Star Wars Battlefront Real Life Mod - 4K 60FPS With SweetFX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Game where you shoot from heap and practically always hit the target is 100% arcade game, imo.

3. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I love the game, but not at first, it took me some time before I got used to it.

I tried this mod yesterday and gotta say, it does nothing special it sharpens the image slightly and adds LOTS of saturation, nothing else, I honestly like the vanilla better. I don't get where is all the hype about it coming from. My 10 bit monitor has already super vivid colors.

4. EA can be quite the douche sometimes. But I got to hand it to them that the Frostbite Engine is a marvel, and living proof that most engines used in other 'graphically demanding' games really just run like arse.

Game studios need to get their **** together and bail from the Gamewrecks bandwagon. All it is just an excuse for horrible optimization, playing in favor of consoles and misleading people into buying more expensive PC hardware that they don't actually need.

You might not like Battlefront, but at the very least recognize that the Frostbite Engine is one of the last standing pillars in mainstream gaming that brings out the value of your PC investment.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Give me a break. I'll agree with you that Frostbite is a good engine, but how is it it any different than Gameworks? Witcher 3 runs fine maxed out on my 980 @ QHD. It's playable. Yes there is an FPS drop on AMD hardware -- but how is that any different then there being an FPS drop in Battlefront 3? The 980Ti performs like 10-15% worse than a Fury X in BF3 compared to any other title. How come when AMD cards get a performance hit it's due to "unoptimization" but when Nvidia cards do it's "the way it's supposed to be".

The bottom line is that most Gameworks features implement geometry based effects and most AMD sponsored games implement shader heavy workloads. Nvidia has worse shader performance, AMD has worse geometry performance. It has nothing to do with unoptimization and more to do with the companies playing to their own strengths.

6. Its not about AMD vs Nvidia performance, but rather the performance of the game in general. The Frostbite Engine just runs really efficiently on PC, while most other games run on PC like its an unwanted step child. Talk about near 100% scaling in Crossfire/SLI...

There are also Nvidia affiliated titles that run exceptionally well on PC like Shadow of Mordor. My main gripe is about how the majority of developers simply refuse to optimize for PC. Anyone can say that the 'game runs fine for me' of course if you brute force it with a really powerful card. The recent AC and Batman train wrecks among others that run like arse regardless of GPU vendor, all have that Gameworks sticker on them.

So do you have a better suggestion of who I should point the finger at?

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The forest environments look excellent! I don't know how it compares to the vanilla game, so can't comment on that. I don't have this game yet, probably won't get it - Titanfall is my multiplayer game I play, and I'll just intersperse that with a few single player titles.

8. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Playable? As in you can psychically play the game?

That's about all. Frame Rate is subjective man. I wouldn't touch your setup to game on as it cant maintain 60 at all times @ QHD resolution.

Then there are 144Hz Gsync Gamers (I am one) who now feel even 60fps is not enough. Sub 60fps hasn't ever been acceptable to me and many gamers. Especially the ones from the 3Dfx era.

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    ah... 3dfx... how I loved my obsidian X-24...

anyways, does this game include single player mode?
    I don't play online, bad internet connection for FPS or almost anything for that matter...

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This looks great. There is no aliasing at all due to downsampling from 4k to 1080p and quite good lighting.
    Only thing I miss in video description is HW it is running on.

11. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Bought game, ran this mod at 4k/60fps, agree looks unreal, uninstalled and got refund.

Thanks. Terrible game but looks good.

12. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    sweetfx in a nutshell :p

game already looks great! sharpening adds a nice, albeit slight, enhancement of the perception of depth imo

nice necropost btw