PC Version Killer Instict will be Windows 10 Only

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2016.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The main reason I upgraded was because its free. I don't expect any dx12 games to become mainstream for another year or so. The 2 concerns I have are at some point the 7 and 8 users are going to be forced to upgrade, which isn't fair and the privacy issues.

2. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Im not gonna upgrade to win10... spyware program. After 8.1 loss support, ill get linux.

3. Scoica

Scoica Active Member

GPU:
    rx 580 xxx
    gr8 b8 m8

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

5. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    Fallout 4 loaded and saved really slowly on my PC. I have the main game on an SSD but all the saves are in My Documents which is on a regular HDD.
    I moved the savegame folder to my SSD and created a junction point link and now loading or saving is just a few seconds.

Not sure if it was because I had a couple of hundred savegame going on but a friend also had the same problem and moving savegame folder massively helped there too.

Just mentioning this because maybe if OneDrive did grab your documents folder it moved it's location from an SSD to a HDD instead?!?

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well, I'm glad I have 10 then. :D

I would disagree.

When H2V launched, Live gold was required. At that point, you had to pay for Live Gold Services.

H2V had Live builtin, which sucks now considering the servers are finally down for H2V...=[

H2V was $50. Killer Instinct is free.

You had to pay to upgrade to Vista. 10 is free for a year.

I do believe that having to have Live Gold and Vista is what killed Halo 2 Vista...If those were not in place before, then Halo 2 Vista would have taken off pretty quickly. Hell, Bungie even released a patch for server listings for Halo PC and CE because of the demand of Halo PC. Halo 2 had a real editor even!

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Halo 2 Vista (and H1 for that matter) still works online and for free, fyi. Got it installed on 8.1 atm.

Then theres tungle as a backup.

The problem with these f2p play games is that once the servers go down, thats it. Unlike with mp games of old.

I wonder how many are still playing COD4?

8. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
  9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well, i stand corrected. Cheers.

Tungle it is.

Surely that has to be some sort of record from MS for support for a product that isnt an OS or work suite for so long.

Edit: Seems a user made server is being worked on going buy that forum you linked to.

And i wonder if this means the game can no longer be activated, thus installed at all.

****. Im really gutted by this news.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Couple things to point out:
    1. This likely isn't making the OS restriction for DX12 reasons, because that would screw over anybody with incompatible GPUs (which is easily the majority of gamers at the moment).

2. As a Linux user, it is my "civil duty" to dislike Microsoft. However, I really don't understand what people hate about Windows 10 so much. All of the "spy" and adware stuff can easily be turned off. Anything that can't be turned off isn't a concern. I couldn't care less if Microsoft knows what I do or search.
    My experience with W10 so far has been pretty smooth, and I would rather use it on a regular basis than W7 (but since I have a choice, I use neither). But... maybe I'd just prefer to use it because it added features Linux had 20 years ago...

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Live services activate the game just fine, you just can't play on any online games unless you use Tunngle or Hamachi.

12. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    You missed the point, forcing an OS upgrade just to play a stupid game!

13. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Growing up in the early 80s this was the game to own and get good at in the 90s ... i cant wait and hope im as good as i used to be

14. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Windows 8/8.1 have low level technical improvements over 7 plus more built-in functionality, but most people hate the forced touch focused GUI changes in 8. Windows 10 has those same improvements if not more refined, even more added functionality (but no media center), with an interface more familiar to a windows 7 desktop user. The privacy concerns can easily be nullified, but are further null by MS backporting those things to 7/8.1. Its also a pointless argument if you use any google product, outside of google maybe being potentially more benevolent or those things being in what will be a paid product for some.

15. trentbg

trentbg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    I am completely with you, Win 10 is the future, there is no coming back, eventually the support for 7 and 8/8.1 will stop and will be much faster than the one for 10. Not to mention being a free upgrade now, I really dont see a reason not to upgrade, I did for all of my over a dozen computers.

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    80's? Wut? KI 1 came out for the Snes in 1995 didn't it?

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    W10 bring more than DX12 that's maybe why it is W10 (will it be used at 100%... i doubd about it lol) :pc1:

you know you can disable it with the list of program you want or not at start?
    (but i agree most cloud thing s*ck exept if own made).

as all "we see you" stuff can be disable really easely :)
    yes i think W10 is a great OS (and is free for most user the legal way)...
    despite that you can go linux :) (linux user since years and will not come back to another main OS) and dual boot can make you stay with W10 for the prg that is not working yet (<= notice the yet) on linux.

18. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    My USB 3 PCI-e card does not have Window 10 support.
    before upgrading to windows 10, I was getting 100+MB/second using my UBS 3 flash drives on the USB 3 PCI-e card, after upgrading to windows 10, I get less than 20 MB/second.
    If you have PCI-e cards, check for window 10 driver support before upgrading.

19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    When DX12 titles fully hit, you would have to anyway.

Besides, don't look at it like you're being forced to upgrade to play a game. Look at it like an incentive if you upgrade. ;)

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Windows 10 is already the most popular OS for Steam gamers. It passed 7 and 8.1 a while ago.

I'm all for new games being W10 only but the only reason I can see for it is if the game is DX 12 only. A new game made like that would have a small potential market at this time.