Downsampling with AMD Crimson: Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Nov 25, 2015.

1. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    the max i can get is 3408x2130, they put such virtual limitation to push us to make some useless upgrades.

2. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    So even on HDMI and DP, the Max via editing the regedit value is still 3408x2140. That's still a little better than 3200x1800 I guess.

Why has there been no petition to force AMD to enable 4K on the Hawaii line, especially the upper echelon. If the 290x can't do 4k then I'm sure the 390x doesn't have it either. Is this the case??

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    correct.

according to AMD its a hardware scaler thing.

only Tonga/Antigua/Fury have the necessary scaler for 4K.

That having been said, some people managed to hack the registry to force 4K on other cards before they locked it down in the drivers.

They most likely had a secondary software solution that was never fully implemented.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If people were able to use modded drivers to unlock UHD VSR resolution then it can't be a hardware scaler limitation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i can only say what AMD has stated.

6. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    all gpu should be able to produce 4K through VSR even the entry level gpus should be able to run 4k 30fps.
    But AMD isn't able to create new features on new generations, so the only way to value the new product, is to put virtual limits to the old one.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Point 1: This is false and was proved as is even by... The Mac.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5040390&postcount=16

There he said he was able to have 4K in his 290 and decided to move back to the official driver who has the official artificial limits up to 1800p in GCN 1.1 and label it "phase 1"

I'm sure the artificially lowered VSR res is more...

..."original".

ROFL.

Please read point 1.

VSR artificially limited performance across different GPU models is not a genuine AMD invention.

Artificially locked hardware performance and features across a brand models line is a proven trend in many hardware brands.

It's widely used in cameras and handled video recording related hardware where a modified firmware enable some or all artificially locked hardware features in a model whom are present in a "superior hardware" model where the unlocked hardware features are available without the need of unlocking tricks when you buy them.

Point 2: It's simply impossible to enable an nonexistent hardware by software tricks if this hardware was not previously present and artificially limited.

Hardware and hardware only features never come from thin air.

Read point 2.

:giggle2:

Upsssss!

Take care!

You just said the truth!

they locked it down in the drivers.

Another nice quote.

Read point 1 and point 2.

I must be a Master hacker.

I "hacked" 4 additional resolution for my GPUs simple adding the resolutions to the registry:

[​IMG]

I can call it "Master hacked AMD hardware scaler BS Phase 2" cause MHAHSB Phase 1 was modded drivers but i only name it as "not yet perfectly artificially locked VSR feature by drivers".

After my breakfast i will "hack" some more res just for the fun.

There is so much space for hack between 3200x1800 and 3360x1890.

I'm barely able to do a bat command file but it seems i'm a Master "Software Scaler" Hacker.

Hear Anonymous there is no need to join 1000 hackers to do it.

This is the next "software" scaler Master Hack:

32 16 18 09 00 00 00 60

LOL

You said way more than any educated, polite and prudent AMD PR can say.

They can sometimes twist the truth and be rarely caught in technically incorrect descriptions of features but they never say plain lies.

Point 3: You used insults in this and others forums to people asking for VSR to be implemented as it should be (without artificial limits) until your "hardware scaler" theory was proved false by modded drivers and even by yourself then you added me to your ignore list (my posts are showed as "holes" in your threads view) to avoid the truth and come back to locked drivers to avoid the full feature completely (an "hole" in features too :D ).

It's always funny when someone say something that can be proved false simply using his own quoted words.

Abraham Lincoln

8. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Well damn.

9. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Who cares for "hardware scaler" thing. They just feeding us bs like the all corporate representative will do...

If I can go up to 7680 × 4320 (8k) with my r9 280x with "software scaler" like gedosato why limit this via driver? I mean, "hw" scaler lolwhut?! :D You (AMD) can shove it...just unlock "sw" via driver fo us. And leave your excuses to your granny. Meh...

10. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    So my question now is ; how can we get AMD to unlock 4k for us? It's getting ridiculous to the point that a 570 can do 4k and for a few years now whilst a wayy more powerful 290x is limited.

What's the best way to bring attention to this? I'm surprised AMD users have put up with this lacklustre aupport all this time.

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    the answer ot your quesiton is buy a tonga/antigua/fury.

lol

i could care less honestly, my 290 can bare max everything out at 1080p, why should i give a damn about 4k?

12. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    because some bad ported games have terrible antialiasing and some games like project cars are "high res friendly".
    But that's not the point, you bought a product, so you should be free to use it at it's max capacity ;)

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    that functionality was never sold as a feature of the card.

VSR is a freebie, and new packaging clearly states maximum resos of each model.

You want something they dont, and never have offered.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Starting from the end of your post, it seems you didn't read a few thread about the subject like this three representative examples (there re many more) this subject was WIDELY discussed in here:

Enable VSR on all GCN cards and enable 4k with 290/x with 15.3 Drivers Guide

March 25th 2015.

AMD Catalyst 15.x Win Mod (15.200.1036 May 22) with VSR unlocked

AMD Catalyst 15.x Win Mod (15.200.1023.3 May 14) with VSR unlocked [v4]

AMD Catalyst (15.200.1012.2 March 11) Win 8.1 Mod - VSR for HD7/R7/R9 & FPS limiter

Right from this last one i can quote this text right from the OP:

As for the utility of our protest or rant in here i must give credit for what The Mac said once:

"Who cares about what a bunch of dudes say in an unknow and obscure forum?"

I didn't found the exact quote right from him but this is the basic message.

I will try to found it to be 100% correct.

15. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    it's like smartphones companies, they sell their product with a given version of android, and they keep it up to date even if it's not stated on packaging until the product start to struggle because of true hardware limitation.
    But AMD just try to virtually limit the products that are still "new" to push people to do useless upgrades.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Come on dude... Like the VSR that 5k and 6k cards had with just the flip of a switch with 14.12, that was disabled later?

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMD can only fool the last(?) "batch" of customers like the "new" series 300 owners about performance using artificial limit in his drivers.

Last AMD "success" using this sales tactic was the only series 300 drivers who showed the "new" 390(X) as a more powerful hardware than "old" 290(X) using optimization only for this labeled GPUs....

...until someone modded this "only 300" drivers to be used for all GCN 1.1 GPUs (290(X) AND 390(X)) and using the same core and mem timings they performed EXACTLY THE SAME.

The following unified drivers show the reality once again: All GCN 1.1 in equal conditions performs equal.

Nothing strange cause they are the same hardware.

At this point the trick seems to worth for AMD who recovered a mere 0.8% of the dedicated GPU market in this quarter of the 10% it lost during last year in benefit of Nvidia.

The people who stay long enough as an AMD customers see this pattern repeats over and over again:

MSAA, VSR, series 300 new hardware been a simple rebrand.

AMD with only 18% of this market and Nvidia at 82% there is not much more opportunities to fool people around.

Maybe it's time to give something better and real(this time) to don't be ERASED of this market by CUSTOMERS.

18. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    i approve this message :thumbup:

19. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    FYI I did, and I used most of those drivers.

It seems to me that some are happy hacking away at drivers and the registry to get a feature that has been available on the competitor's side for over three years (fully unlocked mind you on much lower specced cards)

Well I'm not happy with that. I don't want to hack the registry and don't want to use MODDED drivers if I don't have to.

'AMD shouldn't care what a bunch of forums users say' - Really? With that attitude I'm surprised we get any features at all.

Downsampling has immense advantages when playing old games that either have **** AA or none at all. Especially if your card can handle it. Its almost a bloody standard now(look at Gedosato) and yet because it wasn't advertised with my card - I should just be happy with a half-assed implementation with a bull**** reason to get me to upgrade.

Na son.

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I use GeDoSaTo a lot and i would like to see something like that in AMD drivers but i know they don't care about that as you saw it if you read those old threads.

The point of modded drivers is to see a fraction of what we can get if AMD was not more interested in locking features to his current customers in favor of new ones than in adding features for everybody GPUs.

Nvidia is still selling GPUs like hot cakes having his downsampling solution up to 4K avalaible in 35 GPUs.

New hardware will always attract new and old customers because they are more powerful and everybody wants more performance at some point but the AMD decisions to f*** his own customers is not a good PR tactics in the long run.

Sadly our ranting or posts in here didn't make a difference at all in the grand scheme of things related to AMD future (and current) strategie as facts proved.

I don't like it but that's the truth.

I would like to buy another AMD GPU when it's time to upgrade but as time pass i find very few reasons to stick with them.

Maybe when time arrive in more or less one year they can even be out of bussiness then cause the profit is the only reason to sell GPUs.

If there is no more sells than your competitior even when you use the sell cheaper than him tactics you can't stay on this forever.

This is not an NGO, there must be profit for your share holders.