VSR - Any Way to Hack 144Hz?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Ho3n3r, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    I had an Nvidia GTX 970 before, where I ran 2880 x 1620 on DSR @144Hz with no problems. I used to love my 280X I had when I used it on my 60Hz monitor.

Yesterday I got an MSI 290X Lightning, and I cannot run any VSR resolutions on 144Hz - All are 120Hz and lower, most are 60Hz actually.

Considering the 970 and 290X are pretty equally matched in terms of processing power, I am really disappointed in this realisation. I thought going back to AMD would be a forward step, but now I am really disappointed. I don't like the way jaggies are processed with AA, I loved the natural way they look with DSR(VSR).

So I would like to know if anyone here has found a way to hack 144Hz in VSR somehow?

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Ho3n3r, I'm really guessing at this point (never had >60hz lsd's) ...but did you tried the manual way to adjusting ref rate? I mean "hex'in" via creating custom res's. Cause I guess "dal" method wouldn't allow to add 144hz? Or am I wrong?

3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    Thanks for the reply. I am actually reading this post of yours, as we speak - > http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404125 - very interesting, I am hoping maybe it will help me too.

Maybe there is something lost in translation though? Because I am not exactly sure what you mean by the above reply. "Dal" method, what does that refer to?

4. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Post #2 ...down below. "EASY MODE (with VSR increased limit)"

5. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    Oh, right. I'm still reading the first section, that's why I'm not with you yet.

Great post, I will go through it in detail, because I cannot believe that this is not possible, and if it stays this way, it's a major balls-up on AMD's part as I have been singing their praises to everybody lately.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Using Dal you should be able to add 144.

The last 4 00's are refresh rate.

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    Thanks, will do. :)

Any chance of this causing damage to my GPU or something?

And do I only need to do Part II, or Part I and then Part II?

8. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Just try "dal" method first. It should work fine with standard timings and pixel clocks. If you wanna do more custom on that - use manual.

And ofc, your AMD gpu will burn down alongside with your neighborhood. A lot of people may or may not die (they will die acctually) ...

PS. AMD interview about gpus burn down while using latest Crimson drivers

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No :D

10. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Don't lie to him...he deserves the truth! We all here in this Catalyst driver forum section working slaves for AMD. They kidnapped us! We live in the corporate AMD basement and they occasionally let us write something in the comment section...we barely eating! I have not seen a female species over 10 years! And for telling the truth just this once they definitely will give me like 20 lashes...

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If Dal won't burn it, something else will...

12. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    So, good news and bad news.

The good news: I have successfully added the resolution I want, with the Hz - the exact same settings I used with DSR on Nvidia with this monitor, and I am able to select these settings in the game's config screen.

The bad news: game goes in, but screen remains totally black. I can hear the menu sounds when I move the mouse over certain elements, but I can't see it at all.

I can go to task manager to kill it, so not the end of the world, but it would still have been nice to use it. :(

I guess this GPU isn't that good after all?

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Downsampling on AMD hardware is a bit... Limited.

14. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    Good to know, thanks. I have made a post on AMD forums' VSR thread, but going on evidence here, it won't be updated anytime soon.

15. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I used to be able to use 144 hz with downsampling with old drivers, can't get it working.

Scaler bs limit apparently, the software downsampling work around had no such problem.

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Good luck with that. :)

17. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    My naivety shines through, eh?

I was hoping the 15.12 Crimson driver might have it, but no such luck. Kinda regretting selling my 970 for this crap now... and it's using more power.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    No, no.

Everything is possible in relation to AMD.

A strong faith make some ppl around believe AMD drivers and support are perfect.

I don't have such faith and i guess it's the same for you reading your last comment.

Ppl with faith say it helps...

:(

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  19. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    Yeah. I've gone back to my previous GPU, running DSR 2880x1620 @144Hz without a hitch again.

I like the basic functionality of AMD more than Nvidia, but BS like this, the difficulty to get 3D working for a few games, never mind most games, etc., is really illuminating their shortcomings.

Thank you Nvidia, and bye bye AMD. Don't have time to wait years until they catch a wake-up, unfortunately. No reply even to my thread on AMD forums yet.

20. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    hi
    plz admin of this site guys (theoneofgod A2Razor sammarbella..) make kind of request petition or so !? to amd official using the admin rights xD + for amdmatt guy but with insistence this time
    and made kind of vote of people requests to give to amd :
    1- 2- 3- ....
    i know that they start changing considering market share and nvidia +game developers ignore amd about low performance tessellation low fps draw calls
    the last thing nvidia challenge them about gameworks (witcher3 case) so they start changing
    and move their lazy a** but !

we need those in emergency :

1 dynamic vsync
    2 triple buffer dx
    3 a properly working fps limit and power limit esspecially in video max frequency + in games alot of down clock
    4 (bug fixes black screen blue screen etc memory +volt problems hardware acceleration problems etc.. stability the basics for any user)

those they have no excuse about them cause radeon pro japamd already do them by himself

those are optional and advanced supposed easy for amd "advanced micro devices take 10 years :)"

1 dynamic tessellation like nvidia to down quality when needed
    2 maybe smaa type filter or mlaa types no blur one very important
    3 color profile preset like dynamic -games etc for games + improve vsr
    4 of course corssfire profiles and shadaw play like experience
    but put in your mind that they dont do all things for now market strategies
    sorry for my very bad english :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016