AMD Radeon Crimson 16.2.1 Hotfix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by theoneofgod, Mar 1, 2016.

1. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Well, VSR has been practically useless for me in the few cases I tried since it seems it only works properly in borderless windowed mode while crossfire only works in full screen mode. In my experience, in the games I tried, VSR failed to either downscale the image (e.g. Legend of Grimrock 2), or failed to scale/relocate mouse clicks properly in full screen mode (e.g. Mass Effect 3) and even though the image was up, and then downscaled properly in the latter case, the mouse triggers were not, and mouse clicks registered on places that the upscaled image (before downscaling) should have been.

2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Before stating that my utility is bugged and forced me to reinstall my system to verify if it happen on fresh install (and it does), some more verification on your end would have been appreciated to save me time and efforts not to mention the bad review this give to DDU.

Anyway this aside, let go to the technical of this :)

I can confirm its a driver issue and here is how you can workaround it. (I think HDMI users are not affected, this remains to be seen)

1- Open the AMD settings app.
    2- Select Display.
    3- While VSR is OFF, click on the Additional Settings (top right)
    Note , this will open like the old CCC and will generate some missing keys for the drivers that were not created when installed
    4- Reboot
    5- Enable VSR
    6- Reboot and enjoy.

In conclusion, it's as everyone said, it is a left over entry from another driver that is being used in recent crimson one that make you think that without DDU it doesn't happen.

For some reason, on fresh install and depending of system configurations/connections used, a specific key is not created by default unless doing the steps above.
    DDU is only revealing a driver issue and is not actually causing it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I just tested things out to help pinpoint where the problem really lies.
    I didn't try VSR, but I tested with other known problem with recent Crimson: non-working per-app profile.

1. Uninstalled 16.2.1 with DDU in Safe Mode.
    2. Installed 15.7.1.
    3. Set up a game profile to force VSync.
    4. Profile works; persisted across several Windows restarts.

With that, DDU at least didn't mess that up.

1. Uninstalled 15.7.1 with DDU in Safe Mode.
    2. Installed 16.2.1.
    4. Profile didn't work; still didn't across several Windows restarts.

Still a toss up between DDU and Crimson messing up things.

1. Uninstalled 16.2.1 with DDU in Safe Mode.
    2. Installed 15.7.1.
    4. Profile works; persisted across several Windows restarts.
    5. Uninstalled 15.7.1 using AMD's express uninstall to uninstall everything.
    6. Installed 16.2.1.
    7. Previous profile was reset (either due to uninstall or new install).
    8. Set up the same game profile to force VSync.
    9. Profile works; persisted across several Windows restarts.

So, yeah.

While DDU does have a part in making profiles not working on recent Crimsons, the same would happen if you fresh install your Windows.
    DDU just tries to emulate that 'blank slate' on freshly installed Windows.
    If recent Crimsons can't make profiles work because they rely on leftover registry entries from previous installations, the bigger blame should be on Crimson installation that didn't apply/generate these registry entries.

Granted I didn't test it with the Vulkan driver (and used 15.7.1 instead), but at least I didn't base my conclusion from a single usage.

On the lighter side, at least now I have a properly working 16.2.1. =b

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Interesting discussion in this thread.

I almost unnoticed these last page posts.

Thank you very much Wagnard for you uninstaller, at least you know how to clean up AMD drivers mess.

I hope someone from AMD is reading this thread and could pass this information to ppl in charge of fantafabulous drivers team to test amd fix their stuff to include all the needed files and reg entries to don't rely on previos installs leftovers.

The blame is not shared, it's all from AMD: GPU drivers CAN'T rely in leftovers to ensure proper function. PERIOD.

AMD GPU drivers MUST work properly in a clean Windows installation where there was no previous versions leftovers simply installing the last driver package.

Is not only that VSR needs previous drivers leftovers but app profiles need them too?

In which more cases are the drivers actually relying on leftovers to properly function?

Power saving? (not a joke...)

Is AMD drivers team testing them on a new OS install?

I don't think so because if this was the case they would have found this problem long time ago.

Thank you for your drivers installs/uninstalls testings, it seems you did more tests with them for clean/leftovers state than the whole AMD driver team.

:3eyes:

5. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    So is this a 16.2.1 issue? Because I used DDU before installing 16.2 and my VSR and profiles work as they should.

6. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Before Crimson drivers, many registry key were created after the CCC was started.
    Since there is no more CCC and that AMD Settings took over, it seems they may have forgotten a few keys to be created. (Don't forgot, Crimson is still new)

To create theses keys, simply do the step I wrote earlier.

For the more curious users here, the needde keys location that are added/created for VSR are in this location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{In one of theses keys}\000x\

There are some other location but hey, AMD should be the one finding out, they are paid for it :p

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The thing with both Catalyst and Crimson .inf files is that they're basically a copy & paste job time bomb.

It's a bit hard to explain unless you've looked what's in it (it's just a text file), but basically every architecture and its subsequent variants/derivatives each has their own presets in there, registry settings and DLL registrations included.
    So what's wrong with my card may work just fine on yours, especially when mine is a 5650m (a.k.a. legacy) while yours is generations apart.

I also obviously can't test for VSR settings since for my card to support that would need unicorn piss. =b

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    16.2 is still the stickied thread

even mods can't keep up with AMD naming scheme :rolleyes:

9. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    I seem to be having an issue with 16.2.1 that is causing my system to completely lock up on boot up before I can even log in.. I have to reboot, uninstall with DDU then restart, reinstall.. Then the issue will again happen after a few reboots.. just did a fresh install. issue still persists.. now back to 16.1 for now to see if the problem still continues..

10. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Remove overclock profile and don't allow msi afterburner to startup with windows.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Wait, you could force Vsync? :3eyes:

In which game?

12. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Crazy thing is it only happens with 16.2.1. never had an issue with MSI AB running from boot up until these last few days.

I assume you meant turn off the OC profile from MSI? haven't touched OC anywhere else.

13. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Could you guys tell me if this drivers 16.2.1 comes with the Vulcan API support?
    I know that AMD released the Vulcan drivers, but they lack the newest game profiles, and doesn't come with the DirectX (correct me if I'm wrong)

And 2nd, do you guys know any app that I can check if I have Vulcan, and if it works?
    Same with dx12, opengl version?

14. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The Vulkan beta has DX files but lacks the control panel. Solutions: install the CP manually from 16.2.1-hotfix1, or install that first and override the driver part with the Vulkan installer.

The last time I check the app-specific profiles were in the CP, not in the driver part, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I suggest you should try playing/using the games/applications you wish to actually use. You should use diagnostic tools if apps/games fail, not the other way around.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  15. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    So running those on win10 and I am happy. Crimson is finally where it should be. performance is great and overdrive works correctly.

One thing I noticed and want to know if its only me:
    Setting for Virtual Super Resolution don't stick after restart. All other settings do, but after restart, I do have to enable it again if I want to use it.
    Keep in mind that I have disabled hibernation so turning off pc, really turns it off

16. billydydcoen

billydydcoen Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060 OC TUF
    for those who's having problems with Crimson control panel, my advice is: install only the 16.2.1 video drivers and hdmi audio drivers, then install Catalyst (without any driver) from the 15.11.1 installer. This way you'll keep all your setting saved, vsr included. You'll lose Crimson feature, but it's just a temporary solution, we all hope thing will be fixed in the next release :)

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    per Wagnard, open display/additional setting once after install to create missing reg entries that amd forgot.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMD give us a frankenbuild GPU driver since Crimson: half settings are in the old Catalyst CC and the other half are located in the new fancy Crimson GUI but some features are dead or lost in the process to give life to this "thing".

Customers shoud not need to make their own frankenbuild GPU driver trying to fix official driver, use external 3rd party tools or even edit registry entries to get performance back disabling Crimson power saving crazyness.

AMD "forgot" to enable some registry entries because they forgot to test drivers in A CLEAN OS INSTALL long time ago.They simply install and test the new builds on top of old ones after running their uninstaller that only partially clean the drivers from OS.

Driver team at work:

:3eyes::3eyes::3eyes::3eyes:
    :3eyes: :pc1: :3eyes:
    :3eyes::3eyes::3eyes::3eyes:

19. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    The Division Crossfire is flickering. Thx AMD.

20. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @velocity, the game just released today. I'm sure new Crimson version will come very soon...