AMD and Crossfire, false advertising now

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TonyTurbo, Dec 1, 2015.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I loved reading about the Amd cookies thanks bro, To be honest with you guys the last time I ran Crossfire I had a pair of Radeon 6970s so it has been a while- Now if I recall correctly almost all my games ran just fine with cf with the exception of only a handful that did not support it such as Fsx and a few other flight-sim based games anyway.....I did however have a problem I was never able to resolve,once I would launch a game my 2nd card would drop its fan profile to 20% or idol and I would crash within a few minutes of gameplay on account of heat,once I end the game the 2nd card would ramp-up to 90% fan-speed!It was really annoying to say the least!

Once I walked away from cf I started to enjoy my games alot more, I understand why so many people would say just get 1 high-end gpu and call it a day.I would still consider using it but.....If problems like this still persist I would perfer to single-gpu solution.

Scaling is another touchy subject for me! The best I have seen was AVP which tops-out around 80%-85% which is Awsome but other games not so much-Metro for example gets %50 cf/sli scaling that is still ok but come-on! If you buy a Turbo for your car do you want the xtra 200 Hp sometimes or all the time/wtf! You know?:)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Most games i've played over the last 12 months did work with CrossFire:
    - GTA V
    - Metal Gear Solid V
    - Mad Max
    - Anno 2205 (very cpu intensive, so maxing out both cards isn't always possible)
    - Witcher 3 (as long as i didn't max out both cards for to long)
    - Shadows of mordor (AFR friendly worked very well, except for the menu)
    - Far Cry 4 (perfect scaling with the bf4.exe profile. No problems what so ever)

Games that didn't have CrossFire support:
    - Wolfenstein the old blood (idtech5 doesn't like multi-GPU setups)
    - ACU
    - Fallout 4 (yeah, it's working with AFR friendly mode, but it's not working like it should)

I'm sure there are more games that didn't support CrossFire (arkham knight?:p), but i didn't play them. I think it is very annoying that some devolpers don't seem to care about multi-GPU systems. It's becoming a habit lately.

However, CrossFire is still worth it for me. There are enough games that i can play at much higher detail/4K because of CrossFire. If i have to wait for a working CrossFire profile, so be it. It's not like the games are going anywhere. I can pick them up whenever i like.

3. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    ^So crossfire is working well in MGSV? I thought the benchmarks showed single cards getting the same fps as dual card setups.

Also, does anyone know if Dying Light still has the issue with flickering in crossfire with screen splatter effects?

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Last time i played DL around 1 month ago i worked well.

5. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    MGSV was working incredibly well. I've played the game in 4K without any problems.

Dying light was one of the games i've also played and i did get the flickering splatter effects. It was a couple of months ago. Don't know if they fixed it. However, it seems that SLI users were also effected by this flickering. Just like many other games lately, dying light was one of those game that has CrossFire/SLI problem because of the devolpers.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Crossfire was working awesomely in Dying Light for me.
    To be honest, the only game I played that didnt have crossfire was ARK Survival. and Using the Dying light profile for it, gave me around 90% on each card with very very very little distant flickering.
    Personally I enjoy my R9 290 crossfire better then when I had 970 sli.
    I loved my 7950 crossfire more then my 670 sli.

Though I was playing on 7680x1080 res.

7. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Why do you prefer CrossFire over SLI? Just curious

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Was given away with single GPUs, as they don't have a new dualy yet, do you really think AMD are going to give away SWBF with their X2 Xfire card, only for it to have to run on only one of its cores due to not working with Xfire, i think not, but then again, it is AMD... :D

Only problems i have with DL in Xfire are, the sudden random plummet of frames to around 18 before going straight back up, and the flickering blood splatters, which also happens on SLi, as shown here (just before a minute on):-

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
  10. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    I am playing trough it right now, still the flickering. I am going to try forcing AFR, see if that makes a difference regarding flickering. But it would be a strange solution though.

EDIT: Performance is the same, 100% usage on both GPU's, and flickering is less. Strange that a 'generic' way is working better than a customized profile. I also noticed that all the infected stand still and look the at the sun going under... creapy:gape:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    One GPU is still rendering the splatters, while the other doesn't. The splatters staying on the screen way to long.

I didn't finish the game by the way. It was super ultra boring :p

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Better scaling in my experience.
    And stuttering is actually slightly less.
    Why I just bought a freesync monitor as well.
    And Windows 10 launch for sli users was a bugged out mess.

13. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    FreeSync is awesome, but the core clock of my two r9 290s is fluctuating alot if i enabled it. This can have a negative impact on performance. In some games it even makes the game unplayable.

What about the core clock of your r9 290s? Are they also fluctuating?

14. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    You.. what.. wait.. uh.. ULTRA BORING?! It is one of my favourite games of all time! I get the feeling lately that this is subjective and people can have different opinions about it..:confused:

Anyway, indeed it is still only being one gpu that renders the splatter. For either techland or AMD, this seems like an easy fix to me, but it still isnt fixed. Ah well, maybe it seems easier than it actually is.

15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Wait what? People can have different opinions? How is that even possible? :O

I just couldn't get into the game.

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I'm not a big fan of zombie games either so I'll pass on Dying Light, although it looks real nice graphically. I picked up MGSV since it was on sale and crossfire is working well. Only got into the open world portion; wow such introduction, much cinematics, lol. Don't know what the hell is going on but I am somewhat intrigued. Liked the David Bowie song in the beginning. Well thanks for the feedback gents.

17. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    The game will go down hill fast in chapter 2. Be prepared for that ;)

18. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti
    i will sell my second vga really soon, sli/cf are good only for bench and maybe some games, the cf support is not made to all games....waste of money to buy the second one...

19. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    It's kinda sad how much people are having problems with Crossfire and SLI nowadays. I really do hope developers will put more effort to multigpu area under DX12. Possible markets are atleast bigger.

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The only good thing I see about that is that eventually the big engines are going to implement a way to do that almost automatically. The people at Firaxis and the guys at Oxide have done really nice things with multigpu, but they are really the exception.