No more cracked games in two years ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    This news doesn't concern me to be honest . But it will concern them that pirate their games thats for sure . :) :) :) time you pirates coughed up your cash and pay for your games like the rest of us .. :)

How many gamers in the world do u think have a pirated copy of the witcher 3 on the Pc .

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I personally know 2 people that pirate literally everything despite both of them making 75k+ a year. The price argument will definitely effect a lot of people -- but piracy will always be an issue. And if Denuvo can stop people from pirating with no effect on PC performance -- I don't see the issue.

3. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    They do. That's the only reason I almost never pirate any more. Cheap russian keys.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Sounds like a challenge...

5. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    When I read thing's like this I imagine a hacker thinking.... Oh yeah bring it

6. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Sorry, misread the title!

Thought it said "No more CRAP games in two years ?" Got all excited then the bubble burst when I read it again, seems they're putting the majority of effort into DRM than DEV!!

7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Keep the white knight piracy talk to zero, hate to delete posts but excuses are of little value.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Theme song for this thread.....

9. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    Guys, come on! We are not talking about painkillers or a blood transfusion you need to save your life here.......we are talking about a game, a hobby.......if you can afford it, that´s too bad, but you dont need a game to survive. Let´s be real about it. Dont make excuses. Go and find another hobby (a cheaper one) or get a better job.

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Guys publicly discussing and even worse openly admitting piracy(especially from old members) only hurts Guru3D and not the developers/companies. :thumbdown

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That seems like a natural thing to do nowadays. First take premium out of people who must have the game right away and will pay anything for it. Then, after a while, hit the much larger market by dropping the price to a reasonable level. Unlike in the 80's and 90's, we have now the ever present Internet's social media, which makes a month old game already old. Not to mention if it's an MP game, it sucks if your buddies are already playing it and you aren't. Selling DLCs also helps to compensate for dropping the price of the main product for a while.

Although most game developers possess passion and pride for their job (I imagine), game publishers don't. They only want to maximise the profits like any business. So, it's good business to skim off. Compared to the 80's and 90's, the publisher and developer need to get a lot of money back. Big game titles can cost as much as movies to make and market.

12. Jakiro

Jakiro Guest

GPU:
    GTX580 4GB
    I could never agree more!

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I personally don't pirate games, and don't buy too many during the year. Ruins the market too (in publisher's eyes) if people don't buy their ****ty games.

14. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I have my doubts it would be good if piracy really stopped. Greedy publishers will have $$$ signs in their eyes and will push even more half finished beta versions onto the market, knowing that ppl are out of alternatives.

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

PC doesn't get many large AAA exclusives mostly because the platform doesn't have a governing body who negotiates licensing agreements, oversees product quality, and throws around a lot of money in order to get all of this done. It's also why it's the indie developers platform of choice because it's much easier to get a foot in the door in terms of startup capital and allows for much more creative freedom. PC gaming has been the global market leader in revenue for past three years and has beaten Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo COMBINED which is why you're seeing so many traditionally console focused developers releasing their games on PC in recent years.

The issue of piracy has become for many developers the go-to expedient BS excuse they love to use whenever there is public outcry over them releasing a half-a$$ed, unoptimized, and bug-ridden port to the PC platform when in fact it was they who neglected to put even a fraction of quality control into the release because it wasn't required by legally binding contract as is the case with console games.

Its been proven many times over through various studies that if some unbreakable DRM was invented and software piracy was completely eradicated, these people are not going to then suddenly start legally purchasing all the software they once downloaded for free. Companies like Adobe have even transitioned away from high cost software sales to a much easier to afford subscription based way of software distribution and even then they've seen little, if any reduction in piracy. I understand not wanting to pony up $500+ for Photoshop in the past. That's a HUGE sum of money... but if you're not gonna pay $10/mo for the subscription service where you always get the latest version... you're simply not going to ever purchase their product regardless of future DRM.

i'm not sure how much sense that all made, *yawn*. I'm half asleep, time to go to bed.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah it did ;) Pretty much my opinion on it regarding piracy and sales.

17. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB G
    What old days man? When you could copy a game cd in your home with ease like you burn an audio cd? :S Or when everyone was copying games from diskettes? Do you think piracy is the problem honestly? Was piracy the problem for Playstation 1? I had my original games and every other game it was coming out pirated. That was me and every friend I knew! Piracy with PS1 was the beginning...!

The problem at the moment is mostly GREEDY publishers/devs with all their micro-transactions, dlcs, broken games and goes on. Times changed somehow and 90% of the devs/pubs want to make as much money as they can the faster without hassle. That is what I clearly see as a gamer since 1989 and as a consumer in general.

18. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB G
    At last someone that sees the real obstacle... :infinity:

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Piracy has been around since I can remember on the Atari/Amiga with floppy disks 25~ odd years ago, I have my doubts it will stop in 2 years, or that all companies will adopt Denuvo, or that Denuvo won't just get massively targeted if that is that only protection

Wasn't it SKiDROW still back then with the Atari? Can only vaguely remember

20. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    DRM so far was kept in check by piracy imo. The industry knows that when they pissed off too many costumers with unbearable DRM more and more gamers would turn to piracy and get the 'better' versions for free.

If piracy disappears there's nothing keeping DRM in check anymore. I mean, the trend is already going there with online 'features' even in single player games. How many games from the last 5 years dont work anymore because the servers got shut down?
    That's just another form of DRM.