Linux And All The Choices - Information To Help

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DasFox, Jan 6, 2007.

1. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I wouldnt expect those intergrate S3's to do aero (since most I've had my hands on havent) or equally the linux eye candy (beryl?).

2. AxiMaxi

AxiMaxi New Member

GPU:
    GIGA Byte / Model! / 1GB
    omg , this is so informative thread guys... thx alot all for the help :)

3. panZEr330

panZEr330 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX280 @666/2333
    Grub will act as the bootloader (installed into MBR) and chain itself to the Vista Bootloader. Works great, all automatic also - you won't have to do anything. Editing the menu.lst in your /boot/grub directory to default to Vista is all you'll need to do probably.

Also, Ubuntu 9.04 worked 'out of the box' (fresh install) with my built in wireless on my desktop's asus p5e3 mobo. First linux distro to do this! Very cool. Nvidia drivers work good, installed the compiz fuzion settings manager and got the cube up and all effects, no problems at all.

EDIT
    As far as I know, graphics acceleration doesn't work properly in a virtual machine. I use virtual box and even with graphics hardware acceleration checked with 128mb of Vram dedicated to the VM (that's max for vbox) you can't enable even simple desktop effects. This could change someday... I know it will probably not work with virtual pc (microsoft) and I can't speak for VMWare.

EDIT:

HOLY COW
    So I installed the newest virtualbox, 2.2.2 I think - and installed ubuntu 9.04 on it. Had to update, install guest additons, change permissions on /tmp directory (sudo chmod 777 /tmp) - and voila, desktop effects work!
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager
    (to install the settings manager)

And the cube and all effects work. I had thought this was impossible...
    Pretty sweet, here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

I urge everyone here to give this a shot, especially since most of you have mega computers.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RT-6900XT LC
    I've been trying out openSUSE 11.1 for about 2 weeks now. Have it dual booting Vista/openSUSE on 2 systems (a P4 2.4/2Gb, a Athlon 64 3400+/2gb) and triple boot (XPpro/Vista x64/openSUSE x64) on my Phenom II X3-720BE/8Gb setup. A bit of a learning curve but I'm liking openSUSE more and more.

Sam

5. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Does audio out the HDMI work on any linux versions? I failed to get it working with Ubuntu and Mint (ubuntu derivative).

6. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Linux Mint 9 KDE 64 bit = Epic based off ubuntu 10.04lts streamlined.

7. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    I updated the dead links and added in new links.

So more goodies guys, enjoy! ;)

8. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    AH I need to install it so badly on my PC as all my uni assigments are in Linux,but god damn thing wont work!
    I isntall everything fine, partitions,boot loader blah blah,but it always skips boot menu,so i cant choise what i want, Linux or Windows :(

9. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    skips boot loader? did you try manually creating a 150mb ext4 partition mounted to /boot? What you do is install windows first and then linux second. If you install windows last, it changes the boot. What version of linux as you using?

10. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    After you get used to Ubuntu, I'd recommend Manjaro as a good step up from that, much faster, and much more stable, also far far easier to upgrade the kernel, and updates are very smooth too, rolling release :)

See, I don't consider Ubuntu as a permenant Linux OS, more like a starting point for people to help them get used to Linux :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

11. Blacklash

Blacklash Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 470 4Gb
    I've been trying Mint 16 with KDE here. I'm using the 3.12.8 kernel and the nVidia 331.38 driver. I changed the colors and icons to a dark scheme. I like it. It's slick.

I've run Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, Drakensang, Neverwinter and AoC on it so far; I used PlayOnLinux.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just noticed that Ubuntu is almost up to a "T" release with "14.04 Trusty Tahr"

Made me think, that means there is only 6 builds left before they hit "Z"

What will they do then? Start again with "A" ?

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Ubuntu with Unity is horrid, I hate that interface, too dumbed down from what it used to be. Kubuntu on the other hand (or Ubuntu with KDE mashed on top), I do like. Running it on a spare machine to mess around with. Keep meaning to give openSUSE a go when I can be arsed to buy an 8GB pen drive.

14. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I started out with Ubuntu -> Debian and now I'm at Linux Mint 16. I'm also running a Kali Linux to do naughty stuff, for pure educational purposes ofc ;)

Mint is by far one of THE most userfriendly and lesser bugged Linux distros I've ever tried. Ubuntu is great but it's pretty bugged. Debian is solid as a rock but too conservative and boring.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you want an "install and use" experience for Linux, OpenSuSE 13.1 is great. Not sure what went wrong, but OpenSuSE 13.2 is unstable as hell for me. I tried to "upgrade" my OpenSuSE 13.1 installation to 13.2 but the system was completely unbootable. I had to wipe all 4 partitions and start all over. I tried doing a clean install of 13.2, but it's still unstable and thus, unusable.

16. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    HI, I would like to install Kubuntu. I have installed on C(40 Gb) win8.1.
    It's my first time installation of Kubuntu.

When I installed win 8, there was of partition about 100mb which windows reserved.
    If I boot Kubuntu, can I format only C, so that data on D,E stays there ?
    Does installing kubuntu changes something with this reserved partition ?
    Is there some difference in installing than windows ?
    Can i mess up something so that I loose D and E?
    Thx

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    sorry for the late response
    about that 100 mb partition

http://www.howtogeek.com/192772/what-is-the-system-reserved-partition-and-can-you-delete-it/

best practice is first make a back up or better an image of that drive/partitions
    here is a nifty tutorial

http://www.avoiderrors.net/create-windows-image-backup-using-ubuntu/

after you have everything backed up you can :

1 dual boot -choose what OS you want when you start your computer,and if you choose to dual boot the hard drive has to be re-partitioned to make room for Kubuntu,let's say and still have Windows partitions on it.
    When you install the SO of choice Kubuntu ,make sure to choose /dev/sda where to install GRUB,the bootloader..that means you want GRUB in the main disk ,not in a specific partition ,like /dev/sda1.or /dev/sda2..etc
    it is simpler and will come handy if you decide to go back and use windows again and restore the MBR as it was before.

2 install Linux on a dedicated HDD and choose from boot menu what hdd you want and avoind altering prtitions and modify MBR .
    In htis case just follow the Linux installer and you're done!h

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    no reason to create a separate thread, but no much love for *Nixes, eh?:)
    yes, stand to reason the being a Guru3d forum ,almost everything is about gaming, DX and Microsoft.I respect that and i am thankfull for having this.

But lately. in the all Windows 10 hurdle, i felt the need to fall back to my *Nix and now i am running fully Gnu/Linux in the ideea of regaining my sanity and a bit of my privacy.
    Gaming wise, Steam works wonders and i have yet to play all games from my Steam library under Linux.

I realize that this is not Fb and a place to brag about running whatsoever OS..still, i woder if another gurus are running anything else beside Windows, and are still gaming.

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What do you require that Win 7 or better yet 8.1 cant provide?

Windows maybe the go to OS to bag on, but it just works and gaming support is second to none.

Linux? i dont really see the point if you're still looking to game as the headaches are going to be more effort than simply installing 7\8.1, turning off services you dont agree with, then installing a game that was released yesterday or in the last 26 years. Then theres emulation so, 30 years.

20. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB

Running Manjaro here and still game but mainly emulation (PCSX2,Dolphin,Final Burn Alpha etc.) some linux builds and some running through Wine. I don't have Steam installed as nearly all the games I play are on emulated systems but I do play some Windoze games, currently playing Trails in the Sky SC which works absolutely perfect.

Hopefully Vulkan takes off and we will start to get more Linux builds for games. Win7 was the last good MS OS imo, with 10 it's dead to me now.