Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Insan1tyOne

Insan1tyOne Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 295X2
    Really? That is impressive... Do you have a highly over-clocked processor? I'm wondering if my CPU being stuck at 3.4 Ghz is causing me to have a bottleneck. But yes I feel like my game is performing really badly for some unknown reason.

- Insan1tyOne

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    4.6ghz...

you must be cpu bound somehow..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. uszpdoz

uszpdoz Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    im planning to upgrade soon(like in these few day)...and im just expecting to play more fallout 4 and upcoming dlc...so im planning getting r9 390(or 970)...well im kinda want to be loyal on the red team...my question is how does r9 390 performance for this games with the latest updates?TQ

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    quite well...

im on a 290, you should get 10% over me...

i do mid 50s at 1080p all ultra, high shadows and godrays restricted to 16x in crimson...

depends on your cpu clock though, its pretty cpu intensive...

5. uszpdoz

uszpdoz Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    im still using i5 3470 anyway haha....last time playing fallout 4 with my 280x i managed to get a good decent fps with mixed setting no godray and low shadow(got average 35 fps and 50+ fps is the highest)...so i can expecting a lot of performance boost right?i dont care much of other games anyway since most of the time i just play a lot of fallout 4 and replay some skyrim with mod and im planning doing that for fallout 4.

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    from a 280X to a 390?, absolutely yes

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I second this.
    Just testing the 280x I had before it died against my 290x, there was a nice increase.
    And a 390 is at 290x performance levels.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    A 390 is like a 290 OCed (and really is..) in regard to performance but it falls short to reach 290X.

9. uszpdoz

uszpdoz Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    Thank for all the information given guys...im still undecided since right now i can get sapphire r9 390 nitro or 970 at the same price.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Go for the Radeon just for the vram at this point.

11. mojobear

mojobear Guest

GPU:
    4-way crossfire R9 290
    Okay is this reflective of the entire game lol?

http://imgur.com/a/BwJEX

So I for fun went tcl in the command console at the beginning of the game to see what was rendered around the area...

This is what I found....water tessellation....under the ground lol.

Tin hat on! Is this ... crysis 2 all over again? haha

I didnt check if this was found in the rest of the game.

See attached images.

Cheers

12. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Inaccessible areas will have strange colors yes, when using tcl. Same as interiors disappearing after walking through the wall of a building. Tried it with some buildings in fo4.
    Has been the case since oblivion, so I didn't expect anything else this time.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Tried Fallout 4 again...I can't use 1800p VSR.

Black screen and loading circle (mouse pointer), 1080p no VSR works.

:bang:

14. Waterking32

Waterking32 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390x / 8gb
    Hey guys. New here. My fallout 4 clocks on my rig are fluctuating around 800mhz and sometimes reaching 1000. I have an r9 390x and this is low. I'm getting good performance however, but I'm assuming it could be much better?

should I use clockblocker to lock the clocks in place? Or just not worry about it?

15. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    nothing to be lost by using clockblocker so give it a try

16. Waterking32

Waterking32 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390x / 8gb
    Thanks for the reply that locked the clock speeds in place. But there's one other issue remaining. Gpu usage is all over the place. It goes from 100 to 0 and the entire line is just a series of bounces between. I know it's supposed to be constant. Any ideas?

17. uszpdoz

uszpdoz Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    in msi properties just tick enable unified gpu usage monitoring under amd compatibility section...so u can see the actual values ur gpu usage drop...for me the gpu usage drop around 65% and the fps will plummet around 40~28 even with the clockblocker or not.

18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    It plays perfectly fine on my current main system which is a Fx 6300 @ 4ghz and Gtx 780, all settings maxed God-rays on high instead of ultra,60 fps no problem.Cant wait to see how she runs on my i7 Machine!

19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Mine does this as well. I assumed it was because Fallout 4 has built in v-sync, so the GPU renders, waits, renders, waits and so on.

Never tried this before. Are you saying that it stops showing the 100% to 0% behavior in the MSIAB charts after changing this?

20. Waterking32

Waterking32 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390x / 8gb
    Thanks guys. Enabling gpu unified usage solved it and now my usage hovers around 60 to 70. Getting much better performance and a lot less stuttering.

Clockblocker is also maintaining my overclock at full speeds so that helped also.

The main problem I was having was solved by going into the documents and setting the presets. The ipresentinterval. I changed that and then there was one that disabled vsync. Something about forcesmoothness.

Anyways game is playing butter smooth now and I'm very satisfied. Thanks for all the help!!!!!