Rumor: Nvidia Mobile Pascal-GPUS during Computex 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I just read through my post again, I understand what you're saying, just not where you're going with it. My point was that the scaling is behaving erratically and doesn't seem to make much sense. How is the 390X scaling so well compared to Fiji ?

Pixel fillrate you say, then the Ti should be scaling well too
    Texture fillrate then, FX takes the crown with Hawaii/Maxwell trailing ? Not enough of a delta btw FX and Ti/Hawaii

I'm just saying it's complicated and these benchmarks are being taken to mean far more than they really do

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There are many factors in equation. And if combination hits right ones, unexpected results can happen.
    That is why one gets beefiest GPU one can. Because even if 2 weeks after purchase new GPU doubles something, it will take years for games to shift towards that particular performance improvement.
    And even then you would have GPU stronger than average Joe's one.

Well, they say something, but it is mostly not important. If I was to make benchmark, it would be IQ vs fps.
    When I tested Witcher 2 with Fiji I had it on 1080p maxed with ubersampling with fps reasonable to many. then I went for 1440p tests where ubersampling caused drastic fps drops. So, I did drop it. It resulted in better fps than 1080p and game looked much better.

3. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    At present the Fable benchmark is utterly useless, the idea of a benchmark is to show you the worst case results, with nothing happening no real characters on screen no spells cast this benchmark is only show BESTing case, game performance will noise dive when things heat up making the benchmark completely useless really. I don't want to see how my video card handles do nothing i want to see how it handles things in action with more particle effects etc. Not you get 30fps here but combat is 15fps what good is that if i have to go back into options and tweak them?

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    My fear is the significant increase on price for these new GPUs jumping this great gap on performance and features. I mean have you guys been paying attention at the evolution of prices for GPUs for the past 5 years? Far more than inflation and any other economic indicators. It won´t be long for a single gpu top end gpu to cost 1000€ and that´s scary.

5. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Titan X?

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Huh? It may be different in Portugal, but prices have gone down in the US.

The GTX 7800 launched at $650 is 2006, that's $764 today. The 9800XT was $500 in 2003, that's $650 today. The 8800GTX was $625, that's $715 today.

7. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    It´s different in Portugal alright. The EU has criminal prices anyway.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    this is nothing new. its always been like that.

GTX 980Ti vs GTX 480

~5-6(?) times more powerfull, 4 times more VRAM,
    whole hundred bucks more expensive

this is your fear? hundred bucks in 5 years... :cool:

9. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Not just a hundred bucks in Portugal regarding that scenario. I can´t give exact numbers because i don´t remember the price of the gtx480 but it was way chaper than the 980ti, perhaps 200€. Again, in Portugal. And yes, it scares me, to have the same job (as so many do) with just the obligatory small raises and to have prices increase so much, not just on GPUs, not just on electronics. I don´t know about you american chumps neither do i have full knowledge of your purchase power but cmon, Hilbert himself says it best on the gtx950 review

"Update, the basic models GTX 950 are going to cost roughly 179,00 EURO incl. VAT and $159 USD for the US. When did entry level gaming become this expensive ?"
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_950_strix_review,31.html

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The price of entry level gaming has been going up for the last few years....

11. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    I remember when I built my first computer back in 2003, the best consumer GFX card money could buy went for about 3000 NOK. Now 980 Tis go for about 7000-9000, Titan X 10.5k-14k. The biggest difference is that you need two cards these days to keep up with the screens. Instead of 3k for good performance on a good screen it's now around 14k and up for 4k. Of course prices and income have gone up a lot, but not nearly as much as the prices.
    I don't remember exactly which CPU I bought back then, but it cost around 1600 NOK I think. Basically in the same league as the 6700k today, pretty much as good as possible for gaming. The 6700k goes for 3790.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Inflation (NOK alone had nearly 24% inflation in that time period), taxes, price ceilings and currency exchange rates.

Have fun.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

2002. Geforce4 Ti4600 die size:150mm^2, $399
    2003. GeForce4 Ti 4800 die size???, price???
    2015. GTX 980Ti die size:600mm^2, $649
    -------------------------------------------------------------

$514 (adjusted for $ inflation) for measly 150mm^2 GPU <-- not such a great deal

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I guess what I am trying to say is, if GPU price hikes are scary to you, causing you "fear", or anything similar...
    you really have bigger problems to worry about

15. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    lol Don´t be stingy dude, i used the word fear casually.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know, like I said prices in the US have gotten cheaper/remained the same. Prices in other regions could be effected by a number of different things.

Overall I don't really have a problem with the pricing.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While I consider CPUs to be much more expensive in last 4 years as there is no AMD presence in i5/i7 performance range for gaming purposes.
    I can say that GPUs in last 10 years did become only like 10~20% more expensive.
    Back in 2000 Here in Czech Republic it would cost you one average monthly salary to get newest and greatest GPU.
    Today it is like 1.2x of average monthly salary.

Considering how much those GPUs moved in technology, how higher resolutions we use them at... They are not more expensive, they are just fine.

But taking in account low end GPUs, that is bit different story.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sorry if it sounded like that.
    But did you see that comparison above. hHgh end 2002 GPU vs 2015.
    150mm^2 vs 600mm^2, this is HUUGE increase in silicon estate.
    Which is even further increased with die harvesting nature.

Meanwhile cpu side in comparison:
    Pentium 4 -> Broadwell, mm^2 die size is roughly similar

Mentioning Titan in regards to pricing frustrations is superbly funny to me.

As if $1000+ absolute-high-end, with more VRAM than anyone will ever care for, with life-span of 3 month (until Ti arrives)
    and hence clearly aimed at customers who want the best-of-thebest RIGHT NOW(!) no-matter how silly the price, and who don't want to wait...
    as if such richy-rich product should be the source of frustrations for ANYONE, or should even be compared with GF2/3/4 vulgaris.
    Just because it's out there you don't have to buy it, ya know...

19. TBPH

TBPH Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 3.5+.5GB
    You mean as the next console? If so, no. Nvidia won't be used by the big two or Nintendo ever again because Nvidia charges too much.

20. TBPH

TBPH Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 3.5+.5GB
    Calculating with inflation is extremely flawed in a case like this for just about every reason...