Star Citizen - Alpha 2.0 Now Available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2015.

1. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    If you take into account everything, the game has actually only been in real development for aboot 2.5 years. So its not all hades & apocalypse as SC haters will try to make us believe.

Hmm, why not give the 2.0 Alpha a try? You're a backer. Try getting back into it. 2.0 has some nice things going for it. And you have a WARTHOG so... why not? I was planning on getting WARTHOG but the stick has no twisty Z axis and I'm a double amputee so using rudder pedals isn't exactly... ideal.... if you know what I mean?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I have an X-55 (which I am already using for Elite) as well and I think I will set it up on the X-55 this time as the Warthog is now on a rig that I put together solely for DCS and Falcon 4.0 BMS.

I will give it another try over the holidays and report back.

3. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I wanted to try the X55 RHINO. Maybe I'll order one from teh AMAZON and see if I like it better than my X52 Pro. I know it has more buttons which will be welcome but both ELITE and Star Citizen bases most of its ship's sticks and throttles on the X52.

I'm just happy I got the X52 Pro and not the normal version (which I hear has TONS of problems, especially since MadCatz bought out Saitek).

*sigh*

4. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC
    Hah. Hilbert, I can sense the skepticism... We know you are just posting this so that RSI sees it and cuts you in on one of those $15,000.00 sellout sam packages. Haha I joke.

As for me personally, gaming enjoyment and making some company millions are 2 different things.

That being said today's generation of brainwashed consumers have been incrementally conditioned to accept the sell out and revenue generation part of what has now been turned into an industry, even to go as far as insulting anyone for criticizing it.

Here's a prime example of the marketing vultures dissecting gaming (Affectionately referred to as THE GAMING INDUSTRY) to identify marketing demographics and target them for even more money... http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

Source: The NPD Group/Games Market Dynamics: U.S.

TOTAL CONSUMER SPEND ON GAMES INDUSTRY 2014: $22.41 BILLION

THE BOTTOM LINE

“If it weren’t for video game enthusiasts and the absolute commercial need to
    keep them happy with ever-better graphics requiring ever-higher processor
    speeds, complex computer graphics would still be found only in the high-priced
    domains of the business and science world.”
    — Ralph Baer, inventor of the Brown Box and pioneer of
    the home video game console

Indeed the attitude of "nobody does anything in this world any more if not for money" is all too embraced in our culture.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm not sure why the gaming industry should be singled out over any other for profit venture that uses the exact same marketing tactics. This has been true since the days of Atari in the early 70's.

6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    The X52 Pro is fantastic (still have one lying around somewhere).

You can never have enough buttons (Yes, I'm looking at you DCS ;) ), so the X55 is a small upgrade on the X52 Pro.

7. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC
    Not them.. US for letting them get away with it in gaming, as with the rest of our society. I remember a wise parent one day saying "2 wrong's don't equal 1 right".
    Funny you mention the old consoles though, was just in the process of adding this quote to what you read.

“If it weren’t for video game enthusiasts and the absolute commercial need to
    keep them happy with ever-better graphics requiring ever-higher processor
    speeds, complex computer graphics would still be found only in the high-priced
    domains of the business and science world.”
    — Ralph Baer, inventor of the Brown Box and pioneer of
    the home video game console

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I still don't get your point of why you believe the gaming industry should be any different than any other for profit industry whether it is cars, or frozen dinners. They exist since their invention to make a profit. As for Mr. Baer, who doesn't recognize the symbiotic relationship between games and advances in technology?

9. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC
    Let me answer that by asking you a hypothetical question, since that is all it would have been to Mr. Baer a the time he made that quote.

If an "entrepreneur" found a way to harvest the sun's light in a way that it would block it from the earth and require "consumers" to pay for it, would you simply see this as another form of Capitalism working correctly and accept it?
    Its being done with water in some parts of the world already... would this precedence make it right?

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How is your analogy even comparable to video game marketing? How is Chris Roberts preventing the rest of the world from having a source of power, or water to drink?

11. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC
    In one word. MONEY

As for food and water being needed to live you could say that so are medications which are withheld from patients without it...

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No, that's stupid. I use a knife to cut food, but I can also use it to cut someone's head off. Knife is used in both, but it's not the same thing. Neither is your bad analogy.

And I agree with that. But the marketing of a game, or a new GPU, or anything isn't keeping you from dying, or having food or water. They are completely different things and comparing them is dumb.

13. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC
    Tell that one to the Gun Control Lobbyists.
    :biggun:

14. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Stop spamming your crap please.

Thanks.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Whatever, this is has gone so far off-topic.

I'm glad SC is starting to take shape. Hopefully the game comes out and meets the majority's expectations. The graphics look pretty cool from what I've seen. I think I prefer Valkyrie's gameplay more though as it suits my unrealistic arcade tastes.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What precedent? Secondarily, that quote by Baer isn't a hypothetical. It's an observation. But just for giggles: 'If an "entrepreneur" found a way to harvest the sun's light in a way that it would block it from the earth and require "consumers" to pay for it', you mean like solar power for example?

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm not sure why it seems like every thread about SC seems to devolve into some form of complaints about funding or profits. On topic for the game...I'm kinda an OG Tie Fighter or Fallout 3 or similar. Most of the fantasy or fantasy influenced genre do not interest me at all. While Witcher 3 looks fantastic, I just can't get into it enough to enjoy it. I'm just going to wait a bit and see how this pans out.

18. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Its been in development for only 3 years. I'd love for you to name a single new MMO that was finished in that much time.

19. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    No, they took hundreds of millions of dollars from stock market investors. Whats the difference?

I do 'own' it, it's a joke, and the only reason that there is any movement now is because CR was called out.

Care to be specific, or are you going to just parrot Derek Smart? You know, the loud mouth a-hole with a chip on his shoulder who continually is proven wrong every time he makes some grand clam?

20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    [​IMG]