$599/£529/CAD~$900/EUR700 for Oculus Rift.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by harkinsteven, Jan 6, 2016.

1. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Would you think paying $599 for a really good monitor is crazy? When you consider what the rift is (a monitor that straps to your head that has flawless 3D and tracks the entire gaming experience) then I think you can start to understand that $600 isn't crazy or only for "idiots". It also comes with a bunch of accessories that enable the complete tracking and interaction in VR (camera, controller and pointer thingy). I think people are going off half cocked here... It is a great price when you consider that VR that couldn't even compare to this cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars not that long ago. This is new tech, remember LCD and Plasmas were like $30000 when they first came out. This is NOTHING compared to that. I understand it. I'm VERY surprised guys coming to a Tech website don't.....

2. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Are you serious with that? Wow... The IQ around here is FAR FAR less then I thought.... I have to stay away from these forums... It's getting me frazzled.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The difference is that Valve can afford to sell the Vive at a loss. Their device is just going to cause the consumers to come back to Valve and buy games from Steam which make them even more money.

You all can say that Facebook could afford to sell them at a loss too, but then what is their motivation for buying the company at all?

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    It's not a monitor, it's not "must have" and it's not mandatory, therefore making it an accessory which you buy if u want or not.

600USD for that is a lot, it's the very first fruit of VR, almost no games, not much support atm, and it's a gamble.

That not how people want to adopt it, plus it requires minimum 970 or 290x which is ok, but most of people don't have any of those either.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

so you think that low volume, breaking new tech is supposed to be cheaper than eons old mass produced goods like monitors, wow...

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    You don't actually believe this do you?

The Rift is selling out today.. clearly price is not an issue for a large portion of people.

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I think people here and elsewhere on the web who are acting salty about this do understand the point you're making.. the salt is more coming from the fact that people generally want things for nothing.. in this case, especially, the price is much higher than was initially expected by the gaming community, and so naturally you will have people freaking out, in some cases because they can no longer afford it or justify buying it for themselves.

Largely though I agree with you.. its new tech, there are no other headsets available yet, so Oculus can easily get away with charging more.. don't see what the problem is here.. just wait for price to drop and quite whining, or get a better job. Simple.

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    This new tech is "new" and not proven, it's not a mandatory thing that you must buy... you also need a powerful system for that, and there is no competition, it's the only of it's kind atm, so it's hard to say if it's good or not, the price can be whatever they like it too.

I see the point you making, it's new shiny and meant for specific people, but i still find it overpriced... i hope HTC Vive will have better pricing.

9. Pixelize

Pixelize Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X
    And from when 600$ are equal to 700EUR.
    600$ are 559EUR today, thats 140EUR more to 700
    Usually they are doing 600$ - 600EUR but now, they are fu**ing us even more here in Europe if this is true.
    WTF???

10. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    They aren't doing us, we won't simply buy, i doubt about US too...

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'm with you and KingK. I think all the whining about the price is laughable

12. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Hey Mark, how faces**t going? :D

/topic Yesterday before the price announcement I was like this:

[​IMG]

Today after I saw the price?

[​IMG]

Imo a $500-550/450-500euro including the controllers would be a lot more sensible.

And we accuse NVidia of milking. These guys want the whole dairy farm! :bang:

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Agree completely, I was shocked at the price initially buy for the admittedly low number of initial gamed its a monitor replacement and my ultrawide cost 1200euro delivered. Its also quite advanced having 2 oled displays etc.
    Price will also reflect what professionals are willing to pay e.g. trainee doctors practicing surgery or architects being able to walk around their designs.

They're better off having a high price for a headset that is great for vr rather then a cheapo bad experience headset. Its also better in terms of not releasing an updated one for 2 years and letting the price drop for the masses.

And im sure some of those complaining will have no issue buying the latest iPhone every year.

Mines free, I'm good

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay so this is not a hate thread and definitely not a hate forum. I deleted all posts retaining to that, let's keep it clean and civil people.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Far too steep for my wallet, i will wait and pick one up second hand for £20 next year.:p

16. nexus_711

nexus_711 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080 Twin X2
    I'm not seeing a reason buying it till Pascal sits in my machine later this year or next.

17. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I was dreaming of oculus rift that will drift..
    This reminds me of Virtual Boy =D

[​IMG]

Here is some power glove for FB

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Everyone is complaining about the price but for me that´s not the (biggest) problem, the problem is that Oculus Rift is useless right now and it´s gonna stay that way for a while. Thre´s no point in buying this thing, even for 100€, if there isn´t any software that uses it! Right now Oculus is just an useless gimmick!

And until that changes, there´s no point in having one, even for free...

Not to mention that Oculus only makes sense for games that use first person view, for all other games, there´s no point in using it...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  19. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I wouldn't go as far and call it useless, yet. I had tons of fun with the DK2 tbh. I only imagine that the final product would be a lot more fun.

Actually there are some 3rd person games/demos and irc one or two had bird-eye and it was quite interesting turn around in the middle of the action and stuff.

20. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I rather not spend +750€ on something that will most likely be forgotten in five years.