Rumor: Nvidia Mobile Pascal-GPUS during Computex 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2016.

1. MADOGRE

MADOGRE Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980ti G1
    When Nvidia started charging top tier price(680) for the mid tier card is when this got out of hand IMO.
    The 680 and 980 should have never been $499+ cards, but with the competition in the market being weak I think it left the door open.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

nope

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lol, Yes, like only you remember things.
    At time GTX 680 came, GTX 580 was still around $450.
    And GTX 680 was not only faster than HD7970 upon release, it was actually 20~45% faster than mentioned GTX 580 in every single game.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_680_review,14.html

4. TBPH

TBPH Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 3.5+.5GB
    Yep. It only works if everything else remains constant except salaries, which would have to increase at the same rate as the inflation. (This is EXTREMELY important.) It also assumes that a 600mm2 GPU would have been possible back then for the same inflation-adjusted price, while the cost of manufacturing a 150mm2 hasn't changed.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    $500 in 2015. has roughly the same purchasing power as $400 in 2002.
    This figure should proly not be used in PhD dissertation, but it's suitable in giving us an overall feel for average price increase of general set of goods in USA market.

600mm2 GPU is mentioned for comparison purposes.
    This does not assume "that a 600mm2 GPU would have been possible back then for the same inflation-adjusted price".

But since you insist, you should be able to prove that this a wrong assumption.
    After you've done that, you should consider why such 600mm2 GPU IS possible in 2015.
    And it's possible because of ever-increasing R&D and wafer prices. Some (or maybe all) of it is passed down to consumer. All of this is fairly obvious.

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    You got that right. In Romania our minimum wage is 1/4th of NA's yet we pay around 30% more for GPUs. Average salary is probably even less than 1/4th.

I mean you can find 970s for let's say 320 bucks in NA, that's 1312RON in our currency.
    Meanwhile in RO 970s are around 1800RON which is around 440 bucks.

You have got to be f@cking kidding me.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Europe's been screwed with most of the hardware prices, availabilitie in terms of release dates (games too, everything has to wait for the US as they are the 'latest' launch area), and warranty times. Not only now that this is showing.

As I'd want to get back to topic a bit, I am still unsure of what's going to happen with Nvidia's Pascal launch. I was fairly sure that we will see the first products being (paper?) launched in Q2 or latest, early Q3, still with each passing day and lacking information on Nvidia's side, I tend to believe they have either got a problem with the chips not being available, or the HBM for their top end cards. Each day I see Pascal launching later than expected, at least that's my feeling about it.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, I think Pascal is going to be late and Nvidia itself kind of told us that with PX2. That being said, Nvidia almost never paper launches stuff. Maxwell literally came out of no where with the 750Ti. It just like randomly showed up one day. Yeah we knew it was coming, we knew Maxwell existed, but there was no major unveil for it or anything for it. Kepler was kind of the same way, they announced the 680 at GDC March 8th 2012, and it launched on the 22nd. I guess my point is, I don't see Nvidia unveiling a GTX1080 until they are ready to ship it within a month or so. GDC is coming up and I think we might see some more stuff there. But if the cards aren't ready to computex, like some rumors are saying, then I don't think you'll hear anything out of Nvidia until Computex.

And honestly it makes sense for Nvidia to keep quiet. Everyday I go over to /r/nvidia and /r/amd. On the Nvidia subreddit people are still buying 980Ti's because they all assume that Pascal is delayed to 2017 for whatever reason. On AMD though, because AMD showed off Polaris so early, most people assume that Polaris is right around the corner -- and the general consensus is to hold off on buying AMD stuff until Polaris comes out.

I think in the end that hurts AMD's short term sales, which is a bad strategy for them given their current market position. If Nvidia does showcase a Pascal GPU at GDC this month, it could potentially be bad for them, as all those people who are now waiting to buy a card might go "oh Pascal looks good, might just wait for that then".

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016