Android "Remix OS" for PC

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jan 10, 2016.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    damn right, love ling root custom zips roms, L tweaks, init d. and all the other stuff.

I got Note 5 and i think it's the best phone ever made, it does have it's drawback(non sd card is the biggest), Sammy also improved their TW a LOT. there is no need for CM anymore, it will destroy the camera quality, and since it's super awesome, that is unacceptable.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Heard about that, rumours that it was still in beta/pre release though

I watched a video of it, it looked more or less identical to 5.0 other than a few icons

Not really a fan of TW, but I use Nova Launcher so it's not too bad

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    S6 got 6.0.1 beta too, i wait with my Note 5 in the dark for the update. probably after Galaxy s7 will be revealed next month.

I use TSF launcher atm, nice 3D with smoother animation, Nova got boring.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    FFOS is dying.....or is already dead. Either way, Mozilla is planning to drop it. It's only been offered on entry-level phones anyway.

There are 3 phones sporting Ubuntu Touch. 2 from BQ and 1 from Meizu. There are also images released regularly for the Nexus 4 and some other phones. Supposedly there will be an Ubuntu phone launched in the US sometime this year.

In the US, entry-level and budget Android phones are not really any different from "feature" phones. There's so much carrier bloat that very few, if any, apps can actually be installed. The first Android phone I purchased for my (soon to be ex) wife only had 8GB storage, with 7.4GB being filled with Android and carrier bloat. That's not an issue with iOS or WP. With WP, all carrier apps can be uninstalled without having to worry about voiding the warranty on the phone.

Personally, I look forward to Ubuntu Touch launching in the US. I tried to flash my N4 earlier but ended up with a bricked phone. Not really a big deal since I don't actually use the N4 anymore, but I refused to reinstall Ubuntu just to flash a phone. Everything I have here is running Windows due to issues with Ubuntu 15.10.

For this Remix OS, the best option would probably be just to spend the small amount of money and buy a Remix Mini....

5. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Remix is pretty much useless right now. I can boot it from USB on my desktop but very slowly. Then I can not figure out how to change the screen resolution. I did mange to get Google Play installed and I can download and install apps from the Google Store. On my laptop, it will not boot at all and that's where I wanted to try it. It says it's an Alpha release and it certainly shows.

I got it installed in a dual boot on the laptop with Grub but it still wouldn't work. I deleted the Remix partition and recovered the Windows bootloader but I'm still trying to get the laptop back to running as good as it did before Remix. It's pretty much been a disaster on the laptop. The laptop even has USB 3.0 where the desktop does not.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Remix is an alpha release, according to the official website...

7. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Soon as you guys write a super easy to do dual boot method and get it working with steam ill give it a try lol....i do have a fairly dated laptop but win 10 seems to work pretty good on it.....what would be my motive for using this os? most would be better of with linux anyway right?

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    New update
    Version: 2016011402

Release date: January 14th 2016

http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc#downloadNow

EDIT - Holy smokes, this one boots without any flags (Well, tries to, flash drive is not 10 MB/s and is struggling, but it's not hanging this time)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  9. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    hallo it is work on usb 2.0 is not need format partition right

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is just another alternative OS....

Ummm...Android is based on Linux. So is ChromeOS. The only reason Android and ChromeOS don't run native Linux software is because Google doesn't want them to.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well, after talking about it, I decided to try it for real, bought an iPad Mini 2 today.... what a PoS

What's the deal with iOS? Apps don't give their resources back to the OS when in the background like Droid? Leave a few open and the whole tablet starts struggling

No back button... well I knew that already, but I expected there to be an onscreen method of going back to the previous screen, some apps have a button to go back, but a lot don't, and I can't see any way to do it other than close the app and re-open it

App store opens a white screen instead of the store 3/5 times and needs bottom buttons pressing to get it to refresh

Apps don't want to install 3/5 times, I get the "Get" option, I press it, I get the "Install" option (Why two?) then it spins a circle for an age and goes back to "Get"

I tell it to stop asking for my password for 15 mins, and 1 min later it's asking for my password again....

Only had it a few hours and sick to death of it already

Fully updated iOS 9.2

Plenty of other things that make this "It just works" "The OS for non-techy people" the most irritating and unnecessarily complicated OS I've ever had the misfortune to use

EDIT - Oh yea, and apps that are free on Droid, like ES File Explorer... £3.99 ? Seriously?

Can't even access my network shares, free file explorers can see them, but try to play anything and it's "Upgrade now for £xx.xx"

EDIT - OK, so leaving loads of apps open in the background doesn't seem to affect performance as such, it just makes the homescreen a bit laggy, which is more acceptable I suppose

Might just need some time to get used to iOS... but first impressions are not what I expected at all

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Well if u were virgin, once you saw and experienced IOS u lost your virginity and innocence :0

On serious note, my girlfriend received iphone 4 for free from work long time ago, she wanted to install a calculator, it took a fking hour to do so, let alone change to a random ringtone she wanted...

I then broke her iphone and forced here to go green, she never ever thought about being isheep again!

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I'm slowly getting used to it, but it's definitely 100% NOT "It just works"

No idea where that catchphrase came from lol, it doesn't just work at all, it 'only just' works, and even then it works way less than droid

Still can't find a file explorer that will let me access and watch files on my NAS without having to pay for it, file explorers usually come with a device as standard

Not to worry, I guess we have to try these things for ourselves to realise why we never bought Apple before, plus it's a gadget and I like gadgets, so i`ll just make lemonade from this lemon :D

14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    You give ur name a run for it's money, but pls now that u uncovered the ****s of the devil, return that "gadget" u bought and buy something useful.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, meh, I've got it now, it hasn't converted me into an iSheep, if anything it's done the opposite, and I still have my S5, and a droid and windows tab, so i`ll just add it to the collection

Something to play with when I'm bored

Plus I sometimes get people asking me to help them with their iPads/Phones and I couldn't really help because I had no experience with iOS, so this will help for that at least

16. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Love ya dude. You da man.

I hope you smashed that POS good.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    ye as a Sys admin my job is also to set the iphone to synchronize with MDM client, airwatch touchdown on android, i never touched iphone more than couple of seconds so it was awkward as first.

Still when i see people that think iphone is the BEST, you know they are isheeps and can't be saved, not even by Jesus.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    oh ye, it broke quite easily then i decided to burn it, it shall not survive.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    lol You just expect too much from it. Once you accept the Apple way, you'll see how great iOS is. iOS isn't for those that like to "tinker" or do multiple things at a time. It's designed for the technologically inept that won't bother with changing settings. The "it just works" idea is dependent on what you expect out of it.

I wanted an iPhone until I got the (soon to be ex) wife an iPhone4 and saw what it was really like. For as great as Apple makes it sound when they launch new models, it really lacks a lot. It runs a "smartphone" OS that looks and feels like a "feature phone" OS....at least to me anyway. Every OS has it's market though....whether we can understand it or not.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, I think I was expecting it to be something 5 year olds could use OOTB, I wasn't expecting it to be like Droid, but I was expecting it to be simple and easy and a no brainer OS that needed next to nothing done to get it working, but instead it turned out to be a mixture of 'You kinda do need to know a thing or two' and non of the part where everything is already set up and ready to go

Threw me a bit at first, but yea like you say, once you accept the Apple way, which is what I've done now, I'm starting to get used to how to use iOS now

Everything I've heard about iOS made it sound like people with absolutely no tech know-how could buy an iPhone/iPad, turn it on and be up and running instantly, and that was why non tech-savvy people bought Apple instead of Droid, but that wasn't the case lol

Still, it's fun learning something new after all these years, makes a nice change from droid and windows for a while