Linux And All The Choices - Information To Help

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DasFox, Jan 6, 2007.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

How is performance of emus on Linux vs windows?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you use Steam and the games you play have been ported to Linux, there's no hassle at all.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Will obviously yeah:D, but the amount of games that have been ported is still non-existent compared to whats already available on windows.

4. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    For all intents and purposes it's the same as windows (PCSX2,Dolphin), I can't give you any numbers but as I lock all my games to 60 FPS with Vsync they run full speed on both.

I suppose I could try uncapping the speed and seeing if there is a difference but I'd imagine it is small and also irrelevant (for me).

Stuff like Xenia and RPCS3 I can't comment on, it's unlikely I'll be bothering with them for a year or two.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The number of games released for each platform is irrelevant. All that matters is whether or not the games you play are available.

radosuaf likes this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    After dabbling some time with Arch, Manjaro and the famous "Arch way" of purism-elitism *nix users i found out a new player.
    Antergos https://antergos.com
    very K.I.S.S focused distro, really is a GUI installer added to the Arch way and to the Arch kernel.
    I was very pleasantly surprised testing it, but with a few quirks...why in 2016 people forget about Samba printing ?
    But beside this small nuissance, it is a very good distro,and above all, a rolling distro.
    After trying Open Suse's Tumbleweed i was taken aback for ever trying rolling distros.Somehow had my fix with Solydk, but still, wanted something ..new.
    Well, i think i found something to play with.

7. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    Thoughts on Elementary OS for a newbie?

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Ubuntu might be better for a newbie on linux. Works well with GNOME. It's rather restricted in what you can do and play about with but it works well enough for a modern desktop.

HK-1 likes this.
  9. smush

smush Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 8GB
    I've tried various distros myself over the years beginning in 2007/8 was never keen on Ubuntu my distro of choice used to be openSUSE but I favour Mint these days even have it installed on relative's laptop (XFCE version) as I was tired of having to constantly provide assistance when something went wrong running Windows and he seems to have taken to it quite well hardly ever get asked to fix anything and it has a Windows familiarity to it without having to resort to one of the lesser known distros that lack a proven track record and either struggles to run on older hardware or suddenly stops receiving updates and support.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    These days, I mostly use CloudReady when I don't want to use Windows.... CloudReady is an open source variant of Google's ChromeOS, which is Linux based. If there's something I absolutely NEED Linux for, I generally stick to Ubuntu.

11. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    yep I agree, myself running Ubuntu 16.04.3 in dual boot with W10 2016 LTSB(C) no issues :)

12. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    HK-1 likes this.
  13. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    @ Zeka yep very good contribution dude thanks a lot for the heads up :), although I haven't issues with Linux O.S. (in case Ubuntu 16.04.3) but remember that I don't use overclock in mobo/gpu at least for a while :D AMD rock's always :p

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  15. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Update: I've been experimenting with different drivers, and so far I found oibaf's drivers most stable and most games run very nicely.

Built in AMD drivers from Ubuntu are bad for games, some don't work at all, while in others I experienced freezing of the entire system, subsequent file corruption (because I had to reboot), sound issues etc. The beta drivers from AMD didn't do much better and were mainly targeted at mining community, so the drivers were mostly optimized for that purpose.

I've run CS:GO, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2: Directors Cut etc, these all run fine with oibaf drivers
    Check this page: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So after some hesitations i´ve decide to venture myself in the dark and mysterious would of Linux! For this adventure i´ve chose the manjaro distro and installed it on my laptop but i´m already facing some issues...

First and most important, i can´t connect to my Wi-fi network. My Wi-fi is recognised by the system but after i enter the password, the system tries to connect to it over and over again without any permanent connection... Any tips?

Second, my laptop uses Nvidia Optimus system, meaning that it uses Intel GPU for normal usage and Nvidia GPU for intensive use but apparently this system doesn´t work on Linux... From what i´ve read only one GPU must be working but i don´t know witch one because i can´t find any graphical options with the exception of changing the resolution of the screen... What to do?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!!!

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello and welcome to the Linux dark side, and yes we have cookies.
    So many things to say.
    Let's start

For starters, I always recommend going live first with a Linux USB with your favourite distro. And if all works, then install it.
    If already installed, then we can proceed.
    Check the name of the device
    Code:
     iw dev
    check if the wireless driver of your network card installed properly

Code:
    lspci -k
    the code will output what card and drivers you are using

All right, now that we know what we have let's find what we don't know.
    What flavour mof Manjaro are you using? XFCE, KDE, Cinnamon?
    What network manager?
    If getting an IP address repeatedly fails using the default dhcpcd client, try installing and using dhclient instead. Do not forget to select dhclient as the primary DHCP client in the connection manager.

For the Nvidia switchable graphics, Bumblebee or Prime should be used.
    From Wiki
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

If anything, could you dl Antergos and run live USB. I have installed in all my machines and runs well, even is a rolling distro and it's almost 99%Arch. And runs flawlesly on my Tnhikpad notebook, almost for 2 years.
    Here is my inxi file from main machine

Code:
    System:    Host: Skylake Kernel: 4.17.13-arch1-1-ARCH x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.13.4
               Distro: Antergos Linux   ( )
    Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME v: Rev 1.xx serial: <root required>
               UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3801 date: 03/14/2018
    CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-6600K bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 6144 KiB
               Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800
    Graphics:  Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X]
               driver: amdgpu v: kernel
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.0 driver: ati,modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
               resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
               OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10 DRM 3.25.0 4.17.13-arch1-1-ARCH LLVM 6.0.1)
               v: 4.5 Mesa 18.1.5
    Audio:     Card-1: Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
               Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 580] driver: snd_hda_intel
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.17.13-arch1-1-ARCH

Runs all latest kernel and latest Mesa and sound drivers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    H83 likes this.
  18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi anticupidon!

So i already installed Manjaro on my laptop, that i use basically for streaming, and i choose the XFCE because it seems the best version for a beginner like me. About the the Wi-fi issue the problem is already solved by itself. I just booted the system and the Wi-fi was working perfectly.

My first impressions of Linux so far are very good. The installation was a breeze, very fast and the installation menu is very easy and cool, so cool i even confused it by a full install... After the installation was complete i found the system up and running almost perfectly with the exception of the Wi-fi. Manjaro comes with all the basic stuff installed, office suites and such, and seeing all the hardware with all the drivers properly installed and running as a very pleasant surprise specially when compared to an Windows install. MS could learn a couple of tricks from Linux´s book...

Of course not everything is perfect and i´m having an "hard" time with basic stuff i´m used to do in windows like customize the system and the hardware on it... Regarding the graphics, Manjaro installs Bumblebee automatically but i can´t find the panel control for Intel and Nvidia´s GPUs so i can customize them. Also streaming is a little strange, before with W7, i would plug an HDMI cable in the laptop and on the TV so i could see it on TV. And we have a combo of keys, Fn and F4, to change the display modes. On Manjaro the combo doesn´t work and instead i connect the cable and the image automatically appears on both screens. The problem is that the image on the laptop doesn´t scale properly and gets the same size as the image on TV...

Most of this issues are small and probably caused by me because i´m not used to Linux so no problem i guess... I´l just take it easy and learn as i go along.

Anyway thanks for you help and suggestions. much appreciated!!!

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Linux is all about choice, if a distro doesn't work for you, you can pick another.
    For connecting a projector or a TV via HDMI or DP best desktop tool is available in KDE. XFCE uses ARandR I think.
    Once you plugged in the external TV or whatever screen you have this menu shows up in KDE, then you can configure separately the resolution and refresh rate.

[​IMG]

There is some myth surrounding KDE as being the heaviest, resource hungry desktop but I was pleasantly surprised to see KDE running in computers with Core Duo CPUs and 2 GB of RAM.
    One thing, running Manjaro one was to be aware of the fact that sometimes things just can break. Make sure you install Timeshift and make regular back-ups, you can save yourself a lot of hassle.

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Forgot to tell about TLP
    First make sure you have instaled the latest microcode:
    Code:
    sudo pacman -Syu intel-ucode
    Then install TLP:

Code:
    sudo pacman -S tlp iw smartmontools --noconfirm --needed
    Normally, TLP works better for Thinkpads, but the general opinion is that all TLP's default settings are working well for almost all brands.