MSI Afterburner installation

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by BroDragon, Jan 12, 2016.

1. BroDragon

BroDragon Guest

GPU:
    gtx970sli
    I'm trying to update my MSI Afterburner to version 4.2 and the installation is aborting due to MSI Afterburner currently running. I haven't been able to figure out how to shut down MSI Afterburner and in particular RivaTuner seems to spontaneously restart every time I think I've turned it off. Can someone please tell me what to do? I'm running Windows 10.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Right click it on the taskbar and say close. If that doesn't work, just uninstall it from the control panel and reinstall the new version.

3. BroDragon

BroDragon Guest

GPU:
    gtx970sli
    Tried both, taskbar just spontaneously restarts and uninstall blocked because program is running.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    CTRL+ALT+DLT then go to the startup tab in the task manager and disable it from starting with windows. Reboot, and try to uninstall again

5. BroDragon

BroDragon Guest

GPU:
    gtx970sli
    Interestingly the program is not in the startup tab. There are two programs listed in the Processes menu. The first is RTSS which is listed as RTSSHooksLocater64 in the properties page. When I right click and End Task it disappears for about a second and then reappears. The second is RTSS(32 bit) and it is not affected by the End Task command. I'm still stuck.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Scan for malware.

7. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Uninstall the old AB version and the old RTSS version. Reboot. Install the new AB version with or without RTSS

8. BroDragon

BroDragon Guest

GPU:
    gtx970sli
    Hootman you beauty that worked! Thank you, thank you, thank you...

9. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Glad to hear it.