AMD Zen Can Have 32 Cores per Socket

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Can .. I wrote 'can have' .. Anyway a leaked Linux patch on LKML.org, first spotted by The New Citavia Blog, suggests that AMD Zen based processors will feature up to 32 physical cores. The patch a...

AMD Zen Can Have 32 Cores per Socket

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Will be nice AMD really need a big win against Intel ........... Let's hope 32 zen cores have really good performance and not just lots of cores

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I know more cores are fun and all, but even in 2016 PC consumers still prefer higher performance per core, rather than core count. (Thank you lazy developers)
    The core count worries me a bit, but I hope it's only for future extensions.

If performance per core won't come up close to Skylake, we facing yet another Bulldozer.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    We'll get 4 and 8 cores for desktops. Servers are ones getting more cores while running lower voltage & clock to have greater power efficiency.

With 1st DX12 test I did realize that 8-core CPU will optimal as one needs some threads for game itself. With Vukan it will matter little if CPU has 4 or 8 cores as that drastically reduces need for CPU power.
    And you mistake apple for potato. Total performance of 8 core Bulldozer was around total performance of 4 Core i5.
    That was 1/2 IPC on AMD side and no performance bonus in total.

Now, you will see performance equivalent to 80~90% of intel's chips per core while having 8 cores / 16 threads.
    So even if AMD may lag behind in single threaded performance, they'll get total CPU performance win.

That's why I expect 6-core i5 soon.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

5. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Was just going to post this! :nerd: Just because some version are going to have 32 cores doesn't mean every chip will have that many! Pretty sure AMD are just planning for the future.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Shame PC i plagued with Console Ports that only support 1 or 2 cores.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well if it's true and AMD can indeed catch up to 80-90% of Intel's CPUs, only selling cheaper will really get at Intel's market share for gamers. And that's only if devs aren't lazy and really give us games that make use of more than four cores regularly, not only AoS... and I hope AMD does make good money of maybe relatively cheap priced CPUs (even though they had serious R&D costs).

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Better late than never, I guess. If Zen is really successful, that might actually happen. Though I wouldn't be holding my breath. Making a 6-core is slightly more expensive for Intel and if Zen can put up a good fight, Intel can't as easily raise their prices. The Intel execs would sooner cut their own stomachs than cut their profit margins.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What AMD needs to do right this time, is to understand their products which are currently on market.
    See exactly which will become obsolete by their own newer chips, when those chips are going to be available. What is current stock, how many they sell each month, how many are in market chain and time properly moment when they'll no longer manufacture those old chips.
    As part of their financial loss is trashing unsold chips.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I personally think that we won't see i5 hexacores before 2018. Everything that comes out this year is already fixed and under production I'd say, 2017 will be in the works and fixed before Zen will hit the streets. Maybe I see it too pesimistically, but as chip making isn't a business that happens in the spring time when they want to launch in fall, I don't expect them to instantly counter anything zen might put AMD ahead with.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, intel can count cores, multiply values. I think they can guess where those chips will be. They know for very long time that Zen will have 8 core variant, and +-40% higher IPC over Excavator.
    I can guess myself as I did.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    :banana::banana::banana:

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Maybe you're right. Which gives them an educated guess, but no real numbers still. Not sure they want to see and wait if AMD delivers or does not... I wouldn't make my business plan solely on the guess if AMD does another Bulldozer or not. And they certainly don't want to give us a cheap hexacore if they'd not be threatened by AMD.

So the question is, does Intel feel threatened? I don't think so.

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That's a nice core count right there.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AMD has had some high core counts in the past too.

I am probably not going to spell it right, but magny cores had a ton load of them. :D

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Magny-Cours? They're more about curcuits than cores I think :D
    (sorry couldn't resist)

17. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    All AMD need to do is match intel performance per hz and add two more cores and it´ll sell like cupcakes!! :nerd:

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    What are you talking about?

Both consoles at least give access to 5-6 cores for games.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Which is weird considering Wii U is 3 core, rest of the consoles use 7 out of 8 for gaming. Well one day. One fine day they will add rudimentary multicore support at least.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would still prefer 4-8 very fast cores vs 32 super slow cores. Multicore support is still lacking and i am afraid that Intel will still come on top when Zen arrives.

Like someone above said, 6 core i5's would be a best thing.