LG to release 98in 8k-television in 2nd half this year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2016.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes and there is very few actual 4k content to begin with it dont mater how nice it looks if there is no content and there isnt.

2. Pineapple

Pineapple Guest

GPU:
    7950 boost
    I suspect that even up to 60in, a proper deep black OLED would destroy a 4k/8k screen, especially if we factor realism into the equation, ie, looking ultra sharp isn't realistic.

3. Pineapple

Pineapple Guest

GPU:
    7950 boost
    These backwards folk will stupidly consider the extra res a PQ advantage, even though they bypass bluray for DVD, lol.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    One of these days, movies will be fully locally rendered by computers. IQ will be based on GPU power. We will have VR to move around in movie.

Does anyone remember TrueAudio? That's perfect feature for such VR movie. Imagine Lord of the Rings where you see what Director intended. Or you can enable partial freedom of movement and angular freedom of view, so you can see what you are interested in, but you still not miss crucial moments in movie.
    Or you can have total freedom and follow what you want.

How many times could you watch same movie while following some interesting details in story?

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah maybe in 30 years right now a single gpu dont have any where near the horsepower to render "real life" in realtime

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    maybe this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXOaCkbt4lI could

its cool that they try reaching higher every year, they can drive costs down, but yea its kind of depressing how I see the world it doesn't move forward it just goes sideways, back when we had vga cameraphones we had to share pictures at full res, nowadays we have 20mp pocket cameras and social media reduces them to qcif

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    to many pixels not enough power/bandwidth to feed them hungry hungry pixels

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You only need to pay licence fee if you watch Tv as it's broadcast, if you use catch up services or just use your Tv for watching Blu-Ray or DVDs (or gaming), you don't need to pay a penny. I haven't paid for years, mind you I'd be careful about it. The people they send out to check up on you are prone to lying through their teeth. It's best to just have absolutely no contact with them. I get letters every other month threatening the "occupier" of my property with investigations. They're generic mass mails that increase in severity and then reset. As long as you ignore them you wont have a problem.

As for this 98" 8k screen, that's definitely impressive. I'd be leaning toward using a projector after a certain size, though.

9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    If the DVD player has a good upscaling feature it's really hard to tell the difference between a DVD and a BluRay of the same movie. My DVD's look excellent on my 40" 1080 Samsung when played on my LG BluRay player. They also look excellent on my 29" Vizio 720p set. The BluRay disks of the same movies don't look noticeably better. It all depends on the player and not so much on the TV.

Now, if you're using a standard DVD player that doesn't upscale, then yeah, the quality won't be as good. Unless the TV itself has a built in upscaling feature that actually works.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I can't even conceive of the need for such a huge screen.

11. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    This just isn't true, I'm afraid.

1080i for TV/film sources is essentially the same thing as 1080p. 1080i25 deinterlaced to 50hz, 1080i30 to 60hz. 1080p for those things would make precisely zero difference presuming everything is working as intended.

Most new broadcast shows and films, on HD channels, are absolutely in 1920x1080 HD. Even a bunch of older stuff (Friends, South Park, The Wire, X-Files yada yada) has been restored from source and presented as HD for syndication.

Bitrates are a different story, but certainly not as bad as most streaming services.

4k will actually help, here, as it will enforce the use of more efficient codecs that enable more in less.

So.... yeah, no. :nerd:

CDJay

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    1080i does look pretty decent on a 4K set as long as the scaler on the set is decent. You can still see a marked difference between 720p sources like ESPN and 1080i.
    http://hd-report.com/hd-channels/

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    1: you don't have to buy one.
    2: I don't think it is for you anyway.

14. Hapatingjaky

Hapatingjaky Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080Ti OC
    Most Cable/Satellite providers here in Canada, Telus, Rogers, Shaw/Bell broadcast only in 720p. The HDPVR/HD Boxtop then outputs at 1080 with some sort of degredation. That's why they don't broadcast out audio at PCM. At most you will get Dolby Digital 5.1. I used to work for Telus and Shaw some years ago.

Last year I had new cable lines run to the house, I wanted straight fibre run and called my buddy who still works for Shaw. He said its still the same, they don't yet run straight fibre to the house so that was a no go.

Shaw on Demand uses your DATA to broadcast movies, they broadcast out at 720p with Dolby Digital 5.1. Now Shaw brought out new HDPVR's here recently which I haven't tested yet. I have last years model and in the menu it clearly shows upscale mode to 1080i - 1080p - Auto.

So when Cable/Satellite providers can't even broadcast 1080p yet and are talking 4K content its probably BS. Now 8K content? Come on, unless Cable/Satellite and ISP providers plan to increase data caps by a factor of 10 I don't see 4K or 8K happening anytime soon.

Now Bluray is a different story. But no one is going to buy a 4K/8K TV just to watch Blurays....

Currently my Home Theatre consists of an EPSON 5030UB, Pioneer Elite SC91, and a Klipsch 7.2 setup. Watched Equalizer back when it was released as it has a track for 7.2 surround. Saw it first on Shaw On Demand, went and bought the Bluray since its a good movie. It was like I was watching an entirely different show, the picture was so much nicer and cleaner, audio was way more impressive. Then saw it on Movie Central HD and again it just looked muddy, you can tell it was upscaled as it seem stretched in certain areas.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  15. Moegames

Moegames Guest

I think some of you guys are not seeing the big picture here, no pun intended lol...those of us that already have 4k HDTV's in the living room with a home theater PC know the significance of such quality TV's. It's no different than PC gamers that only game on small displays that rave over the latest and greatest small display tech. I think some of you guys would truly be in awe with PC games running on a 60inch or larger high end HDTV with a high end surround sound system that has 12inch powered subs included...it's truly a remarkable experience for home computing, whether it may be PC gaming or using the PC for various media experiences. With HEVC/x265 and other next gen compression...things are going to swiftly change for us into home theater PC experience for both gaming and media center experience. Comparing a quality high end HDTV vs a average quality high end HDTV is night and day in itself.

I really cannot understand how some of you guys are still fine with gaming on such small displays although I am sure similar can be said about people like me as well for various reasons,etc but to say 8k HDTV's are a stupid idea..how is that different than upcoming PC monitors giving even better resolutions? I think the same thought kinda go hand in hand these days, Yes? I think so

Anyways...Cannot wait for OLED and some of these new generation HDTV's to come down to affordable prices. I sure don't mind spending some decent money on a quality high end HDTV...it does PC gaming wonders let alone watching movies or simply surfing the internet in a super high resolution on a big screen is pretty bad ass in itself. Just get a decent comfortable wireless keyboard and mouse and your golden. I been doing it since 2002 and would never go back. With the new compression formats..we'll be seeign more and more super ultra HD content more and more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No, they are not the same.

I assume by 1080i 25FPS being deinterlaced to 50Hz and 1080i 30FPS being deinterlaced to 60Hz, you mean the refresh rates those TVs are being run at. While that might be true, that is not necessarily the case for all TV sets. If you mean that the framerate changes, then no, it's the other way around: 1080i 50FPS content can be deinterlaced to 25FPS progressive, and 1080i 60FPS content can be deinterlaced to 30FPS progressive, and they would still not look the same as 1080p.

For one, interlaced video has missing information in each frame. Two successive frames, while together containing all scan lines, cannot simply be pieced together and result in a progressive scan, since they occur at different times. This means that deinterlacing even 50FPS video into 25FPS video would not look the same as 25FPS progressive (would look worse).

The advantage of interlacing lies merely in bandwidth savings; given a good enough deinterlacing algorithm (and there are several, indicating there is no simple naive approach to deinterlacing that works everywhere), higher resolutions and framerates can be achieved, with 1080i 50FPS having the same bandwidth requirements as 1080p 25FPS.

While 1080i 50FPS would look smoother deinterlaced at 50FPS, the quality per frame compared to 1080p, 25FPS, or 50FPS, is worse.

Interlacing can never achieve the same quality as a progressive scan which is why the move to progressive scans is always encouraged, and done, if possible. 4K content is all progressive.

17. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    If you're talking about movies, it is because 1080p movies that are the normal 21:9'ish ratio are mastered for consumers at 1920*822 or so with the black bars padding it out to 1080.

So when a broadcast company like HBO or others format it for 16:9 TVs, they just upscale it to 1920*1080.

Unless the movie or TV show was 16:9 to begin with, you've all just been watching "zoomed in" content.

With 4K movie masters, the television networks can zoom in and get better-than-1080p verticle resolution.

That's what excited me about 4K movies, with an ultra-wide monitor, we can finally get some great cinema action going on.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  18. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Is there even anything available that can drive this at full color depth or resolution?

19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    latest DP, or two of them because why not? as for gpu power I'm sure if you crossfire or sli enough cards it will run fine, its not the end of the world I think eyefinity setups already beat this long time ago

20. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I didn't realize that DP1.4 had been announced or I forgot, thanks :p.