Microsoft will not support older Windows versions on upcoming PC Hardware

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yup, I think I would sooner go back to XP than Linux, maybe even Vista.... brrrr

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Not supporting new hardware on old OS versions and only supporting new hardware on next OS build is saying the exact same thing. If one wanted support for a motherboard with USB support, Apple forced users to upgrade to the new OS version. This is exactly what Microsoft is doing. It's straight out of the Apple Playbook.

This is a good thing. The next move will be dropping support for older/obsolete hardware sooner. They are taking a new approach to creating a revenue generating engine. Apple's model has worked because they have been consistent with their approach. Microsoft waffles too much.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If MS moves toward a more common hardware environment and common kernel that should make for a better, more stable experience. Whether or not teeming masses of they, 'like' the experience, is a matter of preference. You can never please everyone.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    would go back to 3.1 and earlier before i go to linux Hell I will even try that step child OS know as ME before i go to linux, like said MS know there is no alt seeing 99% PC run there OS.

People either deal with it or they dont, simple that, Dont get me wrong I dont like MS but MS can and will get away with which why they always doing the force it tactic. well it works on PC side of things, there force tactic failed on the console side.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's not what you said though, you said:

Quote:
    This is no different than Apple's OS. This is very old news to Apple owners. This is what they had to face when wanting to run the latest and greatest version. They had to upgrade their hardware because "old" hardware was not supported any longer

--
    Not supporting old hardware on a new OS, is the opposite to not adding support for new hardware to older OSs

If they don't want to add support for older hardware on Win 10, fair enough

If they purposely don't add support for new hardware on 8.1, not fair enough, it still has two years of full support

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder if this will result in hacked versions of 7 or 8 that can function on new hardware.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    were there is will there is way..

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's what I was thinking too, the CPU check for 8.x was eventually bypassed, allowing the install to continue on unsupported chips, so I would imagine so / hope

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    My thoughts exactly...

Always xD

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    It makes total sense to me. The people most likely to buy the new processors as upgrades to existing hardware would be gamers and those interested in things like the Holo lens and 3D printing. The vast majority of those people will already be running Windows 10. Added to that is the fact that the great majority of the new silicon will come in new computers which again will be running Win 10 pre installed and it really makes sense. Anyone building their own gaming system with the new CPU would be foolish not to install 10 as well.

Windows 10 is the future. There's no holding on or going back unless you have a system you are not interested in upgrading like me and my Win 7 laptop with a Llano APU. What that machine gets used the most for nowadays is burning Lightscribe labels on my created DVD's.

11. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    it most certainly is motivated as a contributing factor by money...thats certainly not all of it however. also youre using a hyperbolic example in an attempt to discredit a less extreme comparison, thats also a strawman fallacy :infinity:

also nah i dont have a smartphone cos all i do is text. MS admitting in w10 EULA that they can read all your emails doesnt mean you can pat them on the back for being honest. they embedded a keylogger. into. the. OS. the fact that it can be disabled easily isnt the issue

again im gonna take issue with your comparison since they are going above & beyond any previously established precedent of bad business into a brave new world (yes im referencing huxley) of retardation

no ill will behind any of this mate i just dont believe your point that "its been bad before, so a bit worse isnt that intolerable, is it?" holds up

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Was anyone really expecting anything different? I'm surprised it took them this long to make that announcement.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You guys realize that they aren't preventing Windows from being installed on newer hardware right? They simply aren't supporting new features? I don't get why this is so controversial. It's honestly been this way since I can remember. It's not like Windows Vista got NVMe support or AVX. Or XP got native USB 3.0 support, or 3.1, or Thunderbolt or NVMe or AVX or anything. Why all of a sudden are people upset about this?

Your computer is still going to work. Windows 7 will run just fine on Skylake, Kaby, Cannon, etc -- all fine. You just won't get USB 4 or AVX3, or whatever new feature comes with those, unless intel specifically puts a driver for it. It's only Windows native that's being stopped passed 2017.

I don't see the issue other then Windows 8.1 maybe getting an additional year of support, to 2018, to meet it's 5 year lifecycle of mainstream support. Windows 7 will be 8 years old by the time this happens.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you texts are being monitorer too, put this way if you have cell phone or use ANY social website, or hell use internet your be monitor if you want to admit it not. goverments been doing it for years.

We all just like picking on MS cause well there MS, and MS has done some ****ty things

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    The only legit reason not to go Win 10 imo.

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It's not so much the lack of feature or loss of feature that people have issue with it's the b*llsh*t scare marketing technique that MS is using.

Any facts or figures on that pie in the sky number? x30 better graphics, in what way are they x30 better? It's clearly a scare tactic.

Someone else said it, they have failed to convince a lot of people to 'upgrade' to Spywin 10 by offering it for free so they are now resorting to scare tactics instead. As the closing date for the free upgrade gets closer it will get quite interesting to see what tactic MS use to convince the hold outs.

17. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    nope.

might tie into their misdirection of "silicon integration" & how it fits into their entire w10 narrative they are trying so desperately to shape. pretty sure everybody noticed the winupdate security patches til 2020 (or whenever) thing, man

thats true, in the capacity that the carrier archives them for awhile & would let the alphabet agencies take a peek whenever...& its just as bad. that doesnt somehow make MS basically trying to misdirect ignorant users into thinking new hardware wont even work on earlier versions of windows...just to be able to puff out their chests & point to their user statistics, or give info to the govt, or watever...acceptable at all

k im done ranting now

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  18. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    What about this news from Paris airport,they will upgrade for M$$$ Windows 10??? :D

A 23-year-old Windows 3.1 system failure crashed Paris airport
    November 16, 2015

A Paris airport was forced to shut down earlier this month after a computer running Windows 3.1, a prehistoric operating system from 23 years ago, crashed in bad weather.

Planes were grounded on November 7 for several hours at Paris' Orly airport, one of the busiest in the region, after un ancien ordinateur known as DECOR, which links air traffic control systems with France's main weather bureau, stopped working.

According to an article in Le Canard Enchaîné, the French transport minister promised that the airport's equipment "will be upgraded by 2017." Fiacre disagrees, saying it could take two to four years after that "at the earliest."

The bigger problem may not be the old software, but exactly who will keep the system ticking until the software is finally deprecated. One of the system's key maintenance workers is set to retire next year, said Fiacre.

"A few years ago we did a complete analysis of our entire network. Cyber engineers found out that the system is extremely safe and extremely secure on the way it's developed," Maj. General Jack Weinstein told CBS News, adding that the system will as a result stay the way it is for the foreseeable future.

"Those older systems provide us some, I will say, huge safety, when it comes to some cyber issues that we currently have in the world," he added. (LOL?)

They dont give a damn about this Win10 or even 8.1 or XP.
    Because Windows 3.1 is untouchable from malware,scripts or others cyber threads.We talk about here for a workstation not an server.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Staying focused, on my part, would help. The gist of the second post should replace the "old" hardware sentence. Does not help to just proof read for spelling errors. Just shoot me and put me out of your misery.

20. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Someone has a good plan to destroy Microsoft, well atleast to shrink it's business with simple consumers to the max. Linux is pita to me, but i already started to learn everything i'm able to swallow about Linux and Major Distros. It'll take a long time to learn as much as i know about Windows system. But i don't see any other option. Microsoft just Destroys everything it touches.