Decided to take a trip down memory lane.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by PhazeDelta1, Dec 21, 2015.

1. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    well men i will be playin quak elive as soon as irember my passwd but it is not lookin good I have been tryin to remeber it for a month now an not got it :( (I never writ my paswords down on papare)

it is been so long now that i bet i am the rubbish at the game hehe i will be turn my head like a turnip an not no what hit me like a woman with the vbrate set to max!! (makin her teeth shake)

2. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    PhazeDelta1: Not bad to play Mass Effect series or Kotor.

Mean time not bad to play Mafia series,The Saboteur or LA Noire.Classic era games.
    We will not have this kind of games for a long time.No devs like this will ever bring us such kind of games.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I am currently playing Deus Ex Human Revolution, trying to finish it this time.. I have gotten up to a certain part in the past and then never got past it... This time I will beat it!

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I still need to play Max Payne 3 when I get the chance. I own it on steam, but the download failed somehow at a point, had to redownload and I couldn't be bothered with my 12 mbit internet back then.

Perhaps I should give it a whirl now with my 100 mbit... as it won't take 2 decades to download this time around.

5. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yea, I still have Max Payne 3 rdy to play, but I think I want to replay 1 and 2 first to lead into it, so I got them cheap on steam. Once I finish Syndicate, I'll go back through that trilogy.

Was going to start Fallout 4, but from what I see the modding isn't going to stop, so I'll play it this spring, when there are some real quality mods that have been refined over the winter.

6. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    If you want to you can either build one from new and used parts found on eBay and places like eSaitech.com. Or you might get lucky and find a complete Win98SE computer. I ended up doing both. I have a brand new Gateway P3 system complete with the Win98SE CD and other goodies. I found it on eBay from a guy who bought it, never opened the boxes and stored them in his attic for 16 years. I got the whole thing for $400!

My homebuilt has a pair of 3DFX Voodoo2 cards in SLI and I have a Voodoo5 that I bought off a fellow Guru3D member. It really is a lot of fun doing this sort of thing. I'm even contemplating scrounging up an old Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 just for old times sake. Currently I have both of those as emulators from Cloanto.com (they own the Amiga and C64 OS software).

7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm just finishing up another Jagged Alliance: Back in Action (modded) playthrough. I'm itching to jump into CK2 for a couple hundred more hours soon too (currently at 807hrs and probably will triple that eventually). I also want to play FarCry 4 over the winter, but first I'm trying to verify if my new monitor has an issue or if it's the DP cable. :/

8. DiEgO

DiEgO Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II
    I am near the end of Psychonauts, first time I leave it half way through.

Next Stop: System Shock 2, never finished either.

9. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Awesome :D

I still have my Amiga500 (boosted to 1MB Ram) in the attic of my parents.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You guys make me wonder if I should revitalize my old Athlon64 system and set up some XP or something older.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Make it fun, go with ME :D

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Heh, to be honest, my current rig makes me busy enough, unstable overclocks and weird behavior at times. Wouldn't want to double it with ME :D

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, don't blame you, drop your clocks and see if it starts behaving again, then begin the whole OC routine from scratch, might save a lot of time searching for problems that end up being OC issues

14. LadiesMan32

LadiesMan32 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro Crossfire
    Nice thread! good list of games! its hard to squeeze in time in my already busy gaming schedule, currently in the middle of fallout 4, recently started my second playthrough of the witcher 3, and relieving my multiplayer urge with halo 5.

The past two days though ive been playing a few skirmishes of total annihilation which has been a lot of fun. Ive had a craving to play through the witcher 1, crysis 1, and mass effect 1 again though. Those shall be next once I'm done with fallout or witcher :)

Edit: Oh and for more nostalgia sake, ive been playing total annihilation on my first gaming laptop from like 12 years ago. Its a gateway m675prr with a P4 3.4ghz with HT, 2gb ram, win xp, and a 128mb radeon 9700. This thing was a BEAST back when my dad bought it. I still keep it for my old games:)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  15. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I have such a huge backlog of PC and PS3 games to go through, that I’m not sure if I’ll have the time to revisit older games any time soon. If I still decide to do it, I’ll probably play some S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Max Payne or that old gem Beyond Good and Evil.

16. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Cool. My old Amiga had the extra 512K RAM kit as well. It was outfitted with an external 40 Meg SCSI hard drive and a Commodore 15" monitor displaying 1096 colors (in 1987!). But I sold it in 1994 when I bought my first 486 Gateway that came with 4 Megs of RAM and a 2X CD drive.

The emulator I have from Cloanto gives me access to all versions of the Amiga including the Amiga 4000. They own Amiga Workbench now and incorporated it with WinUAE (Windows Universal Amiga Emulator). All the original Amiga games can be found on the Internet as files that you unpack and install on a virtual drive. Once it's all set up you just open Workbench, click on the file cabinet icon and double-click to launch a game. I bought the emulator for $30 which includes a license for the Amiga OS and a starter kit of games.

They have a similar setup for Commodore 64. They are called, "Amiga Forever" and "C64 Forever" respectively. I run both without any problems at all on my Win7 computer.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  17. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Just got S.T.A.L.K.E.R SoC, Clear Skies and Pripyat bundle for $25 on Steam sale.
    Yep that what imma gonna be doin :)

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Hell yea! One of the best action games ever. The only problem is that when I play it is that I drink bourbon just like Max.

19. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I forgot to mention something about the Amiga emulator that a fomer owner of an actual Amiga would appreciate. When you start up a game it takes the same amount of time for the software to process as it would on the original hardware. And Cloanto has included the sounds of the disk drive reading the disk while to software is loading. This little feature does have an impact on your experience of using the emulator that I found pleasing.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Cant play most older games. Mainly because they've been surpassed on every level by by newer games. Especially FPS since they're inferior in combat mechanics, graphics, gameplay (vs todays titles). Crysis 1 feels to me now almost what Quake 2 felt like when Crysis was first released. Even its graphics (aside from detailed foliage) sucks now (yes, sucks) vs newer titles.

Mass Effect 2 though I think I can get into if I give it a shot, though the element of surprise is gone which may drag it down a bit. HL2 I tried to replay a few months back and quit about 20% through. Again inferior for same reasons mentioned. Nice nostalgia for a brief moment but quickly wore off. Only old games I can play are RTS, like Supcom, Supcom FA, Rise of Nations, etc, as these have room for variation and experimenting with new strategies.

A few weeks ago I replayed Tomb Raider (2013) and loved it as much as the first time.. but thats not an old game really.