AMD Radeon Crimson 16.2 Hotfix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    The only problem I see in 16.2 is that especially races in FC4 got a lot slower ( speed of vehicle), but race time is same hence not affected - WEIRD!

sumthin' is not right!

Other than that it's flawless..

2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    thanks for pointing this out.....i installed the vulcan driver over this one since you pointed this out....may as well get the best of both:)

3. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I never understood it either. Like with Elite dangerous, crossfire worked perfect for me until I installed 16.1. Not to mention I have a few other games that don't have profiles but actually work quite well with that check box option.

I'm staying with 15.12 until something is sorted. I'd suggest all CF users to do the same. The profiles they are releasing for the Division and Fallout 4 alone are worst that forcing it.

4. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Guest

GPU:
    2*7950 3GB @ 950/1250
    CF7950s here, can confirm.

Guess it's back to older drivers for me.

5. vancook

vancook Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8 GB
    This driver work good for me, i test some games and work good

6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Same here, witcher 3 perfoming good, installing GTA to test.

7. JuniorTavares

JuniorTavares New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280@1150/1500
    Anyone noticed when playing HD videos on players like media player classic, clocks doesnt raise anymore?

This never happened before these crimsom drivers. Also, the screen flickers from time to time if some HD videos are opened on the backgroud.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The GPU's power state should change if it's being used. It could be that your media player is no longer using DXVA (or hardware acceleration) and using the CPU instead.

9. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    same here... a week ago.
    This alone was a good enough reason to convince me to get a 390X.

Two months and two driver releases with Crossfire not working? You gotta be kidding me, goes to show how mgpu computing is nearing the end of the line.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  10. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    I managed to get thru an hour of X:Rebirth (v 4.0) using default crossfire settings, with only
    a few of those dreaded gfx card shut-downs - y'know those "AMD has ceased to function" thingies..
    - on each failure of Crimson, the game managed to restart ok, almost straight away..

- game looks fantastic, and runs very smoothly..:)

11. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    What I do is install the latest Drivers but without Crimson software and Crimson Software from 15.1.1 Crimson Beta that still has the checkbox. Crosffire actually works perfectly with that method and the checkbox ticked for me. It is rather mind boggling why they've removed it/crippled it since beta.

12. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Actually, VR is perfect candidate for mGPU. No issues with scaling and profiles there.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  14. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Just curious, but can anyone try playing Metal Gear Solid V with these drivers? I can't get the game to launch and don't know if its the drivers.

Edit: Nevermind, got it fixed

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  15. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I had been using the 13.4 Catalysts in Windows 7 on my 2011 vintage HP laptop with an A8-3500M APU and HD 6620G graphics because they had always worked better than any other ones. Just out of curiosity I went to the AMD driver download page to see what driver they were currently recommending. It said that the GPU , among many others, had been moved to legacy support because it was non GCN. It offered two drivers. The 15.7.1 WHQL Catalysts and The Crimson 16.2 beta for non GCN systems. I decided to give the Crimsons a try not expecting them to work. They installed successfully and when I tried a few games, my fps was about 10% better across the board. The settings application runs perfectly and opens up much faster than the old Vision Control Panel had.

The driver package installed an app called AMD Quick Stream which is supposed to automatically optimize your bandwidth according to your usage. It's supposed to improve video streaming and such. I tested my internet speed with and without it enabled and without it, my speed was much higher and consistent. It loads at startup so I just disabled that. Now, for some reason, my boot times have improved very noticeably from what they were before installing the Crimson driver. Before, I had the loading of CCC at start disabled. Now, I have left the entry for starting "CN" enabled and it still boots up much faster.

Big Crimson fan here.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

16. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    So, I gave these drivers a spin on the AotS benchmark, to see for myself what sort of benefits I'd get by going from DX11 to DX12 and to DX12 mGPU.

Hardware/OS: 4.3GHz 4770K, 2 290X @ 1100/1400MHz, 16GB 1866MHz CL9 RAM, Crimson 16.2. DX11 test ran on W8.1, DX12 on W10. DX11 test also had a 59FPS limit set via RTSS. Why? Because that's how I play all games and I wanted to see what performance I got using my preferred settings.

Game settings: 4K, High preset with MSAA off (don't need it), Glare set to Mid instead of Low, VSync off, FreeSync on (game has its own setting for FS)

DX11 single GPU: 33.5 FPS
    DX12 single GPU: 42.8 FPS, ~27% faster than DX11, mostly CPU bound
    DX12 multi GPU: 56.3 FPS, ~68% faster than DX11, ~31% faster than DX12 singleGPU, 100% CPU bound

Summary screenshots below:
    DX11
    [​IMG]

DX12 single GPU
    [​IMG]

DX12 multi GPU
    [​IMG]

As you can see, DX12 really does perform very well, but is very CPU heavy. Even with 1 290X at 4K and fairly high in-game settings a Haswell i7 still is the bottleneck most times. I'm happy to see that I can get 56FPS with FS at 4K though, I'm going to be replacing my CPU with a 4790K in the next few days, I'll probably squeeze past 60 with that one, or get very close.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    XFX Fury Pro review, using the new Crimsons.

http://www.legitreviews.com/xfx-rade...-review_179202

:D

18. pyza666

pyza666 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700XT
    New driver available on amd site: 16.2.1 Hotfix.

19. Zweite93

Zweite93 Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X Core Edition
    After install new 16.2.1 drivers my right click context menu for AMD settings just disappear.

20. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    Is anyone experiencing system freezes (computer goes completely unresponsive, sound on loop) upon starting MSI Afterburner during DXVA video playback? I have this ever since 15.7.1 on Windows 10.

LE it's a known problem - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5223016&highlight=freeze#post5223016 and others around.
    Next time I will know to search before asking stupid stuff. :biggun:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016