SSHD boots super fast if cold-booted, but not if restarted.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Soundcreepy, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but I figure I would ask it anyway. I recently got a Seagate 4TB SSHD (8gb of a SSD cache I think) and it boots really fast if the computer is just turned on (about 16 seconds) but if I just restart the computer, that time jumps to about 35 seconds. If the computer is left off for even just a few seconds, that boot time is back to its blazing fast speed. I just don't know why a restart would cause it to slow down. Should I even be worrying about this?

ST4000DX001-1CE168

Also is it OK to defrag this drive? Since its primarily just a SATA 3 HDD I would think so, but I'm not sure if that would do anything to the SSD portion.

Win 10 64 bit latest build.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    windows 10 1151 build?

Defraging a SSHD tend to wipe the delete the cached data for SSD side of it.

3. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Yea, sorry, forgot to mention Win 10 64 bit latest build.

Ahhh, well I suppose not defragging wouldn't be terrible. Seems Win 10 is pretty good at sorting/looking for files on its own.

Degragging does not seem to affect boot times with it though, still 16 seconds with a cold boot and 35 with a restart.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there is something wrong with boot time in 1151 build of windows 10 my boot/restart times went from 30 seconds to 1minute or more ever since 1151 build It will randomly everyone once in while boot/restart in 30sec but they rare at this point, windows 10240 and windows 7 both always booted/restarted ins 30 seconds. SSD speeds are the normal 270-250mb for sata II limit

Some people seem to have this problem others do not

5. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Hmm, interesting info thanks. I suppose as long as it isn't an issue with the drive its news I can live with.

Thanks again.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it not the drives performance that is the issue some thing in window 10 "welcome" screen is stalling for one reason or another on some pc's

my SSD has always been 270-250mb R/W give take. if for some reason your drives speed is slower in windows 10 1151 then it was in in 10240 build then some else is wrong.

7. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    It's user error. Always is.

Absolutely nothing is wrong with Windows 10 1151. Especially boot times. Just because you have issues doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. Boots faster than any Windows I've ever used on every System I've ever used it on.

Make sure you dont have APM Features enabled for any PCI-E Lane or your southbridge. That kills boot times.

Mapped network drives being reconnected slows the Welcome screen too. A few things can do that actually. I'd bet my life that it's user error 99% of the time.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im not the only one with the issue and going back to 10240 fixes this.... nor do i have networked drives nor do i even have APM enabled in windows... this issue is 1151 build of windows 10

IF you bothered to read all the win10 topics you would know there other with same issue on multiple computers, with both clean and upgraded installs. its not end user issues

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    In w10 restart is always slower since if you turn off it goes into suspended mode which is faster to boot then a restart.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    has nothing to do with the fastboot function or suspend

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Coming from Windows 7, this had me confused for a while. OP, you could try disabling Hibernation in your power profiles like I did. Saves a bit of space and gives me super consistent boot, restart and shutdown times. I didn't like the idea of my computer never "really" being turned off, since we tend to lose power during storms.

12. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Unfortunately I don't remember anything performance wise pre 1151 so I can't say if this "issue" was still there or not. I'm not bothered enough to perform a update rollback.

I'll try that thanks, I never use Hibernate or Sleep anyway, my computer is either on or off.:)

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    8GB cache with a 4TB harddrive is pointless. The 8GB "cache" only stores your most commonly used files. If that's not Windows system files, it provides no benefit on boot.

Cost vs Performance, Intel's SRT is the best option available followed by a Sandisk ReadyCache drive. While an SSHD is great in theory, until Seagate adds more NAND to them (in the range of 32-64GB), they just aren't going to provide any real performance benefit for gamers. They're great for limited use laptops though... I had one in my Asus laptop and it improved system response dramatically. Of course, I only used Chrome and Internet Explorer so everything I needed was easily stored in the 8GB NAND. If you're using one in a "gaming system", the Windows system files can easily be pushed out of the 8GB NAND section, resulting in no performance benefit on restarts.

14. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    That would make sense for the slow restart times I suppose, but I'm still perplexed on why it boots fast with a cold boot (would a 10 second turn off be a lukewarm boot lol) since I wouldn't think it would have time to throw the System files back into NAND.

And I understand that the 8gb isn't great but I wanted something much bigger than 1 tb and 120 bucks for 4tb and a hard drive faster than I've ever had (my last two were SATA and SATA II) so my overall performance has drastically increased anyway.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With Windows8.x and Windows10, when you select "Shutdown" the system goes into a low power state, similar to hibernation. It doesn't actually shutdown. That's why doing a "cold boot" is faster. If you turn off "Fast Startup", you'll see a big increase in "cold boot" time.

16. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    User error.

Sorry.

APM in Windows??? Ugh, nvm man....

Im a tech who deals with more PC's a week than youve seen in your life. Ive setup more configurations than you can possibly imagine just in the last month ALL with Windows 10.

Not once have I experienced this. Then again I setup PC's correctly so...

And there goes your last bit of credibilty. Jesus dude.... just wow....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  17. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Oh wow, I never knew this, good to know thanks!

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This doesn't excuse your attitude. Over the years, I've setup thousands of systems and never had half the problems people on this forum have had. At the end of the day though, neither of us are any better than anyone else on this forum.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Fast boot on or off has no baring on boot speed cold/restart both boot 1minute +

Likes said Fast boot, hibernation are all disabled and have been disable on every system since i since win7 I have zero use for either nor do i care for them. the system is NOT going in to suspend mode disabling fast boot/Fast Start up disabled the hybrid suspense anyway, nor does turn it back on fix anything

If i go back to windows 7 or windows 10 10240 boot time both cold/restart are both 30 seconds, nothing my system changed in either windows setting or the bios, windows 1151 is the issue. you are welcome to think it user error all you want, you wrong though, and the other that have same issue with 1151 across multiple pc will say the same thing.

If going back to win7 and windows 10240 DIDNT fix the issue then it user error but it does not. so go be troll else where.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Don't mind him. The forum has a handy ignore feature. I used to do system configuration and remote administration for doctors' offices. You don't see me posting with a chip on my shoulder. Some people just feel they're superior because of their job choice, regardless of how easy the job is to do.