Alien isolation is a blast of game do you agree?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Yes, great game!
    They did it so well and it's a looker too.
    Weapons look great!
    Hope to see another one.

2. TrustNoOne

TrustNoOne Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X IceQ X²
    I've spent almost 25 hours in this game and it's truly great, especially the atmosphere.
    Give us Alien Isolation 2 :realmad:

3. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Hard as hell game on hard setting.
    Alien is a prick!
    Don't know if he's coming in front or behind me..It's so dark! Need batteries...
    Need more flame fuel...
    The hack tools and weapons are so well done.
    I have shadow of mordor and alien isolation and this is better, IMO. They both got GOTY 2014.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Haha, so played a bit of AI again... turns out shining your flashlight to ceiling vents is a bad idea.

Go figure :bonk:

5. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    the tl;dr "hack" for the Alien, even on hard, is to simply hide until you hear it go back up into the vents and stay there for a few minutes - not just run up into the vents and then jump back down on the other side of the level.

Once that happens, proceed and don't make much noise to attract it.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    In my experience that's not fool-proof on Hard. I know what you mean though, had the same observation myself.

The Alien makes a lot of "fake" exits by going into a vent, disappearing for a few seconds and then rushing back to a different vent.
    Wait long enough (in hiding) and it leaves the area for good, or so it seems.

I've tried this numerous times and moved only by sneaking, but sooner than later that wascally walien is right back and surprisingly close to where I am...

So switched to Medium skill level, it's a lot more playable, meaning the game actually becomes scarier.
    As you actually make progress, so have something to lose, and are not constantly frustrated by dying dozens of times on the same spot.
    You die dozens of times on slightly different spots instead ;)

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Your best bet is the watch the numbers on the motion tracker.
    Once the number on the tracker reads .90 and higher (.98 being as high as it'll go), you are safe to explore and move about freely.
    The alien (or synthetic) is not in the area.

But, the lower that number goes the higher the threat. It's suggested that once the number gets under about .50 it's more then a good idea to hide.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ yea that's a good way to tell how (remotely) safe you are. I suppose it's the distance to the tracked target.

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    only thing stopping me playing this game again is that i dont wanna be ****ting in my pants with the amount of atmosphere set in this game.

10. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    For me, this is easily a Top 3 single-player experience. The atmosphere is this game's strongest point. CA did an outstanding job regarding that, especially the sound design.

Took me 30+ hours to complete on hard. The game is nowhere near as difficult as people make it out to be. I did not use the motion sensor at all. If you use headphones or a surround system, you can hear where the alien is. Sound, staying crouched the whole time and noisemakers are what got me through no problem. The only difficult part was physically preparing my body and mind to sit down and actually play this game because of how scary it is. The funhouse under the reactor for example was a mind****. Some days, I just couldn't.

A bit sad I had to uninstall this because of SSD space but I may revisit Nightmare difficulty at a later time. A big maybe though.

11. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Yeah, definitely not fool-proof, but it definitely works a lot, although it can literally take minutes for the Alien to just stay up in the vents.

The other thing too is that I'm sure there are some key-points were the Alien is scripted to come down - beyond just before a cut scene.

I've only played it on Hard. My first attempt, I gave up in the Med Lab since the game got a little to much for me at the time.

Then a few months later, I wanted to try it again, and was really impressed by it. Hard is hard, no doubt, but a lot of that "hardness" is trying to figure out how the Alien behaves.

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You summed it up. The Alien is very random and after many hours of playing, it was still impossible to figure out the behaviour of the Alien.

Things got much easier when you get the Flame Thrower. You need not worry too much about the alien since you burn it when it gets in the way and it runs off. You just have to worry about your gas being depleted...

I died so many times when saving in the checkpoint machines. The Alien would randomly come from behind and rape me seconds before saving. :(

Things got more fun later on in the game where there are several stages where the Alien isn't around and you do not need to worry.

It was fun shooting the androids in the head. Only thing it alerts the Alien due to the noise and you've got micro seconds to get your ass and hide in the lockers...

13. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Still haven't played trough this game, can only stand playing 5-15 minutes at the time before fearing a hart attack :p Might need to pick it up again soon and just power through it.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm quite sure I don't play on Hard :) I rarely do in any game since I prefer experiencing the whole game instead of getting stuck every 5 minutes and progressing in slower pace than a snail.

I have to check if it's Medium or Easy.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Lol, just play it during the day if it's that scary. :)

For me the only scary part was trying to find the save station & save before that bastard Alien kills me before I do so!

He still comes from behind and impales me stopping me from saving. :(

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I switched to Medium during the part where you have to find Morley's keycard (and where there is the scripted part of the Alien coming down from the vent).

You had to spend a long time hiding for the Alien to leave and it seemed no matter how quiet I am it pops right back. Plus the risk of it finding you from your hiding is pretty large.

After dozens of tries of getting through that area, switched to Medium and got through with the second or third attempt.

Lols, yeah, this game is best served in small portions.

Same thing for me, the game became just frustrating for me on Hard.
    The game isn't scary anymore when the Alien kills you a hundred times on the same spot...

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Too bad some games dont have difficulty settings, like DarkSouls. I understand they're supposed to be hardcore and that's why the sell well but personally I'll never be able to play them because of the difficulty setting.

18. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Good to see all the great reviews. I just picked up a Steam key for $9.50 but haven't installed it yet. Looking forward to playing.

Alien is probably my favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time. To me, it shows the most realistic depiction of what space travel will be if we ever get to that point. Going into stasis for months, or even years, between destinations. None of this fanciful stuff like wormholes, star gates, folded space, or warp drives. Just plain sub-light travel which is probably all that will be possible. Of course that's not the only reason I love the movie and it's first sequel, The action and suspense are also first rate.

19. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    They talk about FTL or "Faster Than Light" travel in the game. So apparently it does exist in their universe.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  20. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    If fanciful stuff isn't possible, and sub light speed is our only option, we will never leave our backyard.

As for the game, never tried it, despite only hearing good things about it.
    I guess the stealth part, i´m not not a fan of the gender,due to my lack of skills, i find it frustrating, drives my way from it.
    However the horror and claustrophobic side of the games a tracks me a lot.

Decision must be made!