Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was reading on MDL, that apparently the whole "previous license is consumed in the upgrade" was mis-information spread by a MS rep from that useless microsoft answers forum, and is untrue

I had 10 installed for way longer than 30 days, and my 8.1 license still activated fine when I reinstalled 8.1 - but on the other hand, this is a TechNet 8.1 key, and they have a multiple machine / activation license

With TH2, you can use your 7/8.x key for installation and activation without upgrading now too, so dual booting could be tested that way without losing the 7 install

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ oh yeah that's right, forgot about the fact TH2 changed the activation process.

In other words jonerkinsella you could download the Media Creation Tool (link on the first page of this thread) and create an installation media for Win 10 with it.

Then use the media for clean installing Win 10 while keeping your current Win 7 installation.

As for the license consumption, I'm assuming the upgrade to Win 10 becomes permanent at some point.
    Meaning you can't have a dual boot system without buying another key but that you can re-install your old OS if you like.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yup, exactly :)

4. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    Hmm. Maybe I should just buy a 10 key then when I need it and stick with 7 for now.

or...

Buy a 7 key nice and cheap and upgrade my 7 ,that might actually be a better idea.

Thanks for the advice lads.

pps.

I can get a Win7 Ultimate key for €20 . I have a new 480gb ssd on the way. Do you guys think that his setup will be ok,

Win 7 on my 128gb ssd ,
    Win 10 on my 256ssd ,

Both operating systems sharing access to my 480gb ssd wich will house my games folders ?

I also have a 1tb hdd that I use for storing movies etc.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yea why not, seems legit to me.

The Win 7 key for 20 € is a no-brainer really, go for it! Then you could keep your current install as is and install new Win 7 Ultimate to create a dual boot system.
    Then upgrade the Ultimate to W10. I'd assume that'd be the most convenient way plus upgrading a clean install is essentially clean installing W10. Well, almost ;)

Plus W7 Ultimate upgrades to W10 Pro so you'd get the better Pro version of W10 too, which includes Group Policy Editor etc.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  6. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    Do you think there might be an issue by having the same hardware registered to two completely different os's ?.

Thanks.

7. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Hey hey, just wanted to post a new finding this concerns the at least the ASUS Z170 motherboards. I just recently upgraded to a skylake and Z170 etc, anyhow, my steelseries Apex keyboard which worked fine until the upgrades.

This may or may not be a win 10 issue, but can't be sure as I am not about to install win 8 just to find out.

Here is the issue my Apex has a built in USB hub, which runs through the the keyboards USB cable. I thought it was everything but this as I do not use the keyboard usb hub at all, it just always auto installs.

Anyhow, when gaming, sometimes would happen almost instantly to taking a few minutes, but the keyboard lights would just start flashing and the keyboard would not lock up. I would have to unplug and re plug it in, needless to say you cannot game this way.

I thought it was my Win 10 install, to my new overclocking the new system. Did a whole bunch of things over the last week.

Well it turns out the built in USB hub does not play nice with the Z170 motherboard and/or Windows 10.

Both my gaming keyboards exhibited this behavior. I dug out an old plane jane usb keyboard I really could not type on anymore, just not used to and it worked perfect.
    Today I made the connection while shopping for a new keyboard, my partner was ready to go out buy me one so I could game. I assumed it was a steelseries issue.

I am pretty sure it is not really a Windows 10 issue unless it is a driver issue, as my keyboards worked fine prior to the z170 upgrade

Anyhow just a FYI.

PS the moral of the story is I am too clever for my own good, as I was about to pick up a logitech 910 orion mechanical keyboard until I figured it out. :bang::bang::bang:

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    There shouldn't be any problems AFAIK. You're using two separate keys (licenses) anyway if you get the Win 7 Ultimate so they shouldn't "care" about each other.

Trying to dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 with the same license (and hardware) could be troublesome.

BTW if you're feeling adventurous, you could try upgrading your current Windows to Windows 10 first and try it out.
    The upgrade retains all your programs, files and settings up to the pinned taskbar shortcuts.

You can then revert (within 30 days) back to your old OS and everything should be back to pre-upgrade state.
    30 days meaning that's how long W10 stores the old installation information for reverting. Ofc you can go back to W7 even after that but then you need re-install W7.

9. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    I've tried 10 on my laptop and didn't think much of it. I know that you can get the Win7 interface for 10, but I'd rather keep two separate systems. I might just setup a new Win7 on my 240gb ssd (that I currently use for games ) and upgrade that to 10 and keep my current Win7 and everything intact. I will then use my new 480gb ssd for the games folders.

Win 10 should detect my current 7 install and set up the system for dual booting on setup..shouldn't it ?

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you install a dualboot 7 (2 x Win 7), and the dualboot is working fine when you upgrade one of them to 10, then yes, it should keep the dualboot and give you 7 & 10

11. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    Thanks again lads :)

12. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Windows just updated and C:\ has appeared back in the sidebar :)

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Really? Off to check...

edit: nothing apart from Windows Defender def update found, maybe later.

Which build are you on? Mine is 10586.29.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nothing for me since patch tuesday. Maybe it will come later.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:

16. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Same build.

[​IMG]

17. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU: