AMD Launches Opteron A1100 Series 64-bit ARM Processors for servers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    These the new architecture I'm guessing that was developed in parallel with Zen...?

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yes it was Developed with Help of Jim Keller, like the Zen.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes its called ARM :D
    What happened to ambidextrous x86/ARM?
    Postponed?

Anyway sounds refreshing, but 32W and no benchmarks.
    Are they even competitive with Intel's offering in the only metric that they might compete perf/W?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem seems to be...
    Either sell this as a bare hardware for next to no profit, or invest in software and interconnect to make it a truly desirable platform.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I'll correct you here a bit. Only important thing for data centers is perf/W. Because You want to stack as many CPUs (cores) in as small space as possible and one of more expensive thing in data center is cooling.

That is why I think our G3D new partner has really cool place for servers.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    New G3D partner?

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I'm guessing it doesn't matter if its not even remotely close in perf to a x86 cpu as long as it draws 1miliwatt less power for the same perf they will just stack up enough of them to do what they need and call it a day, quite a different world for servers

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    For anyone who wants to know, this IS competitive against Intel's Xeon-D offerings. This isn't meant to be used as a PC or an at-home Windows server. This is an 8 core where I think (I could be wrong) the entire board consumes 32W. Intel has an 8 core where the CPU alone consumes 45W (not sure if they have HT though). This is considerably cheaper than Xeon-D boards, and physically slimmer. This is meant to tap into the ARM server market, which seems to be doing pretty well.

More importantly, this is likely the most powerful ARM platform on the market. Multiple SATA ports, a PCIe 8x slot, several USB ports, and modular RAM are big wins for anyone who likes ARM.

All that being said, though I personally have an interest in news like this and have no complaints about the reporting, I'm not sure articles like this really belong at Guru3D. A lot of people here don't seem to know much about anything enterprise or industrial level (not saying that's a bad thing).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  9. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
  10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    since there is already ARM native OS and hardware on shop and that they have been very proven in real life (lot of server are now in ARM) i guess it is irrelevant now...
    (*edit* btw there is already lib and sdk to use x86 on ARM)

the evolution curve of ARM is way more up than any other X86 or x64, and they are more economic and green at each step.

Also ARM is much more versatile than X86 X64 wich are based on a 1978 technology...

And never compare ARM vs X86 it's like compare a motorbike vs a car, both use the road, but each of them represent a different way to be on it.

11. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Keep it up, AMD! Looks like a sweet SoC indeed. :D

I don't see anything wrong with posting news about a CPU on a tech website. Whether or not said CPU is found in consumer products is irrelevant. If some readers don't care about anything besides the latest i7 or Radeon, fine — they can keep scrolling.

I'm sure a lof of readers besides you and I like to follow industrial hardware news or, even better, to learn that there is a whole world beyond consumer hardware. :)

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i don't agree, lot of us have started to look at guru3d when computer was a passion and now earn money with it (and i am not the only one).

anything about opteron, xeon, quadro, or firepro can fit in (just some taste as it would need a whole new website to have all the news lol).