No more cracked games in two years ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not care about this, I did not have need for cracked software for very long time as I evade bad games. I no longer pre-order games. And therefore I am not paying premium those companies could have if they were able to release good product at day one.

I buy multiplayer/mmos at day 1 if price is right, game is interesting and it is confirmed by players that it works. (I can't care less about gaming sites who mostly write/say what developer wants them to.)

2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    if it is like these anti-piracy why not... it is not a pain in the ass for the user who have bough the game (wich is exeptional step ahead btw).

but don't forget: the bone is hard but the dog have a lot of time.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Bollocks,

They dont put effort into the pc version because theres more money to be made on consoles.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    most people who pirate game cannot affort game anyway, most game are too expensive i think and star war battle front with season pass at 119 Euro... a bit too much don't you think??? in a few it will cost more than equipement lol...
    And so the money in the studio's wallet wouldn't be too different with or without piracy.

independent studio have understand that, and most have no anti-piracy system and have correct money incoming (some even more than big studio)...

in the future company will have to work on this.

5. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    With pirates or not the games are not so good like in old good days!!!

Not so many buy Just Cause 3: 405.000 vs Fallout 4 2.805.000 copies.

Without piracy the devs&publishers will make same bunch of bad games(EA,Ubisoft and so on).With piracy the devs&publishers will always says the pirates destroys the market but its not true.

Some people pirate the games because of money or because of non-existance of demo versions.

From GTA IV:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  6. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    I too believe that chances for this to be good or bad for all gamers is 50-50.

Demos can't be released anymore due to the size of games' assets..
    (the only similar to demo is "early access" nowday..)

I only hope -if this will really happen- that Steam will not change the terms of refunds...

People don't create,we make stuff using already known assets with different methods, we modify stuff, we develop stuff and we define undefined ones
    but I agree with the word "destroy"..

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I never encountered that issue, so I'll just take your word for it and admit it could be valid. However, it's not exactly what the original article was talking about. Old games in your archive don't get new copy protection methods nor do they matter to the publisher since you already bought them 10 years ago.

Seems to me your are an exceptionally unlucky person if more games get broken for you due to patches than fixed. I can't seem to remember any new game from the past years that wouldn't have benefitted from patches, some were actually finally made playable by them, others more enjoyable. True, patches sometimes break things as well (like Arma3 patches that time after time made user creater missions unplayable totally unnecessarily), but most of time those patches still fixed other things that did need fixing.

There might be individual exceptions, but that's what they are: exceptions. The times when games were released in a perfect working condition are long gone and aren't coming back any time soon, I'd say. Who knows, that might be even partly intentional to bother pirates.

8. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I will test the game first! Not going to waste my hard earned money on rubbish games like I have done in the past, if the game is worthy I will buy it sorry but I just don't like to gamble with little money I earn.

9. BSim500

BSim500 Guest

GPU:
    GTX970
    I think most smart people have figured out DRM is (and always has been) more about stamping out the legal 2nd hand EBay disc sales market to inflate total sales figures plus regional pricing enforcement than any anti-piracy "success". Piracy of Steam games is just as high as GOG. Amazon Kindle Books have been ripped in the thousands. Nor has encryption + region coding stopped DVD or Blu-Ray piracy either vs unencrypted CD's. There's far more to DRM than piracy (ie, preventing resales, enforcing regional pricing, monetization of metadata (spying on your game habits then selling the aggregated data on, etc).

^ This. And sheer laziness. How long does it take to test the game for 10mins to get a grasp of what decent default keyboard bindings & mouse sensitivity should be like? Or re-use code from previous games allowing full keyboard rebinding? One man, one afternoon? Even simple stuff like that is seemingly beyond some modern devs. Piracy is neither the solution to nor the cause of lazy, sh*tty ports, but is often a 100% scapegoat for everything wrong with games development especially not wanting to admit to the "boot it out buggy, broken & consolized, then half patch out the mess a few weeks later, but only until interest in the game dies down at which point it'll be left to modders to finish off" philosophy.

As for the death of playable demo's, it isn't due to game size but rather they realized they hurt badly ported games more than they promoted good ones. Same reason why they pump pre-orders with little "toy rewards" and are increasingly aggressive on review embargoes that censor negative pre-release feedback whilst still demanding "hype train" positive coverage over the same time period - it's all about getting PC gamers into the habit of making uninformed purchase decisions (pre-orders) in exchange for gimmicks vs informed purchase decisions (post launch buys).

10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    They never cracked it, they worked around it, its one of the reasons the scene doesn't recognize their Denuvo 'cracks'.

11. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Well, they shouldn't need to put a protection on games if they priced the game in each country according to their income.

12. fisher6

fisher6 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GTX 4GB
    meh, only a matter of time before Denuvo is destroyed. It's not the first time we hear news like this. Happened with previous supposedly "uncrackable" protections.

13. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Matters little to me.

Ever since I've began to earn money I've started paying for all my stuff. May it be games or *gasp* music.

That said, the following guidelines keep me a happy consumer:

- Don't ever be a day one adopter
    - Don't support Origin/UPlay in any shape or form
    - Don't consume yearly iteration of long running series (AC, Fifa, COD, etc.)
    - Only play the games you actually want to play (I for one don't play Shooters or games such as GTA / Just Cause / Infamous etc. and no offline MMOs such as DA 3)
    - Only buy titles for what you deem them worth (I won't pick up FO4 before it drops beneath 30€ minimum)
    - Don't buy half-assed console ports

Realistically however, everything is likely to be cracked eventually. Question remaining is whether or not it'll be worth the effort on the cracker's side. If not, well, better adopt some guidelines of your own ;)

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Didn't they say that about Securerom? :D

15. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Exactly, give it time it will be cracked. Not that I care as I buy all my games via Steam's huge Sales :)

16. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    For very popular single player games they will always find a way. Plus we have services like GoG that only sell DRM free games, which means those games will always be available.

17. cps1974

cps1974 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    take this with a pinch of salt - reverse engineers will get there eventually, just a matter of time

18. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Never mind then, I guess talking about cracks in a thread about it is out the window :nerd:.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I remember reading similar statements for securom 7, staforce, and the server ubi had for ac2. Don't care.

I don't appreciate it when studios add another layer of drm on top of steam's ceg and don't disclose it either. I would never have bothered with arkham knight if I had known it will have denuvo. I never bought securom protected titles and I will never buy denuvo protected titles.

Denuvo's grand daddy is blocked in windows 10, one day this crap will likely cause trouble and there is no guarantee the developer will come back to fix it.

They rarely release demos these days, I've downloaded so many games and bought it after playing for an hour or so and then continuing it on steam after buying. Just recently I played helldivers with bigtime after downloading a pirated copy. I would never have bothered otherwise.

20. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    "I can only wish this to actually be true, but i doubt it, people will always find a way"

My games have been legit after I grew up and got a job. But this is bad for kids and teens(especially from poorer families) who just cant buy the games anyway and might never grow into gaming as they cannot start young.

The other issue is of course for legit gamers. These kind of DRMs make performance of games noticeably worse than in games without DRM. Even after removing weaker DRMs games have seen big performance boosts. You also pay more for games because of DRM, because DRM technologies aren't free. The few (or in this case only) working solutions comes with a serious price tag for the legit players.

This too. But lucky for us MS is plain hostile against DRM which alter OS functionality in any way or have potential security issues.