GTA V seems to now be a stuttery mess for me with Crimson driver and crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TonyTurbo, Dec 17, 2015.

1. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    Was not doing this before, every 5 seconds the game stutters, almost completely hitches then bounces back into life again. Was never like this before Crimson, was beautiful experience with crossfire in the past, I'm getting so pee'ed off with the crossfire experience now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Are you using FreeSync?

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I am.

Its always been a bit stuttery for me in Xfire, its best on a single card, smooth as a babys in single, and thats on all drivers, never used Crimsons due to the clock bouncing.

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    GTA V?

Turn off all advanced graphic settings in-game and try again.

It "smells" me DX11 API overhead bottleneck seeing your GPUs usages.

Edit: Additionally can you post a pic of your committed ram while playing this game?

16 GB VRAM (2x8 GB) for a 16 GB system RAM....uffffff

5. jmcc

jmcc Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12GB
    The amount of VRAM is not added up when you use multi GPUs (CrossFire or even SLI). So in his case is 8GB of VRAM as far as I know

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Who said ii?

I'm speaking about committed bytes while in cfx.

Try it and see it yourself.

:)

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Commit charge (virtual address space) usage is increased.

8. drwire

drwire Guest

try this..

• Fix #8b: Backtrack to the Rockstar Games\GTA V folder and delete the file named settings.xml.

Source:
    vvv.reddit.com/r/HalfOfAKebab/comments/3qbtm2/better_than_rockstar_support/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Now i think you were right and i was wrong yesterday when you asked about committ charge and whole GPUs VRAM size to be committed as a whole.

This GTA V "revisited" thread remember me the strange number in VRAM usage showed in in-game graphic settings.

This number is actually the amount of needed RAM to be comitted to "cache" GPUs VRAM (sum in case of CFX/SLI), additional commits will be needed by the game and other processes/OS but this number now make sense.

As you thought the commit charge related to VRAM sum (in case of CFX/SLI) is related to graphic charge (from selected graphic settings) and not total amount of it as GTA V in game number show is current/max numbers.

A 390(X) CFX should have something like xxxxxx/16384 as numbers.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Let me explain it better:

In DX11 CFX/SLI (DX12 promise different...a VRAM "pool") each VRAM "block" in separate GPUs are related to the image that this GPU is actually rendering, it could be a different frame or a different part of the same frame depending in the multicard mode used (AFR or others).

In both cases the VRAM content is not exactly the same so the game process can't manage this VRAM "block" as it does with single GPU it must treat each GPU VRAM block separately so the added RAM load to be committed.

I could be plain wrong but AFAIK is what we are seeing from committ load increase more or less closely in relation to additional GPU VRAM amount added to CFX tri- fire ect...

My rig needs 16.5 GB committed while playing GTA V in CFX mode with my 2x 290X 4 GB VRAM GPUs.

In single mode it falls to around 12 GB.

Tri fire users increase to 20 GB.

COD BO3 i see around 24-27, other users with same GPU in tri-fire around 30 GB.

11. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    sorry guys been busy tonight. What do you need me to look at Sammarbella, not sure I understand what you mean about commited RAM.

12. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    yes i am

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I'm away from home hopefully i have imgur pics...:

While playing GTA V do ALT-TAB and take pic of Commit bytes (value committed XXXX/XXXXX) Task manager >performance> memory.

Open this tab before launching the game and it will be easy to get to it fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  14. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    Ok, thx for that, will post up some pics in the morning.

15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Try disabling Vsync. Ever since Crimson Vsync and FreeSync seem to conflict with each other in some games.

I only noticed this with the Valley Benchmark and Anno 2055. My core clock keeps running at the maximum speed, but my GPU usage drops down alot. In Valley i get only 22 FPS in spots where i normally would get 84 FPS and in Anno 2205 i only get 17 FPS in spot where i normally would get 50+ FPS. Disabling Vsync fixes this.

Not sure if GTA V suffers from the same problem. Could be something else that's causing your problem.

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Please post also a pic of your game in this settings page:

[​IMG]

It could be interesting to see the relation of this value and committed bytes by GTAV.exe in resource monitor and total committed bytes in memory tab-perfromance manager-task manager.

17. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Sammarbella, you do realize that there is absolutely no reason to disable the pagefile? I noticed that windows 10 doesn't use the pagefile, until the amount of commited memory reaches 14 - 15 GB. However, it's a good idea to set the beginsize to 16 MB (lowest possible) or else windows will automatically create a pagefile.sys that is 9 GB in size. :p

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I know.

I only disable it because it's the faster way to know that i run out of REAL RAM.

Understand it as a lazy man resource.

:D

19. jono24776

jono24776 Member

GPU:
    6900 XT
    I have to alt tab/alt Enter a few times to fix the stutter then it tends to run butter smooth (with 290x crossfire + freesync 1440p) who knows why but it seems to fix the stutter

20. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    I never use Vsync with my freesync panel, always off for every game.