LG to release 98in 8k-television in 2nd half this year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I like products like this, even though I know they are pointless; it's still good to know companies are pushing tech to new levels and limits.

3. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Why sell stupid resolution TV's when there is no content for them?

FFS, we still haven't got HD right in the UK, upscaled crap and only @ 1080i, very little 'proper' HD and even that's not 'stunning HD' or 'crystal clear' as they like to fob you off with! And no 3D then? Wonder what happened to that bandwagon everyone jumped on!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  4. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Making a rec.2020 color space TV when 99% of the content is rec.709... The TV probably won't even reach rec.2020 color space anyways.

Instead of coming up with B.S. image processing tech to cheat contrast ratio tests, LG should focus on making better panels... taping 4 4K panels together isn't what I mean though...

5. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    I agree. Here in the UK we still cant even get widescreen sorted properly without massive stretching and the so called "HD" is either behind a paywall or hideously upscaled crap that looks worse the better your tv is. SD is apalling quality as well. Lets get everything at a nice decent bitrate before we start thinking about 4k/8k

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Eastenders and Corrie in your face at 8k on a 98in screen, it does not bear thinking about, and can you imagine what the TV licence fee would cost to run such a service. lol

7. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    What I find laughable is that most people in Australia still insist on renting or buying DVD's and playing them on their 1080p televisions. These companies have got no hope selling 8K TV's in this technologically backwards country since the average moron here couldn't care less about playing a 576p movie on a 1080p TV.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You are right about the content, we are still waiting for full 1080p as the norm from OTA channels and not 1080i or simply upscaled (on origin) 576p broadcasts.

http://news.eutelsat.com/pressrelea...first-worldwide-ultra-hd-transmission-1266693

That was last December over Eutelsat (Hotbird) satellites.

:3eyes:

8K will follow the same path as 1080 and 4K: first the TVs then the content.

It's logic, nobody is going to create content if there is no hardware to play/watch it.

NHK channel (Japan) is doing tests in 8K since 2014.

http://advanced-television.com/2014/03/11/nhk-to-demo-8k-video-transmission-over-a-single-channel/

Maybe 8K will be the norm in Japan at the same time US and Europe deploy 4K broadcasts.

http://www.apb-news.com/index.php/news/x-platform/item/2485-nhk-highlights-8k-readiness.html

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Why sell stupid resolution TV's when there is no content for them?
    then why are people buying/driving cars that can go faster than most speed limits?
    do i have to drive a porsche/corvette always at 200mph to enjoy it?

i dont mind spending the money (if i have it) for a ~100in tv, but FHD will definitely NOT cut it at that size, dont care about the content at that time...

and why would anyone in the broadcasting/movie industry care about making UHD/4K material, if there is no one with a UHD set??

10. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Kinda pointless, yeah, but at least it seems LG is trying to drive the technology further. Anyhow, products like those hardly sell; they're more of a "look at what we're capable of producing" kinda product. Also, bragging rights for the few people who will ever buy them.

Haha, I've often wondered what's wrong with certain countries when I watch foreign TV (excerpts from soccer games and such). I'm glad my country doesn't do that. :)

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    licence fee? your kidding right?

12. YQ4869

YQ4869 Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE R9-280x
    I can not imagine how 8K can show us while 2K is already surprise me a lot

13. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Here in blighty we have to pay £150 odd pound a year to the bbc just for the privilage of owning a tv.:puke2: It's total B$.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    wow^ thats the cost of a 40/42" tv here @walmart...thats a lot of money for the government.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i didnt even get 4k tv yet and now they talking 8k.

how bout proper 1080p on TV feeds first, most in the states are 720p/1080i and most and highly compressed for added effect few that are 1080p are more compressed, I all for new tech but we cant even feed 1080p proper, let alone 4k pc's that can do that need super expensive gpu for games for get about 8k.

Bluray look nice "upscaled" to 4 with blurays that can do that, but even that isnt proper 4k

16. readonly

readonly Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    I feel like for non gaming applications (movie and tv) you will absolutely not see a difference between a properly encoded 4k and 8k video. If all else is equal and the tv isn't 120" or something ludicrous it just won't be something you can see from the couch (even just 6-8' away). It's good they push this tech since we need 8k for virtual reality and AR applications and they need to be able to take that source and put it on the screen in an extremely timely manner as well as pushing hdmi and DP to more quickly adapt to higher bandwidth requirements.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the industry adapting to the bandwidth needed for this stuff and actual using for feed out side of the rare times, is what the issue is, tech changing faster then the industry can keep up. we will probably have 12k before we have proper 4k feeds.

to get those proper 1080p feeds and now 4K feeds companies need to spend money to get equipment that can do it proper and most companies dont want to do that, which why we still have sub 1080p with horrid compression.

What even worse is I seen 480p/i feeds on 1080p TV that look 3x better then some of the supposed 720p/1080i feeds, grant those 480p/i feed are black and white 4:3 but some those feed still put the "hd" feeds to shame.

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    We just dropped our SkyHD package down to SD because it's not worth the extra £10 a month and with multi-room x4 Sky already charge us a small fortune with the full package.

UK needs to fix our aging internet infrastructure first as Sky are talking about putting wireless cards in the new Sky boxes so they can stream 4k in the near future. lol.

19. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    have you guys ever played 4k content on a HD screen? looks pretty amazing.

Yes, 4k on HD panel looks good, meaning the panels arent the problem, the content is

20. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    A veritable horde of marketing buzzwords just to say "not OLED, so still no true black". :p