PC Version Killer Instict will be Windows 10 Only

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2016.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    It could also be that microsoft wants to push windows 10 which is more important then this small game.

2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This will make a lot of people move to Windows 10...

or will it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    To me it's just Win 7 with DX12. :)

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    They better make it DX12 game then.

7. Krzychu23

Krzychu23 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 TF II/OC
    agreed 100%

8. LOVEandROCKETS

LOVEandROCKETS Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti OC
    The bits and bytes of Windows ME, Windows Vista and Windows 10 - aka - the largest, most complex and sophisticated malware in IT History – never got into my machines.

Despite all the negative info gathered and with the benefit of the doubt in my mind, I recently made an exception and with that – not so smart move :bang: - I’ve WASTED 6 days with W10!

It was way too much time spent with such a mutant piece of software! :puke:

DirectX 12? By the end of 2009 an unofficial DirectX 10 Patch for Windows XP SP3 was released.
    It even worked with some well-known games such as Half-Life 2 + Ep.1/2, Portal, STALKER + Clear Sky, CoD 4, Crysis, CS + CS: Source, etc.
    If there is the need and the will, maybe something like that can be done - in timely fashion - with DirectX 12 and W7, W8/8.1.

I’m pretty sure everyone here is qualified to make their own mind up about Windows 10 – BUT there is no such thing as a free lunch - IMO.

Back to my good old trusty “double O” 7 spyware! :007: :D :D

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It'll be a pretty direct port from the Xbone since that's basically a super crappy x86 system with a defective piece of what appears to be a DX11 GPU. It'll use DX11.

I've heard that MS allow developers to use up to 7 cores of the puny thing inside the xbone, but only after a later update and that uses the thread that was reserved for the spy camera. So I guess what I'm saying is I hope these ports will at least be optimized to run on 6 threads. It won't particularly matter for KI as fighting games have very little to process, but it'll matter for other games.

Don't expect any console ports to use anything but DX9 or 11.

And as far as I know the game isn't actually free, you have to pay for each season/set of characters. I'm fine with that sort of payment arrangement. How it's typically done for fighting games is that only a tiny amount of balance patches, if any, will be free, and the game is released as a "new" game with the balance changes and new characters for $40+ USD a year. Most fighting game companies do this, and some outright abuse it since there's next to zero balance changes or new content on top of nickle and diming for pallet swaps or other such BS. I'd prefer Microsoft's less BS method assuming the cost is reasonable.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It makes perfect sense being Windows 10 only, and I would go as far as to say it would be idiotic of them to support Windows 7 and 8.1 etc as well. The consoles have a great advantage over PC's in that there is really only one configuration you need to get the game working on. That is, if it works on Johnnie's Xbox One in Ontario it will work with Francois's Xbox One in France. At least by limiting it to Windows 10 you at least reduce the support considerations.

If Windows 10 wasn't free the very same people whinging that they have to upgrade would be whinging they have to pay for it. They expect to get all the latest software and still have it supported on a deprecated OS. Remember after initial purchase Microsoft makes ZERO money on continued support for the OS, so people have been pretty lucky Windows 7 and even 8.1 has been supported as long as they have. No other company would support software for as long as Microsoft has. Their move to the Windows 10 style continuous upgrade is probably way overdue.

I find it funny that people want to run the 'latest' stuff without having the supporting software for it. Even on the Xbox One and PS4, if you run the RTM software you probably wouldn't be able to run half the new games out there. I also suspect that most of these whingers probably don't hesitate to update their phone if new software is available, or complain that they can't get Marshmallow on their new Android etc.

What it comes down to is people can be stubborn idiots, and I think that most of the complaints in regards to that comment are from the stubborn idiots themselves :).

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I guess nothing to do with dx12 or anything, its just that they want to sell it through the store, make it "universal" same as I read earlier about tomb raider being on the windows store, that would be cool, steam will have some competition if they succeed, and if you own an xbox or multiple pcs it is a buy-once thing, clearly a win

12. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    killer instinct is amazing, but id literally rather write a dx12 wrapper for win7 than "upgrade" to w10

[​IMG]

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I still haven't read or heard a single well placed point for getting win10 now. I don't see it offering anything to a gamer yet (until dx12 games are out). Not even a game like this.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Windows 10 is a significant leap from 7, you forget how old 7 is. I stuck with 7 on my desktop, using 8/8.1 only on my laptop and detested it to the day the upgrade for Win 10 was available.

As far as appearance and practical functionality go there's no reason to avoid upgrading anymore. Windows 8 was a cluster**** and an assault on the senses, it was extremely annoying to use and counterproductive at best. I have no complaints about Win 10 aside from having to put in some effort to disable all the spying, that means disabling Cortana as well. Though I'm considering enabling that since all the data collection on that is extremely needed in order to make it... well... not crap.

You can also get an Enterprise key if you want a bit more control over the data collection, assuming some programs can't block those bits as well. But keep in mind Enterprise versions of Windows won't update to newer builds automatically, you'll have to manually get the new builds and install them.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    its common to remain biased after such a bad experiences, lucky me I jumped right to 8.1 so I never hated it, but what I can tell is w10 sometimes feels like a damn malware itself, like there's always something running behind you, creepy & annoying as hell, but man this thing is like a dream with every device synching effortlessly

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You know how to get enterprise keys? Last time I checked they didn't list prices on the m$ website, as if they'd need you to contact them to debate about how many computers you would run in your 'enterprise' maybe. I have got no impression what a single computer's enterprise license would cost.

Also, am I imagining it to easy, or wouldn't that (a new build) be a windows update that's offered to you just like other updates?

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry.

18. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    nope i got a student key as soon as it came out for $30 so i remember :) ages ago hehe

theres not a single feature or any functionality implemented that i would benefit from aside from dx12 to be perfectly frank. not meaning to be rude to you by putting it that way, of course! but between absurdities like microsofts pr campaign to publicly slam win7/8, their aggressive windows update scheming of slipping "upgrade" applets in & adding tons of telemetry & a backdoor, right down to their win10 eula which states in no uncertain terms that they read the contents of your email & can share any & all info with anyone at their discretion...youd have to break both my legs to get me to sign on to that nonsense. its a shameful way to conduct business, & a new low for MS.

i realize you can get around the monitoring, but id rather not have to add ~70 domains to my firewalls IP filtering blacklist by hand just to run an OS that gives me no "edge" (pun intended) on win7

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I actually don't know how you're supposed to buy Enterprise keys, whenever I need a Windows key I can just get one free or cheap from friends. I do know they have two versions of keys, the volume licensing type, and whatever they call the other. :wanker:

And no, I can confirm that Enterprise versions of Win 10 can't be updated to newer builds through the standard Windows update. You have to download the newer build and install/update it manually. That is unless MS changed their minds.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you do end up getting Enterprise don't get the Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) version if you want all the standard gibberish that comes with Windows. The LTSB version is completely stripped down, purely meant for business use.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    W10 is good OS, it even uses memory compression on tablet which has "only" 4GB of RAM. It uses only 1.7GB with everything loaded and steam running.
    But I am not using One Drive there nor on desktop. In time I'll get rid of Bloatware from ASUS and clean utilization may go down to 1.5GB after start.

As for CPU utilization, at idle with steam running, 4 Atom cores sit round 500MHz and are utilized around 10~35%. OS is not doing anything strange what would kill battery life as usual power consumption of CPU in this state is 0.7W.
    Total idle battery life is 20~24hours. Lower run time is caused by usage of keyboard+touchpad+usb dock.

If OS can eat as little as this, then it is good OS. MS makes it lighter and less bloated. In comparison Android is getting bigger and full of things you do not need, do not want. And unless you root your device, you may not be able to remove them.