Rise of the Tomb Raider performance, and troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, Jan 27, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's not that I wouldn't find it believable that the DX12 path is only enabled for 12_1 cards on select GameWorks titles.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well there's still only a few games and game engines that make use of D3D11_1 and I don't think there's any that are known to use D3D11_2 at all although with D3D12 things are a bit different I suppose as both feature levels are available from the start and it depends on what the GPU supports that determine which feature level it classes into.
    (Not really sure how it works in DirectX and the display drivers, I assume since AMD is missing a few pieces for full 12_1 compliance it can't be enabled at all despite having some features supported and then for Nvidia there was that async compute stuff which we'll just have to see how well it works when/if developers start using it, for this game it seems it's used in the XBO version but absent in this PC port.)

Will be interesting to see how this will go but I suppose it matters little with only a handful of games and game engines even having D3D12 support at all (This ships with DX11 and it seems a update is planned for DX12 in some form and then Hitman in a few months will be using DX12 as well.) and when more developers start adopting this new DirectX version newer GPU models from both AMD and Nvidia should be available with full support for both feature levels. :) (Has the XBO console been updated with whatever form of D3D12 support it was supposed to have yet?)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  3. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Do you have by any chance a source? I cannot find anything about it.

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

5. Grabber

Grabber Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 7850
  6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
  7. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
  8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  9. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here is Full Eurogamer Digital Foundry GPU Test.

Published on Jan 28, 2016

Can the GTX 970 and R9 390 handle Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed at 1080p60? The answer's no - this game is demanding, trashing our budget PC on console equivalent settings. You'll need a quad-core processor and a GTX 960 to beat the Xbox One experience, and GTX 970 to hit 1080p60.

"The battle between the GTX 970 and the R9 390 is fascinating. With frame-rates unlocked and settings maxed at 1080p, the Nvidia card provides a 47.5fps average, matched up against 48.8fps on AMD - but it doesn't tell the full story. Some sections of gameplay see the GTX 970 pull ahead by up to 5fps, while interior scenes, cut-scenes and close-ups see the R9 390 dominant.
    The contest is even more interesting in that Rise of the Tomb Raider is known to use asynchronous compute - a hardware-level feature absent on Nvidia hardware and fully implemented on the R9 390."

UPD. Yes PC version uses Hardware-level asynchronous compute on Radeon GCN, it's Eurogamer Digital Foundry not some lol site ;-)

Rise of the Tomb Raider GTX 970 vs R9 390/1080p60

11. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    RoTR is using Async-Compute on consoles only.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The game is not using Asynchronous Compute on the PC, since it's not running on DX12. I have a feeling that a lot of the slower performance we're seeing on both sides is due to DX11 and nothing else.

There is no way that the 4790k/GTX960 are the equivalent of the Xbox One in any sense, yet that seems to be the requirement to get 1080p30 at similar settings as the console. It seems to me that the time to switch APIs is more and more imperative now.

13. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    Huang who likes to play real dirty won't allow it.At least not until Pascal is released. He spends thousands on sabotaging introduction of dx12 into mainstream gaming and pushing his proprietary performance tanking nonsense into games. :)

I LOLed when I read their TomB Raider guide btw..

they don't even acknowledge that it's essentially TressFX ergo AMD's tech..
    the same can't be said about their pubichair tech though! :grin:

14. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    driver still not up yet, still 1 hours until the game is unlocked, hopefully the driver will be out until then.

15. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

16. MSIOCGenie

MSIOCGenie Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    Let's hope AMD doesn't delay this driver, and that it actually improves performance.

Anyway, has there been any actual confirmation of DX12 support being patched in later?

17. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    game ready to launch in 15 minutes for me, will do some test before the driver release.

18. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56

There was a stream where they mentioned currently the DX11 code runs better, until they can't achieve better user experience with DX12 they will not patch it to the game...

19. MSIOCGenie

MSIOCGenie Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    Thanks! If that is indeed true(not your statement, their reasons), and these Nvidia conspiracies are not, I am impressed by Nixxes for their pragmatic stance on game development.

20. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    performance is not that bad tbh, it does fluctuate weirdly, lowest i had was 49fps, high 88fps, stays around 60-70 most of the time, running at 1080p, all maxed out, FXAA, no HBAO+.

But guys, this game looks breathtaking, really nothing like i ever saw. Graphics is just amazing.