Android "Remix OS" for PC

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I gave up on this one, see what tomorrow brings, maybe there will be a new build with more fixes

2. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    I'm sad to read such ignorance coming from a fellow Canadian.....

Android is undoubtedly the king of phone OS's. Period. Not debatable. If for some reason one would debate that?

You are either uninformed, incapable if being informed, or a combination of both.

Furthermore, every "problem" I've ever seen with Android that people have I do not experience (sans a hardware failing/flaw). User error is almost always the issue. Considering I do not have issues others have or think they have (this would be because I KNOW what I am doing, there is no "I think I know" about it") I would once again site user error as almost ALL issues with Android.

What problems do you have with it? I honestly would like to know. Don't take offense to my post as it is not aimed exactly at you... It's more aimed at certain stigmas against Android.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    First off, smooth move. You just insulted a mod/member.

Second, I have had iPhone's for awhile now. I used to have Android devices before that. While it was fun rooting and tweaking them, for basic fixes that the manufacturer should have implemented was usually only obtained by rooting my device. I should not have to gain root access and risk losing my warranty to change from LTE to HSPA+ for example.

Android support is awful from manufacturers and carriers. Samsung releases so many Android devices, but how many do they keep maintained well? How many times have all of the major Android manufacturers say the next release of Android is coming to their devices, but they do not deliver on their promises?

I am not saying there are not any good Android devices, Motorola has stepped up recently and Blackberry nailed it with the Priv. What I am saying, there is far too many to keep a formal support. Manufacturers are quick to drop a device, carriers are even quicker.

The 4s was released in 2011 and is still supported to this day. The Galaxy S II was also released in 2011, and has had support dropped awhile ago.

My point is, I like my Apple devices because I am guaranteed support and functionality.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Android is the least secure mobile OS currently available while BBOS10 is the most secure.

Android is the least stable mobile OS currently available while iOS is typically the most the stable.

Android is the worst supported mobile OS currently available while iOS is the best supported.

W10M and Ubuntu Touch both support the ability to be connected to a display, keyboard and mouse for "desktop" style functionality. Android, does not....but I expect to see that coming since Google is starting to develop a fork of Android for PC's....

The only thing Android actual excels at....is tracking users. It fails at productivity.

Android only took off because the market was flooded by Android based devices at nearly every conceivable price point. Carrier employees getting bonuses for selling Android based devices didn't hurt either....

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Please tell me you are not being serious? Android is open source. It isn't restricted to just one closed off company with generic phones that all look the same. My Nexus 5 runs great, always has done since 5.1, once the file fragmentation was fixed, or at least almost fixed.

Google phones are available to everyone, not just a select few who can afford them. ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows phones are available to everyone as well.

Ubuntu Touch is open source. It also supports a wide range of productivity apps and a feature very much like Microsoft's Continuum.

Samsung and LG both have flooded the market with phones in every price range. They both have piss-poor support for the majority of the phones they release.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Ubuntu and Firefox phones both offer good alternatives. I haven't heard any news since they were aonounced a while back though. Never really been a fan of Windows phones, but great for businesses I guess.

The aftermarket support for Android is getting better, but the main comcern is that phone manufacturers like to add their own bloatware to phones. Samsung is the worse for it. Updates suffer because of it. I prefer the pure Android UI. Ever since the Nexus One, I'll never buy anything else.

8. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Looked on website today still no download links?

9. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    finally got it to boot with acpi=off vga=317, thats not using vmware either.

Its seems it only likes 1024x768 resolutions, if your try higher or lower it powers your monitor off or gives you a black screen and opengl renderer still says null so no games can be played.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

11. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Keep trying, maybe its diffrent depending on your hardware.

I even managed to get resident mode working now with the same commands.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried a load of different ones just now, same hang as yesterday

Guess it just doesn't like my laptop

13. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Oh you not tried on your desktop pc?

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nah sod that lol

Buggy PoS is going nowhere near my desktop :D

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

16. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    "rflair" is a mod? I actually did not notice... I was only poking fun at him as a fellow Canadian. The Internet kinda allows words to be taken more seriously than they are so that would be MY bad. Apologies if I offended you Mr Flair.

In terms of support and functionality any Nexus device beats any IPhone hands down. You cannot even sideload apps dude.... You can't honestly be truly down with IOS ITSELF over Android. Do you honestly enjoy an OS that is lacking in features? Furthermore evey good feature currently in IOS was either stolen from Android or slightly modified/renamed. I don't understand man, I really don't.

You can't just use Samsung as the poster child for Android because its absolutely NOT. You think you're the only one who hates Samsung for not updating enough? I cannot stand it. I have a Note 5 and love the phone itself but its absolutely not a great Android phone because of the lack of updates. Without a doubt my last Samsung Phone. Nexus 5x, 6p and the Huawei Mate 8 are THE BEST phones. Know why? Stock Android. Always gets updates. And more frequently than IOS devices to boot.

5 year support? I don't have any phone for more than a year so that wouldn't apply to me. Using Samsung is a bad example. You're essentially saying you dislike Android because of Samsung. I understand there is massive fragmentation within the Android ecosystem. Anyone who knows Android as well as I do understands it well. Trust me.

However at least you HAVE choices with Android. You do not with IOS. Period. You are spoonfed choices and are not allowed to customize anything unless it's built into the release.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Anyone with "Don" under their name is staff

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Android is far far far better than iOS.

The way I see it is iOS is for idiots who don't know what they are doing and Android is for the advanced user and tweaker.

It is 100% recommended to root your phone with a custom boot rom and then get something like CyanogenMod.

I did this on my S5 and I will NEVER go back to the original OS. CyanogenMod offers me waaaay better battery life easily increased it to around 8 days now (I have 7800mah battery) compared to just 4 days on the original OS and this is with some pretty heavy usage too.

Not only that the performance of the phone has sky rocketed, apps load in milliseconds, the keyboard never misses an input, and I get near my full 200Mb download speed via 5GHz wifi as opposed to around 80Mb/s on the original OS and on the same connection.

Oh and the RAM usage is more than halved now, it used to fill up my entire 2GB RAM to around 1.8GB now it barely uses more than 150MB when I first turn on the phone from cold boot.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was running CM13 for a while on my S5, loved it, amazing ROM, exactly as you describe, except one thing, I use my phones camera a lot, and the quality of the photos on any ROM other than stock is worse, and you can't use the samsung camera app unless you're running a TW ROM

Unfortunately that was the deal breaker for me - I've still got it saved on the MicroSD as a Nandroid, but I need my camera to take the same quality photos as stock, sucks

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Some S5 users got Android 6.0.1 by mistake, but it seems Sammy won't give u the new touchwiz, shame if it is. since G3 has been updated with the G4 UX.