AMD Radeon Crimson Edition 15.12 December 17

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by twtaylor, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yet it's not resolved? Swell.

2. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    Did AMD forget about me? I can't install 15.12 WHQL, because my iGPU is legacy. That's sad.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I noticed that when uninstalling the Crimsons you are given the choice of uninstalling only the current gpu driver or else uninstalling all AMD gpu drivers--too bad AMD didn't think anything of documenting the function, because IIRC it defaults to uninstalling all AMD GPU drivers--which takes much longer. So if you are always uninstalling them all then it takes longer to reinstall, too. Hit the "change" button on the Crimson uninstall screen to change to uninstalling only the current driver. Maybe that will help...

After a few experiments I've found the best mix is to install the Catalysts and then use the device manager to install the latest Crimson drivers (into the Catalyst CC shell.) Works great--provides the latest drivers while still providing the full function of the Catalysts--including proper support for the new custom res utility--which ironically doesn't seem to work in the Crimson interface--but works fine inside the Catalysts shell. Also weirdly enough, I've noticed that the CCC uses less system overhead (ram) than the Crimson interface--at least by half.

No doubt in my mind that somebody at AMD pushed the Crimsons out months before the interface was ready for prime time. Since release, somebody @ AMD has really, really screwed up the driver numbering scheme (the 15.11.1b Catalysts from November 14 have been completely removed from AMD's site and replaced by the 15.11.1b Crimson drivers!) This latest 15.12 WHQL is the same driver already released--it is truly driver madness over there right now. Hopefully in the new year sanity returns!

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its fixed for the 390x aprently.

390/290x/290 is still open.

5. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Someone get me out of this MEss!

I have been getting BSODs continuously since the fateful day I decided to move to crimson drivers in windows 10. And now, I can't even run installation of any of the AMD drivers, not even the catalyst ones, without my system freezing. The crimson driver installation runs up to the the 50% mark whence the PC crashes to BSOD giving a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error. I have tried everything, from doing a clean driver install using DDU to trying to revert to a older Intel HD 4000 driver (unsuccessfully), but nothing seems to work. The system tends to freeze even at startup, and it takes multiple restarts along with some luck to get it to respond.

My system is an alienware m17xr4 sporting a 7970M.

Any help would be appreciated. Please get me out of this mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Does anyone know how to stop VSR turning itself off every reboot?

@insomnia

maybe try "resetting" windows 10?

that's the fancy new name for repairing the OS

back up all important data and use the reset everything option

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    That's not clear at all.

Maybe it's only fixed in a single 390X GPU used by the drivers team.

:D

8. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Thank you!

Thanks people for your prompt response. I'm a bit of a squib when it comes to playing around with the system. Would really appreciate if you could guide me step by step as to what I need to do.

9. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    How to upload to online host

The rest I have done as instructed. How do I upload the file to an online host?

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I prefer to keep my installations completely clean. I have Tunngle installed, and it might be their network adapter that causes the problem. I have it permanently disabled now, and I'll check the suggestion to disable all network interfaces the next time I install. I agree about the mess at AMD. On the other hand I believe that getting Crimson out fast, was a good move in the end. Since I'm not using Overdrive, I didn't encounter any kind of problem, and the driver is REALLY fast.

Is it actually fixed, or they simply say it is? It's funny they don't even acknowledge that it's a problem that all of their cards have.

11. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
  12. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
  13. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
  14. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Thank you

Really appreciate your assistance. Will try this right away. One more thing: where to I find this file you want me to rename?

15. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Uninstall both intel + AMD?

Wouldn't I lose my display if I uninstall both intel and AMD drivers through DDU? And should I use recovery media in the eventuality if even this doesn't work?

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    On next reboot in normal mode OS will load the same basic VGA driver it uses in safe mode because you have just unninstalled all GPU drivers.

Your display is not going anywhere by itself.

:D

17. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Not Working, same BSOD at 50% driver installation

Thank you for the help. Still facing the same issue. Should I try recovery media?

18. FarEast

FarEast Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming
    beware of this driver..i just installed it on a friend pc with a brand new sapphire r9-280 and it died after 1 hour..getting pink artifact everywhere

19. Insomnia

Insomnia Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Which intel Driver to install?

Which intel driver should I install? The one from the dell website says that my "computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements

20. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    I'd be curious if the fan-profile issues still exist in 15.12 to some degree. Not personally had an issue with my Fury-X on 15.12 yet, however I've also just been in Visual Studio alot over the last few days. I know, it's supposedly fixed ... but it's a thing where it's better safe than sorry and probably best to still monitor.

Did you happen to have any monitoring tools (with an OSD) open around the time that it died that may give an idea on what your temps were?

Beyond that, I've had several videocards in the past that just coincidentally died in their first week of use. They're analogy wise like lightbulbs and pretty hard to predict when they'll burn out.