Is there anything that could be done about my GPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by PrMinisterGR, Jan 14, 2016.

1. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Hahahaha I love this guy "Baked Sapphire 7970".

Listen bro. I will do everything within my power to help you make it through 2016 with that card. Promise.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The problem is the delay at the customs check and the post office, which is going to charge an arbitrary amount after they scan it and they see it contains electronics. Sometimes that amount can be the 1/5 of the price of a new card. Thanks for the offer though. :)

I'm surely misinformed, and I do have humidity here, although it's usually in the 20-50% mark. The card is being kept cool using two Coolermaster 120mm fans right next to it. I have never seen the core nor the VRM reach more than 70C. Sustained is close to 67-68C after 45m of Heaven. I just cross my fingers now hoping it was just a tiny bit of heat that was enough to put everything back in place.

3. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    You got no friends in the states that you trust and can ship you the card? You might even find someone on this very forum that might be willing to help you, you have been here for awhile, you got to know someone by now.

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The problem is that the package will be stopped and arbitrarily taxed. Thanks for the offers though, everybody has been really nice and helpful :)

5. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Is that not based on the value of the card? Or are you not embellishing when you say it will arbitrarily taxed.? Lol.

Because that is ridiculous. Import taxes are based on item cost, no so in Brazil?

Either way if the card does die again it shouldn't cost more than $50 to send it here and back and I'll fix it for free. Let me know if this happens.

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    My brother sent me a gift here, and it was taxed $200. It was a card, but it was declared as a gift. And the delays are stupid.

7. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Ayy such a weird coincidence, back in 2013 when i first got my hands on a r9 280x
    It was the cheapest one i could get, Sapphire's dual-x, really crappy. But the thing is
    1 month in and i got those same lines. In the bios.. booting.. you name it. But i couldn't
    do anything to the card since it was brand new and i didn't want to screw around with it so
    i used my warranty. 29 days passed and on the 30th day i got a call that my card was
    replaced with a Sapphire Tri-X.. which was 100$ more than the dual-x.. I asked what was
    wrong with my old card and they said they got faulty products and that a lot of customers
    were complaining about the same issue, but the authorized service was not able to fix
    any of them because they couldn't find out what was actually causing it.

8. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    i hope you find a solution
    or go for r9 290 if it is a nice deal if not go gtx 970 with no brain at same price
    and whey r9 290 cause is about 100$ cheaper with almost same fps - 1 fps or 9/10 same
    r9 290 at 1000 mhz are same r9 290x at 99.99%
    and reference r9 290 947 mhz vs r9 290x 1000 mhz -2 3 fps difference
    but for r9 290 not a lot of choice that are good go for trix or pc+ cool and quit n1 is trix if not go gtx 970

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  9. rickyboy

rickyboy Guest

GPU:
    ventus 3090
  10. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Congrats on the successful ghetto-reflow (oven bake), PrMinisterGR! At least, if I interpreted that right reading your listed hardware.

It's awesome how hardware that appears completely over the brink and gone can be resurrected if you don't give up on it. This is definitely an epic-win far as do it yourself hardware revival.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We'll see when he reports back what happened. Let's hope he gets to keep that 7970 becouse upgrading from that card choices are not that good unless you have 350-450$ to spend.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Might not be a coincidence. My card is one of those blue PCB Dual-X ones. :/

Funny thing is that I thought it was my CPU hanging the system during the last month where I had some instability. It was definitely the GPU in the end.

Day two, still seems ok. We'll see.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats a good news man. Looks like you resurrected your card. It only need to last you until AMD give us Polaris then upgrade is in order. Im gonna do the same thing hopefuly.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    and how do they assess that its worth being taxed 200?

also, can't you have it down as returning your own property? shouldn't be able to tax you on that

15. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    People seem to be missing this bit of info. Maybe bold letters and a larger font.

Anyhow, glad it's working now.

16. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6800 XT
    Baking the card may work because most solder melts around 200 °C.

The problem is that the solder might fracture due to expansion/contraction as the card heats/cools down. You did not have a way to flux the card in order to increase mechanical strength of the soldered parts.

You either permanently/luckily fixed your card, or you have a time-bomb at hand.

I remember my old HD4870 PCS+. I was playing Dead Rising 2, then a BSOD took place. Rebooted and artifacts were all over the place. Yes the zombies from that game literally killed my card lol. Too bad the GDDR5 chips did not have any heatsink on it. Not to mention it was a terrible overclocker. I will try to bake my old HD4870 and see what happens...

EDIT: Reading more, nexxusting gave a fair warning. Baking the card can potentially damage caps, etc if exposed to a temperature above its specifications (most caps are rated to 105 °C) for an extended period.

Still my HD4870's been dead for four years so I wouldn't mind baking it =P

17. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    @AHPD: If it's out of warranty and sitting there on a shelf or in a cabinet, absolutely nothing to lose honestly.

I've tried baking cards myself and NOT gotten lucky, but I know friends that've successfully put their Geforce 580's in the oven to bring them back to life (and they STILL WORK today). Luck of the draw kindof thing, may not be smart ... but it's certainly better than for-sure having an expensive paperweight.

18. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6800 XT
    @A2Razor Yeah you're right. I hear about baking cards since 8800GTS times... At least I hope his card get through this year until he can afford a new one.

19. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Almost always, that kind of visual error is attributed to the VRAM becoming faulty rather than a GPU solder pin fracture. And in my experience of the error with almost identical symptoms according to the pic, I couldn't fix the same kind of error even with a heat gun despite multiple attempts.

As for the heat gun, you need the lowest setting (around 330c) as the higher setting around 550 will blow the chips clean off the board in no time at all.

You can use a test fragment of solder on top of the chip to aid when it's time to remove the gun at the moment things start to melt.

You wave the gun in circular motions a few cm around/above the suspect chips for no more than a few of minutes at a time steadily building the temperature to avoid themal stress, and allowing it to cool naturally while not touching the card in any way and keeping it flat at all times.

Hopefully if this is a solder fracture fault underneath one of the chips then the issue will be fixed this way if you are lucky. If not, then no amount of blasting the chips with 330c or 550c will work.

The joys of post 2006 lead less solder, and the throwaway society.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you don't have a heatgun, or not planning to get one, you have nothing to lose. What I did was preheating the oven @200c for 10 minutes, lower the temperature to 180C and bake for 8 minutes. That was in a gas oven, an electric one might behave differently with heat retention during preheating.

Well, it could be VRAM, or some of the GPU pins going to the VRAM. It's still working (surprisingly). We'll see. Funny thing is that I've never ever have had this happening, and 15+ GPUs have passed from my hands. Believe it or not, I used to equate Sapphire with good build quality (hence my motherboard). Now this might be an outlier, but it was really unexpected :/