NVidia HD out...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by tsunami231, Dec 21, 2015.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So at some point I gona have no choice but to start using HDMI out on PC to my HDTV. consider pretty much no HDTV has DP or DVI anymore few that do are way to expensive.

So I started to play around with. Defualt windows drivers for HDMI out on GPU is 2 channel only and NVIDIA card are supposed to be able to do 7.1 which would mean DD if program supports it, SO installed the Nvidia HD AUDIO and when lookin at the device it say it only 2 channels?? so what happen to 7.1 it claims? 1.3 hdmi and high speed (cat2) HDMI 10gbs are supposed to be able carry and send 5.1/DD

other issue i noticed is I cant have my Onboard sound and HDMI sound from the GPU at SAME TIME, which means I would have to change default sound device every time I wanted to use my HDTV which would defeat the whole purpose of 1 cable to rule them all imo is there not way to have both on board sound and GPU hdmi out sound play at SAME TIME.

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I use a HDTV and hdmi

I switch sound to my TV when gaming as sitting in front of TV,
    for 3D movies and 3D projector I switch Back to 5.1 surround sound it would be nice to run both and just switch sound of with a remote for the one I don't want.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Does your TV have 7.1 or 5.1 speakers? HDMI device provides the sound in the format which the HDMI receiver can handle. Most TVs are limited to PCM stereo.

Well, these are two different devices with different drivers and all. An application can talk to either but not to both at the same time. So no, there is no way of having the same audio from one application on both devices.

It's also rather unlikely that you really want this as you probably won't have both audio setups playing at the same time and will switch / turn off one of them - which is basically the same as changing the audio device in Windows settings.

If you need to switch to TV audio when using the TV try Win+P shortcut. When extending to TV you may setup the TV as the default device. And when running PC screen only you will have the PC audio device only which will be selected automatically in the absence of the TV device.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The GPU can't output bitstreamed DTS-HD/Etc if the source material going to the GPU has it itself.

Most surround sound delivered through HDMI is LPCM. And the receiver has to support it. The software has to support native surround sound. And the device has to be set up for surround sound.

5. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    900 series can send DTS-HD etc. Make sure Windows sound settings are 5.1. This setting can be set in the Nvidia control panel. Going to the TV 1st could limit you. I use an HDMI receiver and have for years in my setup. Nvidia HD sound always works perfectly for me and sounds incredible with the right setup.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Nircmd to change default sound device via command line
    Displayswitch\Ultramon to switch screen setups
    put in in a batch file or vb script

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have AV unit that has optical and does DD, BUt i have never seen it play DD for anything from my pc.

Now i about to buy a new AV unit with 4k HDMI pass threw, and was hoping the computer or well the GPU's HDMI would be smart of to switch to ITS audio when the HDMI out on GPU is active, and from what i seeing that not gona happen.

I fiqure I have to configure my sound for my defualt audio driver to 5.1 to even get DD, but like said i never seen it and i know Deus ex HR is DD.

Only way around this I found was to enable Stereo mixer in recording device, and set it to defualt and have listen to the device and out put it to mthe HDTV connecton, but I gathering even IF i have my defualt device setup to 5.1 that 5.1 wont go threw and if it does probably wont be DD.

IF the GPU had HDMI control and pretty much switch to correct audio source when it was active there would be no problem. like most AC units nd newer tvs doo

I dont want both playing, I want the 3.5mm playing (realtek) when my monitor is used, and I want the HDMI audio device playing when HDMI video is being sent to my HDTV, with 5.1 DD/etc. i serisouly shock that this isnt done automaticly.

MY current sent is DVI to VGA on my HDTV with the 3.5mm on the realtek split 1 to my pc speakers 1 to my HDTV, but IF switch to HDMI i cant do this and have to go threw more hoops to get to have sound

I need both realtek audio device there no way around that

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  8. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    Most games on pc do not bit stream and instead send PCM so you will not see DD lighting up on your receiver when gaming and never over optical. HDMI solves all of this for me.

DD is a compressed or lossy audio format. The PCM stream that comes from most games is probably much better anyway. I believe a lot of game audio assets are encoded in at least 24/48000 these days witchh is far more bandwidth per channel than DD. Ideally, you don't want to see DD. The PCM is probably much better.

If you want bitstreaming you can have DTS-HD and DD-HD on the 900 series with no problem however PCM at 24/96000 is essentially the exact same thing as long as you have at least 5.1.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Well I know DD is limited these days.

My original statment stands though, why does the GPU HDMI out not have the presence to Switch it its AUDIO source when the HDMI is actively send video signals? I would think a PC of all things would able to do this? I mean really the GPU is perfectly cable ot tell when more then 1 monitor is connect and when they are actual on.

that is kinda the point of HDMI and HDMI control, Likes I said when I get new HDTV i gona have no choice but to go threw HDMI which where the AV receiver with HDMI passthrew comes in. and any convenience HDMI cable provided is negate by they fact when HDMI out on the GPU is active it does not change the sound to HDMI output require me to manual change it, which what i want to aviod.

Or is this more of NVIDIA HDMI/AUDIO driver issue. where they would need to add check for IF HDMI out with audio is active it changes windows defualt device to it and when it not active it defualts back to realtek. or that wishfull thinking?

CAuse I need both REALTEK and NVIDIA HD AUDIO, only way around this would be IF

GPU had 2 HDMI (hdtv and monitor) and the monitor had audio out, which my moniter does not which would require me to get new monitor.

OR

DP could out put video/sound to monitor and and hdmi could video and sound to hdtv in which case i would not need realtek enabled let alone drivers installed

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Apologies if i'm not understanding your post correctly, but how exactly are you hooking this all up?

It should be with two HDMI cables, one from GPU to receiver, and one from receiver to the TV.
    Once you have configured the Nvidia HD Audio to output 5.1 there should be no need for any manual changing.

This enables DD/DTS on any DVD/BluRay that supports it, and HD formats like PCM/DTS-HD/DolbyTrueHD on BluRay.

Games wise it will always be PCM 5.1 as no PC game has support for DD 5.1.

Edit: Just read a few posts a few times.
    Are you hooking the GPU up to a receiver/TV and monitor at the same time, i'm assuming the monitor is quite old and has no HDMI audio support which is why you need the 3.5mm cable from the onboard??

As per a few posts up, if you need to use the Realtek then you need to switch manually as this has never been a automatic thing on the PC.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Eh I Gona get AV reciver with 4k 2.2 hdcp and stand by pass threw for hdmi.

then
    GPU hdmi-> AV receiver -> HDTV

And from my understand the HDMI port when active WILL not trigger the PC to auto switch to HDMI audio device correct? requiring to manual change the audio sound when active the HDMI out. is there no such thing as HDMI control on pc's where it switch automatically to correct input/output??

Monitor has no audio support.

As for the Realtek never optical not out putting DD/DTS threw optical... I fixed that apparently official drivers have that locked to only 2 channels for the optical http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...olby-digital-live-and-dts-interactive.193148/

After do this Realtek optical DD and DTS in almost everything tried accord to my DA555ES seeing the blue light goes on, and reports DD or DTS depend on what mode i set in the realtek cp. And i hear huge difference so DD/DTS work great now.

And i know it DD and DTS mode cause my DA555ES in DD mode sound as it should(huge difference from prologic and DD) and in DTS mode the sound get all wobble. on ALL device that feed that receiver DTS signal so i know for fact DD/DTS works now threw realtek optical

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, as PC audio (even over HDMI) is independent from the video so it will always need some sort of user input if a more than one audio capable device is detected by the OS.

The official Realtek drivers should support DD/DTS on movies, just not games as no PC games have native DD/DTS 5.1 support so need software to do real-time re-encoding to a compressed format that while lower quality is still better than a PCM 2.0 signal up-mixed to 5.1 via PL2 etc.....
    I'm assuming the official Realtek drivers have licensing issues with DD Live/DTS Connect which is why unofficial drivers are needed.

There is no way for you to keep using the Realtek stuff without manual switching, if you get a new HDMI receiver then this should work, but i have yet to physically test it.

1. GPU HDMI1 to receiver and receiver to TV = DD/DTS 5.1 for movies and PCM 5.1 for games.
    2. GPU HDMI2 to monitor and the receiver set to the same input you use for the TV, so even though the TV may be switched off the receiver will still be receiving an audio signal so you will have the same audio options as option 1 even though you are now using a monitor without audio support

Other options could be an HDMI splitter for the TV/monitor, or a receiver that has 2 HDMI outs.

Keeping it with HDMI and eliminating on-board and optical cables will keep the audio quality as high as possible (small performance increase as well) but it will also keep things as convenient as possible.
    Once you have it up and running that is.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    things to think about, i first have to get new STR-DH860 i looking at.

I like the idea of HDMI all in one for audio/video, but from what you saying I wont get DD/DTS from HDMI out of gpu either, it just wont be locked to 2 channels and actual be 5.1 channels

and DD/DTS i getting now if hacked realtek drivers are encode on the fly by the drivers so it probably add lil peformance hit to system. Either way I hear huge diffrence between the HAcked realtek drivers and offical, consider the offical ones are locked to only 2 channels threw optical, hence the prologic my stereo sayed

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Is it the DN860 or DH860?

With HDMI you will get whatever format (receiver supported) you want.
    So on DVD it will be DD/DTS, on BluRay it would be DD/DTS and HD audio like DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD and PCM.

Games will be PCM 5/7.1 which is what you want and better than DD/DTS as that is just a workaround/hack for people without analog multi-channel or HDMI.

Yeah, the hacked Realtek drivers will always sound better than the official when it comes to games as while the encoding will reduce the actual fidelity a little, it more than worth if the result is true discrete 5.1 and not an upmix.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my bad its DN860 i looking at. honestly dont care about the whole DD/DTS it more of the fact the OFFICAL drivers only outputed 2 channels from the Optical out, and the AV was turning that into prologic(which really 4.1 FR,center, FL, RS + sub), even with my ear issue i hear diffrence from 5.1 and prologic

even the hacked drivers only do 2 channel and pro logic, if either of the 2 driver outputted 5.1 (FR,center,FL,RR,RL +sub ) from the optical i wouldnt care if it was DD/DTS

I have to actual pick DDL/DTS to get actual 5.1

So HDMI to AV will give me 5.1 sound (FR,center,FL,RL,RR + sub) and not 4.1 (FR,center,FL,RS+ sub) ?

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nice looking receiver, just started pricing that myself locally.

Yeah, because of the bandwidth limitations of optical you will always need a hack of sorts when it comes to gaming audio, thankfully HDMI has more than enough bandwidth.

Yes, HDMI to AV will give you actual 5.1 sound in games.
    You will also get 6/7.2 sound on that receiver, but i'm assuming that like many of us you likely don't have the space for an extra two speakers and another sub.

Edit: Just noticed this in the recent drivers, so looks like you should have options.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    long as HDMI will give 5.1/ etc, other wise the point of getting the AV unit would been pointless from PC side of things, for everthing else less wires!

Technically i dont have room for 5.1, i just got tried of the soundbars "idea" of what surround sounds like.

First i have replace DA555ES cause of lack of hdmi and the failing DTS function ( wobbling sound i mention earlier) then I need to replace my 5.1 speakers seeing the sub is fault auto on/off is broke and produces poping sound ever minute when "off" and it buzzes when it is "off" beside the 5.1 speakers are like 15 year old KLH HTA-809 they really were that good back then either but had worse av unit back then

Probably get the Polk TL1600 to go with the av unit

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, that was the main reason i switched to HDMI.
    Beforehand i had 3 sets of 3.5 to RCA jacks going from the soundcard to an older 5.1 receiver that had analog multi-channel inputs.

Not only have i saved space with cables, i have tidied up the inside of the PC by removing the sound card.

The Polk TL1600 looks good and seems to get positive reviews, you also might not have to spend as much on a HT receiver as while the DN860 is great and feature packed you may not need or even use alot of the stuff on it.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it was the cheapest AV unit i found at crutchfield that support 2.2 HDCP and the other stufff i needed or wanted in AV UNIT besides they usual last me 10+ years.