PS4 got Hacked - Linux Distribution is on the web

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A group called Fail0verflow has demonstrated what appears to be the world's first deep low-level hack of the PlayStation 4. They are bypassing the console's security system, Fail0verflow managed to ...

PS4 got Hacked - Linux Distribution is on the web

2. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Impressive stuff, will be interesting to see if it get's fully unlocked and coded for, and whether Sony locks it off like they did PS3 'Other OS'.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Now that console might get interesting for some people again.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Security of the ps4 was probably made by the same Sony team that manages the PSN servers.

5. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    1 small step by man, 1 huge step for mankind and his upcoming emulator

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    They breach the FreeBSD security in which PS4 Orbis OS is based.

They get access in consoles who use a very old firmware, a lot of things have changed but the knowledge they have now can allow them to find new exploits.

FreeBSD was also used as base for PS3 OS, maybe its hacking was not bad after all for global sales and Sony want to repeat the scheme.

:D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    It's a good day to be alive!

8. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    So many people happy with this

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Badumchee!!!!!!

I do believe this is on an older PS4 release version though...

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    we all know what will happen if they sue.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    wont be long then untill multiplayer gets ruined again by the cheaters :(

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    This was done with a old firmware, which has been patched by Sony a few times since then. Next to no one has access to that firmware now, or even knew the hack existed. NSA back door?

13. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    Which of the 35 million people are you talking about? The pirates or the hackers?

14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    but someone do have that old firmware
    well the hacker does at least

even if sony patched the firmware and current ps4 carry new firmware,
    if someone can bypass firmware version check system and reinstall older firmware (which i believe its quite possible)
    it will open the PS4

if this can be an issue or not depends on sony
    one thing though, PSN should not affected
    say even if hacker can trick PSN to make PSN see the hacked-PS4 use latest official firmware ...it wont let them do anything outside they allowed to ...
    the only things that may impact is people do hack-cheat on online multiplayer

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You should see the video about how the security of the PS3 was cracked. Essentially the whole machine is one big fat piece of DRM. Unfortunately for Sony it had some seriously retarded flaws, such as instead of using a randomly generated key as one of its billion security measures, it just used a pre-set key... IIRC it was the same for all PS3s. As in that specific part of the code that was supposed to point to a key generator just pointed to plain text instead. :wanker: That was just one of the many hilarious things about it.
    It won't last long. Sony just perma ban anyone with modified firmware as soon as they connect online. They've been doing so since the PS3 days. I used custom firmware to rip my discs to my console so I could get 5 second loading times instead of 30+, and never I never played any game online with that firmware. Despite that, just because it had an internet connection it sent my system data to Big Brother Sony, who that one and only time, gave everyone a lawyer-talk warning and made it clear through online publications that everything after that would have no warning. Since then it's been no warning perma bans, doesn't matter if anyone connects online in a game or not.

I understand Sony need to protect their cash machines, but the fact that they hand out perma bans to those who don't even play games online with it is BS. I had a ton of other problems with them too, such as removing association of content I owned from a specific PS3. As in content purchased at the time was DRM locked to a specific PS3 and in my situation (I forget the details) my console was dying and I was told directly by Sony if it dies they will not reset my licenses for that stuff on it (games, DLC). **** Sony, **** Microsoft.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Maybe this can lead to the PS4 turning into a media/emulator box and being able to install games to the HDD without needing the disc just like the original xbox. Yeah I know that I am asking too much here but I can hope though.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If this were a VM then yeah, maybe you'd be onto something, but as far as I'm aware that's not how this works.

This idea is really only good for using the PS4 as a PC, and honestly it is a half-decent one. 8GB of RAM is plenty for the average linux desktop user, the open source GPU drivers should be able to be fully functional eventually, and it is an 8-core. Linux does a better job at taking advantage of Bulldozer cores than Windows, because you have the option to compile almost all of your applications for that CPU. Linux is already compatible with the DualShock 4, where you can use that touch-pad to control the mouse, and you can always connect a bluetooth keyboard.

Once they figure out the shared memory issue, I'm sure this will eventually become a very functional system that can also play games on Steam.