Microsoft will not support older Windows versions on upcoming PC Hardware

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 18, 2016.

1. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Do you even know what an insult is? Proof to back up my claim? The amount of games for IOS, Android, and Linux combined far out weights every single PC game ever made in numbers.

If I have to explain to you why that is, you are beyond help. It's developer support and money. Period.

Linux is not a PITA for anything. I'm sorry... you're just a noob if it causes you so many issues. Simple as that. Deal with it. Witcher 3 on Linux SHOULD be nuff said.

I've NEVER had an issue with Linux that I couldn't solve. Almost always PEBKAC error. Probably the same errors you're experiencing.

You say really dumb things dude. "Linux PC's can never be real desktop PC's" or whatever crap you spouted..... just give it up. Just because you aren't intelligent enough to to understand Linux like some of us doesn't mean you should impose you're opinion on others. You should be at least intelligent enough to understand the POSSIBILITY that it's not Linux.... it's you.

Keep saying things. I'll correct you. Your knowledge has nothing on mine in every aspect. :)

2. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    ^^^

came down men it is nothing worse than for us to be argue over who is pressin are keys better than the other at the end of a day they are still keys an will be pressed wether we like it or not. it pains me t see other men fight over windows an linx but i think its better to be in windows otheerise u will got stuck ina dark ages (like 98) an it will be no good.

i tell u if u were in a shower withme an u to are argauin like this i wont let u use my soap u will be busy havin to clean uselfs rubbin agaisint the tiles while us men will have soap.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Cyberpaddy has spoken.

Amen.

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    nexxusting - I don't know why you constantly have this piss-poor attitude towards other members of these forums.

In future keep the condescending comments to yourself or gtfo.

And before you go down the road of '...but he started it', you bring it on yourself dude - one look at your previous posts proves that.

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Amen indeed! CyberPaddy nailed it for good, loled so hard on that bold txt above. Thanks CyberPaddy, you made my day :)

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Few businesses do, they already use multi OS licenses like SPLA, regardless of the pre-installed OS.
    So switching to a newer version isn't really a matter of cost but compatibility.

7. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Really? It's been 10 years...A GTX980 is 50x faster than 8800GTX...Welcome to the future!

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm assuming they are talking about DX12. Skylake on DX12 (Win 10) is 30x faster then Skylake on DX11 (Win 7) in some random metric. It's defintely marketing nonsense but DX12 should technically be faster and it is technically only available on Windows 10.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Splitting hairs but Win 7 was released July 2009. 8800GTX was released Nov 2006 (VISTA was released January 2007).

EDIT: Need to compare the 980 to the 200 series for a comparison with win 7.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  10. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    They not specify if that "30 times" was on iGpu or dedicated gpu (Gtx or Rx).
    So with a grain of salt that "30x" is a totally bullsh*,a PR statement to see how "beautiful & beast" is Win10.
    But is not,is still a Beta OS build 11102.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh Build 11102 is a beta.. But the main build of Windows 10 is perfectly fine. I run it on all my machines + all the machines at the company I work at. I've had zero issues with it aside from Nvidia's early drivers being bad.

12. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Jesus Christ, this thread is still going?

What is wrong with you people?

Are you outraged that Microsoft is doing this? Why? Will you move to Linux or OS X, both of which have already done this for years?

Windows 10 is not just another version of Windows, stop saying it is. It already powers Phones and Xbox. You get automatic and regular incremental build updates through Windows Update, something which was never done before.

I understand why some people like to be stuck in the past, even though I fully disagree with any argument (mostly because those arguments make no sense to me), but Windows 10 is the biggest change for Windows in years, and as a member of this forum, you will eventually move to Windows 10 sooner or later, because of DirectX 12. So, get it while it's free and stop complaining in this thread, or pay for it later and realize that you were being dumb. You will move to Windows 10, or else you will eventually stop playing modern games.

And this particular thread is just another anti-Microsoft bull****. You people should just move to a Linux distro, no one forces you to have Windows on your home PC. I'm all in against Microsoft when it is justified, but this particular topic is just pure unjustified hate.

And Hilbert... "Yes, you need to read that line twice, let me rewrite it". Seriously? You have the power to educate people, why would perpetuate their ignorance like that? That's just flame bait, shame on you.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Aaa the question is: Who buy Windows Phones?Maybe 1-1.5% of world total sales.Xbone,well couple of guys especially in US.

Is not about Linux or OSX here,is about the present&future of Windows & M$.Gaming is still better on Windows (8.1/7)...

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's annoying but I don't see how this is nefarious. Obviously Microsoft only wants to support one OS going forwards. It's not like they wont still patch the older OS's, but this and the constant nagging are just the tactics they decided to use to get everyone moving forwards. It's easier on their developers and more profitable for everyone to be on 10. That's it. So yes, it's annoying, especially if you want nothing to do with 10, but if you're already using it then this doesn't even matter.

15. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    A certain number of distributions (e.g. Debian and its derivatives, such as Ubuntu) support exactly that. You download a deb file that you can install by double clicking it, so that if a given app isn't available in the repositories, you can install it manually. But then... You lose the advantage of automatic updates. It's one of the few advantages that Linux has over Windows, so it sucks to lost it.

What need to be understood about proprietary drivers is that, at least for nvidia, their drivers are basically Windows drivers in a wrapper (I'm too lazy to look up whether it's the case or not for AMD). That's why proprietary drivers have been historically a pain to install. These days, they're easier to install, but anyhow... That'll soon be a problem of the past: free drivers have made a lot of progress over the past few years.

And who knows? Vulkan could turn things around as well.

Anyway... If you grab an old version of say, Debian (a lot of companies like to keep the same OS and app version for years, as we all know), you won't get support for new hardware. The only updates you'll receive are security and stability updates. I don't think a lot of old OSes are gonna add support for AVX8 or SSE15 (yeah, those don't exist yet, I know :p).

16. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    2016 the year of desktop linux eh? :rolleyes:

17. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Linux is ready for the desktop. I use it daily at work and it works very well (that's my own laptop though). While there still exist apps (y'know, those win 95-looking apps that never seem to get updated, even on an internal level), I'm convinced that using Linux wouldn't be that much of an issue. After all, all the higher ups at the schools I work at use Macs and resort to using Parallels for apps that aren't available for OSX.

At least, the regional council understand how useful Linux can be and uses it on its computers. At this point, it's a fear of change rather than anything else that prevents certain workplaces from doing the switch. Oh, and hiring IT workers who competent as well as up-to-date.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Exactly what I'll be doing thanks. An awful lot of companies are/will be doing the same thing.

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Yeah, good luck with that. :3eyes: Linux is no more difficult to learn from my point of view than Windows or OSX. They essentially do all the same thing but just in slightly different ways. However, I am an IT professional and I know what works well in a professional environment and what does not. Linux Desktop does not work well at all in a professional environment.

Fear has nothing to do with it unless you mean fear of a lose of revenue for the customer. :infinity: You need to be willing to think outside your own desires and consider the actual needs of the customer itself. The Linux Desktop, as nice as it is, is not a threat to the corporate desktop and in my opinion, never will be.

20. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Yes, there's fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of the unfamiliar. Or maybe the word 'fear' is too strong? Maybe I should've said 'strong dislike'? Anyway... Why do you think people still use Winrar? There are other apps, and good ones at that, that do the same. For free. No ads, no nagging, nothing of that sort. And it's not just Linux! I still see people at work buying discrete GPUs because they think integrated ones are not gonna cut it (while, at most, students will use Google Sketchup). I also see those people buying 500 GB hard disks, when all user sessions are stored on the school server (running... you guessed it: Linux) and no one ever uses more than what Windows needs. Instead, there could've been SSDs in said computers. That buys a lot of time, especially when a class only last a single hour.

Linux could very well be a threat. Look at Android and its marketshare, for instance. There needs to be a single, huge entity behind it, just like what Google did.

Also, this has nothing to do with my desires. I'm talking about alternatives given how displeased people are with Windows 10, that's all. I don't care what OS people use; if they're paying me to fix their computer, I'll fix it regardless of what OS they're running. And, come to think of it, it's actually a nice thing to see various OSes. I like learning new things. :)

But, please enlighten us. What works in a professional environment and what doesn't?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016