17" laptop that was a monstrosity. But I had it because I gamed on it and yet I wanted something I could take with me to classes and what not. Now in days, if I could take my Surface Pro 4 with me to classes to write notes, come back to my apartment/dorm and just plug it into a Fury X external GPU, that would be significantly better.

Or even just shoving one of my old cards into it and using it as a dock in a different part of the house, without having to buy a whole computer, would be nice as well. That is if my SP4 supported TB.

6. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    And it will be nicer with SFX power supply and HBM sized cards and smaller enclosures.
    Great, im in! Next upgrade i will do it.

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Hopefully this one actually takes off.

Open standard helps

8. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    This looks like its DOA.

I can understand the point in having a dock like this, but really, whats the point in having one?

If you had enough money, and were even remotely serious about gaming, to splash out on a new laptop with USB Type C with gaming spec, why would you want to spent 200-300 Euro on an external dock and 300-400 euro on a 'decent' GPU when you could have simply combined all of this money into a new Mini-ITX build? Or buy a slightly larger laptop with a highend mGPU.

This is for people that consider 'Form over Function' on a laptop, clearly, should we even be catering for these folk? lol

Nice to see, sure it will fail like the last 2-3 times its been tried. A card will just COOK in that tiny enclosure.

Is this enclosure fan assisted (Oven) or is it convection? Only reason I'm asking is the heat doesn't escape from my PC that quick without fans lol I can already see the modders reaching for their dremmel so they can mount the radiator for their AIO.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I would get one for my Macbook(assuming it would work >_>)

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think this is a good idea, but I'm wondering if Thunderbolt 3 will be able utilize the power of modern GPUs in terms of bandwidth available? Apparently PCIe 3.0x4 is the same bandwidth as PCIe 2.0x16, and I think I read an article months/years ago that concluded that PCIe 2.0x16 didn't bottleneck GPU performance - if that's still the case for current high end GPUs (as well as future high end GPUs), then I think this external GPU technology with AMD is a great idea.

EDIT: did some research and found the article I was talking about:
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,17.html
    It looks like the bandwidth on Thunderbolt 3 would be plenty, at least when talking about cards up to the GTX 980 which was tested - (as PCIe 2.0x16 vs PCIe 3.0x16 showed hardly any performance difference).

12. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    It definitely is a good idea, im just being sarcastic. It definitely adds a little wow factor to your current setup with this on a desk, that's for sure.

The way i am looking at it at the moment, screen technology is now outpacing GPU performance. So in the next year, possibly two we will be looking at mainstream GPU's doing 4k 60fps probably quite effortlessly but so it all comes down to whether USB Type C (Thundercats) or whatever its being called has enough bandwidth at that resolution and refresh rate.

Someone probably has the math already figured out, but saying that, they will probably have even faster connectivity options in one to two years also :)

That ROG eGPU is sexy as hell!! ^ That's better...

13. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Fixed

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This guy is probably the only guy I have seen who knows what hes talking about.

This is exactly why these things will exist.

I know a lot of people who have off the shelf PC's, Laptops, that have pretty decent CPU's in them ranging from i5's to even i7's but they all run on either a very weak GPU or they run off the iGPU on the CPU.

This kind of thing would be excellent for them, especially the laptop/tablet market.

Who is to say that in a few years time thunderbolt won't be capable of 40Gbps wireless???

How about that one then... the mind just spins out of control thinking about it.

15. SA SYS

SA SYS Guest

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1080 FE
    Srsly it's interesting!

16. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    It's something that should have a market, although I'm not sure how big the market is right now at the current cost. There have been times in the years past that I personally really wished for something like this, so it's nice to see the option out there now.

17. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    nice for people who LAN party but I stream from steam from my desktop to my laptop so no use for me as GPU in laptop is not important

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Honestly if I didn't have my PC already and wanted one for my living room as well, I would just do this.

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I called GPU hot swapping when that Nvidia driver popped up with Eject GPU,
    I think Nvidia have been working on GPU hot swappin for a while and will have it soon.

Especially handy once DX12/Win 10 has multi brand gpus working properly.

You could double the power of any laptop while still having a built in GPU, plus maybe the CPU's own gpu into the mix also.

20. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Well once DX12 kicks in will the CPU's iGPU, dGPU and eGPU count/work as a TRI-GPU setup?

That would be awesome. :D