Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Doesn't TXAA have a supersampling element and is usually very slow? Or is it my idea?

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    TSSAA have a supersampling. That's why it is sooo good. TXAA have pure msaa.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    As The Mac said reshade and similar tools can inject SMAA.

Speaking about SMAA i saw a few weeks ago a very suspicious to be fake .exe claimed to launch Fallout 4 in DX9:

http://horo-game.com/fallout-4-launching-to-directx-9/

If it was real GeDoSaTo will be able to work with this modified Fallout exe to enable his downsampling magic SMAA and more graphic settings.

Manipulate this .exe only while using a power armor.

:nerd:

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    TAA, SSAO, And Bokeh

5. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Well, that's why - TAA.

Hmm. Interesting. FO4 has DX10+ texture format for normals and speculars. They wouldn't even open with standard DX9 DDS tools. You need to convert it manually to DX9 to edit those. This was the first surprise for modders after game release...

6. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    It uses (I read this, so I don't know if it is accurate) MSAA + additional effect filter of sorts. All I know is that the end result is no shimmering, very little blur and it's very good. It (4xTXAA), in my opinion, gave me better image and less performance impact than downsampling from 1440p +2xMSAA.
    Some say that TXAA uses CUDA for some calculations. Some say it's not. I really don't know but it looks good. Looks like downsampling but with even less shimmering and a bit less performance impact but there are more detailed analysis on the net, I last used it with GF 560Ti....

yes, I use it often, but the queston was - does it work CFX AFR?

I use reshade to run sweetFX in FO4, I use it to desaturate and to luma sharpen and it's very good with game's own TAA but I am on a single GPU so I can use TAA (which is good in combination with luma sharpen, very good indeed, just don't overdo sharpen, you get shimmering and some weird rendering on thin lines, like fences etc.)

edit:

btw. If anyone wants to try: google sweetfx 2.0 alpha. You will find a link to ENB site that will have you download ENB and SWFX 2.0. You put them in FO4 folder as you would normally do anyway, and then in the sweetfx folder you will edit sweetfx.preset file and enable/disable what effects to use etc. SMAA works, FXAA too. IMHO, TAA is better and you should disable those in SWFX and use just luma sharpen a bit. No performance impact (well, for me) but you will get a better looking game, sharper textures etc. I use just a bit of it, like from 0 to 3 I use 0.3 luma sharpen strength. You can also edit ENB ini's and presets to enable OSD that shows TIME(!) and fps. Time is very useful lol :D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  7. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    That's why its so good in motion: you've got current and next frame "pre-anti-aliased" with very low or even none noticeable transition...meaning - no "edge crawling"...

8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    thats it. I mean, I really hate shimmering and I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw TXAA in action, though, COD Ghosts is trash TXAA was brilliant imo.

9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Theoretically, TAA has the same temporal component as the acronym TAA is Temporal Anti Aliasing.

Nvidia has some special sauce obviously to make theirs better (cuda).

10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    it's a lot sharper I can tell you that. It's as sharp, if not sharper, than using downsampling. TAA in FO4 is good, but it takes away a lot of detail. Now, in FO4 that is not a major problem since, well, there isn;t much detail to begin with but TAA would be terrible in something like, say, crysis 3?!

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i have a couple HD texture pack mods installed, its still very good.

I dont notice the lack of sharpness.

12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    couple of pages back I posted my sweetfx config, but you don't have to hunt for it, you can do what I posted 2 hours ago here, get alpha 2.0 sweetfx and enb for it, just disable everything save for luma sharpen, launch game and you will see. It has a lot of room for being sharper. it's easy to do, sweetfx preset file has all effects listed in the top, they are 1 or 0 (enable / disable) before their description. Easy-peesy.

edit: when you "install it" you will dump everything into FO4 main folder, you will get sweetfx folder inside fo4 main folder, you go there and open SweetFX_settings.txt and it will be clear what you should do. :)

13. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    If they using cuda for TXAA it's for processing/ calcualation only...as in API. You can do the same thing via pure CPU or via Direct Compute.

14. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    true but AMD decided that MLAA and Crimson are better things to do.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    TXAA has to be enabled in game. And doing any kind of temporal AA without messing with a game's render pipeline is almost impossible. As hard as enabling SLI/CFX.

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    not really, it just adds some latency, as it has to be predictive.

a frame or two if latency is hardly important.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Isn't this the same case as AFR? In both cases you supposedly have just some frame latency. Yet it's proven not to be so simple.

18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I am pretty sure that FXAA and MLAA take output image and analyze colors (contrast, levels etc) then apply "AA" to it then send it for display. It has to add latency but I think it's trivial for todays CPUs

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Both of them don't use temporal data (data from previous frames), so their implementation is relatively trivial.

20. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    15.12 drivers fix the compass?