Microsoft will not support older Windows versions on upcoming PC Hardware

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 18, 2016.

1. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    My thoughts almost exactly.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Furthermore "Nope"? LOL, who do you think you are pal? Seriously. Have some respect.

Your comment is RIFE with ignorance. I'd quit while you aren't ahead.

As a fellow X99 user I can tell you right now you will notice absolutely no real world performance increase. You will notice a slight increase in certain synthetics..... However again, minimal.

Look to the future. Windows 10 plays games very well. I have not had even one issue. Not one. Keep in mind there are too many users today for all of us or even a quarter of us to give accurate information. Personally I've been doing this for 22 years... I feel my info is bang on. Always. Others feel theirs is as well.... even though they are (to the untrained eye) less informed.

My point is...... Everyone talks crap about Windows 10. I am telling you now, sans the Telemetry BS there is nothing wrong with Windows 10. At all. Anything else you hear is user error. Period.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol :)

Nope lol

Being butt hurt because you want something to happen, does not make it true, show some proof to back up your claim instead of resorting to insults like a child

People have been saying Linux will overtake Windows for decades, never happened and never will, saying that, is like saying WP will overtake Android and iOS, not gonna happen 'Pal'

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Support until 2020 should include all hardware.

There are a lot of reasons not to jump to W10 (For instance observed different AA flag and HBAO+ behavior.) and many to stay.

Plus OS's like W8.1 are not even that old.

I can understand hardware features that are impractical to implement like new Speed step features on Skylake processors or the support for Thunderbolt and USB-C. But I don't need any of that anyway.

I have yet to see proof of actual significant differences in performance. Gaming, CPU/GPU benchmark or otherwise.

DX12 will be moot in the water if more people take advantage of Vulkan and it's multiplatform abilities. So what then? You'll have MS$ DX12 exclusives?

I don't like being able to tailor Windows Update the way I want.
    Especially not being able to block certain updates without irritating as hell work arounds.

Another reason they are pushing it so hard on people is because of the data mining revenue. "Come on guys update to W10 so we can mine data from you and sell it for advertising straight to your desktop! It'll be stuff you want we promise!"

Just think of the money they make on that. I remember seeing how much they took in with all the ads that were plastered all over the Xbox 360 dashboard more and more with every Dashboard change they made.

And before you ask, no I don't use Chrome, I don't use Google(Duck Duck Go, !Bang searches are great) for searching except for images here and there. I don't even have a Smartphone of any variety.

It wouldn't all be so bad if they simply put the switches that truly turned some of that **** off and gave us the control we should have over our experience. Without having to jump through so many hoops.

THERE is also the part where my Mobo manufacturer has not made drivers for any of the hardware on this board for Windows 10.
    Full driver support from XP to 8.1 only. (https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/RAMPAGE_II_GENE/overview/)

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^I don't even think the data mining is the biggest issue, i think the fact that they come accross as so arrogant about it, here is what we will be doing with the next OS, deal with it ok, we gave you it for free, so we can do what we want, oh and we will of course make it as difficult as possible for you to stay clear of it totally.

Enjoy *******, love MS. lol

5. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    This is what comes first to mind, but then what they are going to use instead? Android? Haha. Linux? Well until every ERP, MES and so on business software runs on it, not gonna happen.

Windows 7 and 8.1 both received update which support new hardware in case you want to upgrade your hardware. Its called Windows 10 and its free.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Somebody doesn't get it... :eyes:

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, yea... kinda what the entire thread is about lol

8. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Looks like more and more IT companies are forced to do bad things over good citizens:

New York Bill Might Force Apple, BlackBerry, Others to Put Backdoors in Their Smartphones

The anti-terrorism fight: Yeah right!
    Encrypted devices support criminals:Really?

"Attorney General Loretta Lynch, who explained that terrorists and criminals turn to encrypted devices to communicate because nobody can access their logs."

Again "terrorism"..."cyber-criminals"..."phedophils"...are the cause when they push techie corp. to spy&stole our data.Again.

So here we go why M$$$ put telemetry on this OS,because you are a fighter for freedom and encrypt your damn files.Put right now your computer at our hands,for free.

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^All those court order and legistation are for nothing when all anybody needs to do is activate a password on the phones timeout lock screen. lol

10. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Someone mentioned strawman arguments here and well, this is about as strawman as it gets. Microsoft is not forcing anyone to Windows 10 nor are they "blocking" Windows 7 from being installed on newer hardware. However, if you want full chipset and processor support for the newest functions, then you will have to upgrade to the newest OS. That is the way it has always been and will always be.

Strange, how come no one here is b***hing about how they cannot run Ubuntu or Linux Mint old version with full support on the newest hardware? It is because it is Microsoft we are talking about and it has always been popular to bash on Microsoft, even in the pre Windows 95 days.
    No, Microsoft is not doing this but, sensationalist articles are doing this.

Your right, somebody doesn't get it. :rolleyes:

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's the thing though, 18 months is not an old OS (Win 8.1)

In fact it was the newest OS until 6 months ago

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I guess the Windows Lifecycle starts at when the OS launched, not the latest SP. That puts the 5 year maintenance to 2018, a year after they plan on supporting the hardware stuff (2017). So in the case of Windows 8, I do agree they should at least pledge support for Kabylake features and whatever AMD/Qualcomm have planned for 2018 release.

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Why am I not surprised, but then again I don't blame them; why support older software, when you might as well focus on one operating system.

14. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I don't see what's so strange about this. Microsoft has never supported new CPU instruction sets or new DX versions under old OSes.

Your example couldn't be worse.

You picked an application that doesn't even have a native installer (read: a DEB file for Debian and its derivatives, an RPM file for Redhat and its derivatives, etc). VMware doesn't even bother telling you how to launch the installer on their download page, and I think it's their job to tell you because they're the ones who choose not to make a native package available. And not just that, but it's also a pain in the ass to uninstall.

I've never, ever had issues installing or uninstalling other apps under Linux.

I wholeheartedly invite you to give a try to Virtualbox, which integrates heaps better, and for which installing add-ons (namely, the extension package and the Guest additions CD) is a breeze.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    True, if you count 8.1 as a SP for 8, which I suppose it is, but yea, with 2 years left of support before extended, they should honour it fully

Fair enough, I haven't installed Linux on anything other than VMWare for so long, it was just the first example I thought of

But I have had 'fun' in the past trying to install AMD/ATI drivers manually when they weren't available in the driver update panel, and that was a barrel of laughs, having to go to some text based screen, and end the UI session first (Was a long time ago), typing in a stupid number of commands just to install a driver, which iirc didn't work in the end anyway

If they would add support for double click installers like Windows, without it popping up saying "How would you like to open this file" and then scratching your head thinking.... ummm, with an installer of some sort?

Then having to extract said installer and finding a text file with some ./ install terminal command you have to navigate to that dir with terminal, then copy/paste the command into the terminal etc etc

I know there is an app store type thing you can install things easily from, but still, vs windows, it's not exactly plain sailing

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    8.1 is not a service pack for 8

8.1 is a new OS based on 8, there are too many changes between the two and the way it's distributed is not in the form of a service pack, it is an entire OS.

Sorry, it just kind of annoys me when people think it's a service pack.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Except it is considered a service pack in terms of lifecycle support, which is what we are talking about.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifecycle-windows81-faq

18. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Gamers will upgrade anyways for dx12, businesses if you upgrade to kabylake or zen and you want all of their features, upgrade. It's the price of doing business, as a business owner I can sit here and complain about taxes and costs all day, but I have three kids to put through college.

Took my dad a week off and on to make adjustments to our database for Windows 10....

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Windows 8.1 is an entirely new OS, it is what it is, if Microsoft want to refer to 8.1 as a service pack, then that is inaccurate of them to do so.

When you download Windows 8.1 via Windows Update you are downloading a full copy of Windows 8.1, it is not like with Windows 7 where you download a service pack file that updates the OS, it downloads an entirely new copy of Windows.

When you Update to Windows 10 from 8.1, it downloads an entire copy of Windows 10, does this mean Windows 10 is just a service pack for 8.1?

There are too many changes between 8 and 8.1, I still actually use Windows 8, updates are still released for it, it is still a supported OS.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Since when does a service pack have a specific means of deployment? A service pack can be whatever Microsoft wants it to be, from 2 updates, to a massive kernel upgrade. Regardless, the deployment method shifted with with Windows 8.1 because they started using system images (WIMBoot) not because there were too many changes. The images are easier to deploy, faster to deploy and use less space after deployment. It's also what allowed things like "Refresh PC" and "Windows to Go". All of Window's 10 deployments are the same way. And as far as you getting updates with 8, that's no different then any other version of Windows. 7, even without SP1, still gets updated. Vista/XP were the same way.