AMD Radeon Software Crimson Hotix November 30

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rflair, Dec 1, 2015.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    no: 2 days from the 15th, that means today.

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Could it be "next week"?

No need to wait until tomorrow, all problem must be "hardware" scaler related for sure.

An upgrade to superior 285 should solve all problems.

:D

Don't be so sweetie.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hope it works, does for me AFAIK (WU hasn't shoved a single driver down my throat since) ;)

Yea I got the exact same block patterns with Crimson in SoM, using Cat 15.11.1 betas atm, just fine.

Always installed CCC as it has some features like color management I use.
    All tweaking I do via RadeonPro and overclocking via AB though.

4. GeRmAnOs

GeRmAnOs Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6950XT
    15.12 site is live now ,but no dl links :(

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    waaat? :bang:

i am downloading right now as i am typing :banana:

6. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    15.12 download available via the amd driver download page.

7. Lordmau5

Lordmau5 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 390X
  8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    "Great" job AMD you only needed 17 days of December to WHQL'ed the November 30 hotfix for Crimson drivers (15.11.1 beta crimson) and re-released it labeled as "Crimson 15.12 WHQL".

Well done, as monthly driver it's fast.

I guess this SUPREME Effort need a full month rest as a bonus for the driver team to recover.

:bed:

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I am still waiting for Omega phase 2...

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This was BS Phase 2 a few months ago when AMD officially released VSR for series 7000 and other GPUs adding "a needed hardware" scaler via drivers.

:D

11. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    Why would I? I got my GPU for Witcher and other games, not for Furmark. For that matter, I could simply throw the computer from the 10th floor, I'm sure power readings would be amazing, though equally useless.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    To know the maximum peak usage of your rig with this GPU(S) in readings forcing them to max usage.

Normally the PSU problem are related to peak power usage not average usage.

Furmark will show you the maximum power usage in readings and test the stability of your rig PSU (ang GPUs) with this maximum usage.

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    In Fallout 4 I have the compass corruption along with every 3 legged robot (can't believe the name escapes me right now) having rainbows along their bottom half. In SoM, it is rectangular patches of squares in a deep blue or black color that cover portions of the screen. Their placement can vary depending on what land you are in, where you point the camera and GFX settings. Also, Civ 5 has the issue of all of the clouds constantly flickering with all GFX settings maxed if you have that game to test.

Lucky you for not having the corruption. My brother also seems to have escaped my fate with the Crimson beta driver. He has a Z87 machine with an MSI 290 and an Intel i5-3570k and Crimson beta is doing very well for him.

At this point I'm 99% sure it is not something else causing these issues. Nothing else is running. That was my first stab at this whole situation almost a week ago, disabling everything and working my way back to normal. No matter what I do with Crimson beta drivers I get the same corruption in the same games. If I go back to 15.7.1 CCC all of those same games play perfectly fine in every way.

Lastly, I've been on my computer for 2 hours since getting back home and Windows 10 has NOT yet overwritten my drivers. Crossing my fingers that the gpedit stuff worked.

EDIT - @ AsiJu - I'm going to stay with 15.7.1 for the next 24-48 hours to see if Windows can behave, and to get some stinkin' gaming in! I've been troubleshooting since the day Crimson betas came out and I just want to game for now. Will very likely try the 15.11.1 CCC drivers out next week if all goes well.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ one more thing: you can also disable automatic updates from WU with GPE.

Go to Computer Conf. -> Admin. templates -> Windows components -> Windows Update.

Right click on Configure Automatic Updates. Set to Enabled and from the dropbox you can select the desired behaviour.
    Recommend option "notify for download and notify for install". That should allow you to bypass unwanted updates as before.

Though I have only WU driver searching configured atm and that should be enough, but you can configure both to be sure.
    I've sometimes had issues with WU not showing all updates if it's not set to automatic.

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Sorry, I've been on one monitor for the last 8 years or so. Last time I used 2 screens was back with my X850XT! What you are describing sounds a lot like a problem I had back when, where my X850XT would always stay at full clocks with 2 screens hooked up which allowed me a higher OC for some reason. Yet as soon as I went to one screen and the clocks started varying and bouncing I would get blue or black screen loops.

Have you tried resetting your clocks back to stock and making sure MSIAB and/or CCC doesn't load *before* you go from 2 screens down to 1?

Well, I got about 40 minutes into Fallout 4 exploring on 15.7.1 (clean compass, yay) and it crashed with a black screen. Sure enough after I restart I load up GPUZ and my 15.7.1 has been overwritten by Windows again! There is a new entry under C:\AMD that Windows makes every time it goes and fetches a WHQL driver.

I'm seriously at a loss here. Strongly considering returning my 290 for about $200 and going back to my 280 that works flawlessly, saving the extra money for an updated mid 2016 AMD card. Who knows................

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ try deleting C:\AMD folder and the (WU) SoftwareDistribution folder under C:\Windows.

I think you're still getting the issue as the driver update is already downloaded to your system. GPE prevents driver downloads but I suppose it doesn't prevent driver installs.
    DDU doesn't remove data from SoftwareDistribution as it's in different format.

Also re-check GPE to make sure your setting changes have stuck and not reverted.
    You may have to re-enable them after certain Windows updates.

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Nah, don't think that's it. I've been deleting both of those for the last 3 or 4 days before and after I do anything with DDU or new drivers. Here is a screenshot showing my last 12 hours of being on my computer. Keep in mind this is AFTER doing eeeeeeeeeeeeverything stated above and on the last page to keep Windows from overwriting my drivers.

[​IMG]

It just keeps getting them every few hours even when I'm in the middle of a game or HD video.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
  19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Okay, so now I've done the GPE thing for WU to disable it completely. Restarted so it would take effect, same thing. I get 15.7.1 all setup the way I want it and within an hour Windows overwrites it. After that I used the tool that lets you hide updates.............and it only showed 4 updates that have to do with Intel Xeons and Z97 IME. Whether the AMD driver is manually wiped out before using the tool or after it has been installed by Windows it won't show up in that list.

I also double checked all of my previous GPE changes to make sure they stuck, and they did. Not sure what else in the world can be done. Even after all of these changes the WU page now greys out most options and says "some settings are managed by your organization" yet it still just grabs the update and forces it to install!

EDIT - Here is what I am trying to see if it will block the driver install from Windows based on my GPU Hardware ID. Will report back after work in 12 hours or so.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ ok, the device ID specific way should be a sure thing. Should.

For curiosity I checked my system for the registry value given as the last resort and it was set to 0 readily indeed.
    I haven't changed it myself so something else has, check to see whether it is set to 1 for you atm.

Though I've understood GPE is the most powerful tool and often works when registry hacks don't.