Rise of the Tomb Raider performance, and troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, Jan 27, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yet when I see that AMD performance, and when you need a 4790k/960 to match the Xbox One, I'm starting to doubt a lot of things. I don't blame Nixxes, mind you. Let's not forget that the game was supposed to be out next November, when Square Enix saw it would tank with only the Xbox One sales, they called Nixxes to do a port in less than 6 months apparently.

Why not HBAO+? Your card should chew through it.

2. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Seeing how the game runs yeah you are right, will activate it.

3. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    I am rendering out a video now at 4k to show an example of performance. I get around 25fps on average.

I do blame Nvidia mainly because every gameworks title in 2015 had performance issues resulting in mid range cards being damn near unplayable and high end cards struggling. The xbox version has async computing which enabled a 7850 equivalent card to run this game on what would be equivalent to high settings.

Note that Nvidia cards don't do great with async computing and that it is turned off in the PC version.

4. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Running on the default High settings with VSync off, AA set to SMAA and Motion Blur off it struggles to keep 60 fps @ 1080p in the open areas, it fluctuates somewhere between 50-something and 60. The hair has a pretty big impact when turned on/off but negligible when switched from on to very high. Strangely, AF seems to cut a few fps when increased. HBAO+ has a pretty large impact. If that AMD driver can add a few more fps and deliver closer to 60 fps minimum, it will be great.

5. BingoBongo

BingoBongo Guest

GPU:
    Fury X Crossfire
    Doesn't seem to work with Crossfire, this. Have tried numerous tricks but nothing. Gonna need a new driver :(

6. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah, i know what you mean, but it is what it is.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    4 Points and a conclusion:

1- Ethics and business don't mix well when it's legal to get money for "free".

2- Game devs do what publishers want them to do.

3 -Modern graphically demanding PC AAA titles requiere dedicated GPU hardware.

4- If a game publisher can have the "support" ($$$) and sticker from the GPU maker of 80% of your target consumers in PC it's logic that they take the money look elsewhere and let them to add features like Gameworks to their game code even when this code effectively f*** other GPUs makers performance.

Conclusion: The game get $$$ and a nice Nvidia sticker, a win-win situation for game publisher and Nvidia, not so much for PC gamers.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  8. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    How lovely :(

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The more I hear the more it sounds like a rushed port to me (for Nixxes standards anyway). The numbers from Eurogamer seem to be different from the numbers from PClabs.de, and it's really stupid that a 7850 can do this, while a 380(x)/280(x)/770/680 for some reason cannot.

10. BingoBongo

BingoBongo Guest

GPU:
    Fury X Crossfire
    Yup it sucks. I run a 4k monitor too so without support it's like a slide show on max settings.

Praying they fix this.

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I want to play this game in 4K (obviously with some settings turned down) or at 1440p. I really need CrossFire for that.

Well, looks like i have to wait once again. :(

12. MSIOCGenie

MSIOCGenie Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    Does a 960 run the game in sub 30FPS at sub 1080 at equivalent settings? The game seems to be a looker, so perhaps it's kind of justified. With that said, drivers and patches could very well improve performance, and it's just sad that they didn't take an extra month or so to polish the game.

That would've allowed them - hopefully - to implement DX12, which would probably lead to a lot of buzz, and improved sales in the end. Short term gain is not always the best way to go.

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    deleted

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  14. Newbie2012

Newbie2012 Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB-CustomLoop
    Nah. I was worried myself when I heard about gameworks.

It runs pretty well. And probably the best looking game I've ever seen.

I'm a happy customer.

Also the benchmarks look way worse than what I am getting. 35-40 fps @ 1600p. Spikes to maybe 55 odd time but never below 30. No real stutter either i've noticed.

15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    No CrossFire support and you are a happy customer? I would be a mad customer.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You realize that your card is almost four times the hardware of the Xbox One GPU, and your CPU probably eight times the hardware, right? It's not that the game doesn't look awesome, but requiring a 4790k/960 for parity shows that there's something wrong with the port.

I believe it was rushed (by Nixxes standards, and it's not even their fault I bet).

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Why can't he be a happy CFX user?

CFX is perfectly disabled in this game, it has ZERO GPU scaling problem.

:D

18. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    New drivers should be out soon. AMD's just putting the finishing touches on a new feature that'll roll out with this set. A teaser below:

"First we brought you ZeroCore. Today, we bring you ZeroFire. That's right folks, we've disabled crossfire for good! No more worries...rest easy knowing that crossfire will not be supported...not today and not in 6 months. Along with this new hassle free multi-GPU lifestyle, you can count on huge energy savings! We still encourage new customers to buy a second GPU to give your system that symmetrical appearance you deserve. You asked for vsync, triple buffering and day one crossfire support...we give you craptor, crimson and...Zerofire!"

:)

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    ZEROFIRE

You made my day!

:D

I should be laughting if i was a single GPU user.

Expect HUGE sales of Fury X2.

20. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    +1 props