Cheap media center build parts advice...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mitzi76, Jan 19, 2016.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    So old amd chip failed after 10 yrs service not bad. Actually think it was the original stock cooler that caused the death...found the cooler hanging off the cpu with dried paste.

So have case+psu but that's it. Basically want something that will surf the net and do basic word processing etc.

So would a cheap quad-core amd chip suffice something like this?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...80ghz-socket-am3-processor-oem-cp-369-am.html

Guess even a dual-core would be fine...

Ideas? (I guess something like the cm hyper 212 ok for the cooler?)

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AM1 works perfect. Low cost, low powered, easy management as well. =] I have 3 am1+ itx builds I use with Kodi, Steam Streaming, and NAS connections for media storage and sharing.

I am not too sure on operating system if you are not going to use Windows, because I'm not sure on APU drivers for Linux or OpenElec...

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    You mean an athlon 5150? Actually now am leaning towards the a6-6400 because of the integrated graphics..

I do have an old 8400 gts but need to check it still works. To be honest I still dont know for sure what killed the old pc...am pretty sure it's cpu due to the cooler having broken off and the dried paste...

(if the gpu is compat am guessing I need a new board as cpu was pretty old).

As the pc is just for surfing (actually dont need kodi I should have made that clear) and word processing.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  4. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Either the Sempron or Athlon would work. I would advise getting the quad core at least if you go that route.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Thanks so it seems am doing a4-6300 build soon...dual-core integrated graphics which hopefully works ok just for desktop use.

6. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    As vbetts has said. AMD AM1. Don't consider anything else. No point for an HTPC.

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Except I might want the integrated graphics...which if am not mistaken I cant get with am1.

(just am not sure my old 8400 gts is alive still). Suppose I could buy a £10 one...but then thats the price of the a4 - fm2's :)

a4-4000 £25. (am guessing the integrated graphics work...it's for a low res screen).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  8. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Sure does come with one. HD 8280! :D Not a bad chip, runs with shared ddr3 memory.

Works pretty well with 1080p content and steam streaming.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I built a htpc for a buddy of mine, running an embedded soldered AMD apu, here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXPH/

This runs as a htpc just fine, 4GB of RAM in there, more than fast enough for browsing / streaming, recording 2 programs and watching a third stream of 720p hdtv, blu ray playback etc. and rather cheap. A whole system can be build with just 100€.

If you want to just replace the dead CPU, you should be fine (the soldered CPU on that board above does have 4x1.5GHz)

10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Sounds good can u link the one you mean? I cant find that at least from OCUK anyways....unless am being stupid.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well using the onboard graphics so far so good and the new pc is working.

However mobo came with an odd metal appendage (asus) and couldnt fit the side panel thing..

And when I boot the asus s.m.a.r.t says hd is bad+replace. Erm so how have I installed an OS?

But am having probs getting it to bypass bios and boot into windows. Windows vista was incompatible so am using windows 8.1 atm.

Work in progress and parts were around £100 so not bad.

p.s oh and the monitor to the mobo connector seems a bit flimsy...i'd prefer to connect to a low profile gpu really. Might pick one up for a tenner..