AMD: Patent infringement on R9 Fury Cooler not determined

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Quote: "Strictly speaking, this assumption is right. Asetek however feels that they are right and have expanded the patent case and will include the cooler and Fury X into the case."

ASETEC: "There was no infringement? Well, lets make one!"

Bad Asetec. Bad. While I applaud their right to protect their patents, this one is below the belt.

And anyway, they weren't so many Fury X sold.

/jk :p

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Maybe they are highlighting AMD as they are well known and want to show how there patent is still being used without consent. but as FuryX is not a high volume product with a relatively small amount being sold There problem is the AMD Fan boy will release their wrath against ASETEC and it will be brutal (ask any NVidia user)

ASETEC need to be careful other wise they will be branded as a patent troll just like apple. I believe ASETEC have a real right to protect there product and designs but they should go after the producer of copied Tec and stop them producing the product or pay a license fee. I believe highlighting AMD is to put pressure on the producer/copier of there Tec

4. guskline

guskline Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 FE EK block
    Asetek probably had to issue a Cease and Desist letter to protect their claim.

I read the Asetek v CM opinion and it was fascinating.

As far as the AMD press release response to Asetek's claim, they are correct that the jury did not rule on the Fury X cooler. However, that was most likely due to the fact that at the time of the ruling the Fury X had not yet been released. The decision did allow Asetek to proceed against similar type infringing pumps in the future.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015

5. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    They already won their case versus Cooler Master. AMD is no different from an average consumer here in that they paid for custom coolers to slap on their product. Sending them a S&D is equivalent to sending you or I one if we were using an infringing cooler on our CPUs. They already got AMD's money from the percentage they earned in the settlement. Any further action harms an innocent 3rd party, which can't be forced by law. I personally found this out the hard way recovering a guitar that was stolen from me and sold to a local pawn shop. With proof in hand that it was mine, the police informed me that I can get it back for what they gave the thief ($50) for it as opposed to their way marked up price ($400+). The pawn shop isn't forced to eat the loss.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Only nV users who are to be questioned here are those owning (or considering purchase of) WaterForce GTX 980 with CLC from ... Guess who.

Try not to take those inflammatory 'fanboy' comments out of your back pocket as they shine very bad light on you.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti

Can we please not turn every thread regarding AMD or Nvidia into a flamefest?

Seriously guys, pretty much every warning or infraction I have given recently was due to topics regarding AMD or Nvidia!

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You are right. I try hard not to react to many posts. I wanted to point out that both AMD and nVidia are in same boat here. And I see no reason for anyone to start fight just because title of thread mentions only one side.

I wish for CLC to become standard for high end cards. And I hope that cards with CLC are available at start of production or very soon after. Smaller, cooler, quieter. And higher variability in PC case shape.

9. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    These trolls already drove Swifttech AIO coolers out of the US.

10. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    And what makes anybody think that Cooler Master didn't see this as an opportunity to dump all their offending units on AMD and even if they did it's certainly not AMD's fault it's Cooler Masters for thinking they could get away with it

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Can't we have an Nvidia vs AMD forum in the videocard section for those who love to argue? XD

12. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Yep, and make the section/thread into a paid subscription only. http://tinyurl.com/7zxukfx

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    With advertising revenue down, why not?

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Who could forget Rambus?...;) They infiltrated JEDEC, walked off with the standards, then turned around and patented them--which shows what's wrong with the patent system. And then sued everyone for everything...;) If it had not been for Intel's initial billion-dollar investment in RAMBUS they'd never have gotten off the ground. Never made anything--just tried to horn in on what everyone else was making. They are still around AFAIK, and actually collecting royalties from a few companies that figured it would be cheaper to pay than to fight. Sad commentary.