Seagate Sued Lawsuit over High HDD Failure Rates

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RighteousRami

RighteousRami Guest

GPU:
    2 MSI 980 SLI
    lol this is so late but worth it. Seagate drives suck.

i worry for ppl like Linus who are running something like 24+ Seagate *8TB drives. Poor him.

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Basing something like this on Backblaze data is ridiculous though. Backblaze runs the drives in an environment not suited for consumer drives, and unlike to any ordinary consumer setup.

Not that I particularly like Seagate drives, but that backblaze data has been severely overrated and mis-interpreted on the web ever since it came out.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have had so many Seagate drives die on me so this information is not like some amazing revelation.....

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Ditto.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Haven't had a Seagate drive in years, and back then only a single one. Was the only HDD that died on me btw. Haven't bought one since then, not looking back.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Yep, I got one of these 3Tb drives, failed 2 months ago and was 18 months old. Its the 2nd drive I've had fail in 25 years of using PC's. The other drive was 5 years old when it failed.

I replaced it with a WD drive, won't be buying Seagate again( I have 4-5 old Seagate drives that are 5-7 years old, no issues )

8. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    iirc google hdd reliability (http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/ja//archive/disk_failures.pdf)
    also mention enterprise hdd are not more reliable compared to consumer drives

and i think some people experience same thing too...for me, i got wdc RE2 failing in my raid array, ever since that i never buy enterprise hdd, especially for SOHO where i myself paid for those, i dont think extra money worth... for company server and such, it depends on the company but imo many opted for "value"

i believe many company running on consumer drives instead enterpise hdd nowdays, well google seems do that ...
    i wouldnt suprised if those online-storage company doing the same

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    My Seagate 1.5tb is 5+ years old and still going strong, ive always has a seagate of some sort and always found them reliable

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Bought two 3Tb Seagate drives once from UK in 2012 (3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 Barracuda) and BOTH were DOA. Never bought one again.

Buy only WD Green 3Tb & 4Tb now and never had a single one fail yet (have over 10 i think between workstation and HTPC server).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    How come the competitors' drives are doing fine then, compared to Seagate? They should be subjected to the same environment and use. Surely you aren't saying that home users should be happy getting pos drives. Not to mention there aren't two people in the world who would use their drives in exactly the same manner. Somebody might do a backup twice a month, someone else could be running his own little server for his own needs with a lot of transfer every day.

In any case from the article is seems the case is based on Seagate failing its own promises, so it's fine. If Seagate had advertised the drives as cheap things standing mediocre use but no more, there would be no case (or sales, but that's a different matter).

12. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    What about the 2TB drives; had two die on me within a week and my current ones are both showing end-to-end errors?

13. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    This is ridiculous statement, probably, damage control excuse supplied by Seagate PR department through paid articles. So, drives from other companies works perfectly well in "non consumer" environment, but Seagate is somehow "special"? I know their drives are "special" because I've lost all of them. I was lucky owner of multiple Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 with 23% percent failure rate. "Non consumer" environment my ass.

If temperature and humidity are in operational range then drive should perform as advertised.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've had a mixture of Seagate, WD, and Samsung HDDs over the years, and weirdly the only two still working, are Seagates, and one of them is an ancient 160GB thing

15. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    Their old drives weren't bad, but they went downhill after joining with maxtor

I made the mistake of owning a 3tb Seagate drive.. After it failed a second time within 12 months I just binned it

16. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    The only Seagate drive I have is a 4TB model that came out like 2yrs ago. It did BlueScreen on me when I first installed 2TB of stuff on the first day, but since then it has functioned like a normal back-up drive.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I miss them Samsung SpinPoint Drives.

Though i'm happy with my 2x 2,5 Inch 1TB WDs. Why 2,5 Inch you would ask? Cuz they are super silent :)

18. Michael Chen

Michael Chen Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC-U
    Well we have a 16-bays storage filled with ST3000DM001 disks in our lab.
    It just passed it's 3yr warranty, and I replaced over 20 disks, which means (in average) every disks in it failed more than once.
    Finding it's high failure rate for several months, the lab turned to WD disks.
    We have 100+ WD Red and Black disks in our storage now, with average 1~2 failure per month.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Have 3 of the 1tb units in a couple machines (ST1000DM003). So far so good since 2012. Only got them for performance due to being fastest 1tb drives on the market.

20. mubbii

mubbii Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 8600GS-500mb
    the deserve

i bought seagate for the first time in 2008 it was Maxtor DiamondMax 22 (7200.11) 500Gb. its model number is STM3500320AS.

Now the beauty of this model was that it had a BUG in its Firmware after 360 times of booting it automatically locked itsself. it would turn on i could hear its platters but BIOS nor windows could read it or detect it. i still have it but lack of technical support in 3rd world countries ( its your problem not ours). although they did help people in western countries , you send in Faulty HDD ,you pay the shipping they recover the data for you but you have pay for the new drive.
    I lost all my DATA! never bought seagate again.
    To be fair western digital blue drive also suddenly die on me too!

I hope everbody who suffered from seagate sue them for every penny they have!