Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Oh, really? R9 290 and 80 FPS on everything ULTRA plus with those ^^ settings in shadow boost (which we don't even heard of) :D

Load this exac save game would ya...and tell us about 80 FPS on this exac spot :p

'SAVE FILE' Download Link

click on image to full size
    [​IMG]

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yeah, I just went to that exact spot with all settings on Ultra and zero mods. Goes down to 30 FPS until I look away or turn around. If I exit and put shadow distance on low, the game stays at 60 everywhere, even Corvega and Diamond City Market. The Shadows look like trash and pop up 2 feet in front of you in that case, so I keep it all on Ultra and deal with the occasional overloading of the ancient engine. Maybe DumSkidderik can maintain 80 FPS at that spot because of being on an i7 and having the shadows cut WAY down at that spot. With shadows on Ultra, I'd be skeptical even with an i7.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Well done, like AMD typical "solution"...

...."Just disable it"!

Fix all problems for sure.

:D

4. DumSkidderik

DumSkidderik Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    That's one nasty spot :D
    Down to 36fps with everything maxed, still get 80 on ground level where 99% of the action is anyway :)

Shadowboost is not a setting, it's a mod that dynamically changes shadowdistance to keep FPS high!
    If I could I'd include links to a few screenshots :)

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe you don believe me but shadowboost mod for Fallout 4 is not something unknown in here.

As new user you still don't get fr33jack fine irony.

:rolleyes:

6. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    so much irony here...starting with disabling game tick speed to get more fps and then bragging about it ^^

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yep.

Main FPS problem in this game is not max FPS, it's the average "roller coaster".

Engine is ancient and the load put on top of it is excessive and buggy.

The use of immense amounts of DX 11 draw calls almost everywhere outdoors, looking through windows and even through walls!!! is not favoring AMD GPUs at all.

8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    It's not much better (if at all) with nVidia. Engine is just ancient. This is that one time I wish they locked the game to 30 fps but make it not drop under 30 ever.

9. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    That spot, the draw calls is 12k according to Reshade. :wanker:

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Did you tried 1800p VSR in Fallout 4?

Your CFX setup can handle this res with middle-high graphic settings and average GPU usage is WAY better.

For CFX users shadowboost, AFR, TXAA and 1800p vsr (or 4K if GPU is not driver limited) is the way to go.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    isn't (it is) TXAA nVidia's exclusive AA thing? Not TAA, but TXAA specifically.
    I get confused around here when someone says TXAA sucks, then I see he has AMD, and when I had nVidia and played stupid CoD Ghosts TXAA was a next best thing to downsampling + MSAA with less cost etc.
    This TAA in fallout 4 is nothing like nVidia's TXAA...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I spoke specifically about CFX AFR.

In CFX TAA doesn't work well.CFX users should use TXAA instead.

TAA is fine for single GPU use.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  13. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    ok but how do you utilize nVidia TXAA on AMD? Afaik, it's locked because it is tied to CUDA for calculating something or just tied to CUDA to prevent AMD from using it or whatever...I don't know really, I am asking. :) Some people say you could use it, others say you could use it if it weren't locked etc.

14. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    You mean FXAA, TXAA is only supported by Nvidia cards.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You are right.

FXAA not TXAA.

Too much AAs with something in front confused me.

:D

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    finally, mystery resolved :D

FXAA sucks ass. Can't you use SMAA in CFX? (asking, not arguing)

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i believe the reshade mods allow smaa.

18. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Well. AMD cards can do TXAA in theory...but it's a patented Nvidia tech, ergo it cannot be used outside Nvidia. Only if they sold it or give the rights to use it. And all those words about how can it be done only via cuda cores or on kepler + above just a regular PR bs: we here are so smart and cool and innovative and other guys are pathetic stupid and their tech is inferior and slow'ish and in any way no good. Standard corporate bs...on both (any) sides. Ancient law of any salesman: if you want to sell more of your product you must give a lots of bullsh*t to peasants for free...and don't forget to snitch on rival merchants to Roman authorities about pagan gods they worship...so they can throw their *rses to the pits...

Planet Earth. Welcome.

:)

PS. Don't mind TXAA so hard guys. TAA practically the same. And TSSAA is even better. And it's easier for any game developer to implement it in their games. Cause you don't need to collaborate with Nvidia that much, right...and in the end the user base would be much happier due to lack of "brand only" related anti-aliasing...which is one of the most important game engine feature for any user. Admit it, nobody would enjoy any game if it has tremendous amount of jaggedness with very poor and blurry fxaa only solution or even with smaa which actually doing the bad job on diagonal edges and pixel transitions which leads to heavy "edge crawling". SSAA, MSAA, OGSSAA is the best but also demanding. TAA/ TSSAA is the second best. Any pure post-processing AA...just a post-processing AA = mediocre: low end, old gen solution.

PPS. Don't even start please on combining two post-processing AA: fxaa + smaa. It's just a travesty! A heresy! As born christian, tho i'm a pure atheist (nobody asked me about how I feel on being baptized when I was an infant), I think of such actions as the ungodly acts. Shame on you if you doing so! :p

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Personally, i dont notice a whole lot of aliasing on this game anyway.

Even at 1080p

20. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    With TAA? Or FXAA? Or none of above?