What Happened to Genuinely "New" Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scrapser, Dec 3, 2015.

1. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    The last game I purchased was Far Cry 4 last December. I must admit I have only managed to play it from the beginning for about 45 minutes at best. I think the last battle I engaged in was an attack by enemies on snowmobiles. Prior to that I purchased "Bioshock Infinite" in March 2013 and "Carrier Command: Gaea Mission" in September 2012 both of which I have played extensively by contrast.

Note that all of these games are either remakes or sequels. Far Cry 4 is essentially a super mod of Far Cry 3 when you examine it closely. Bioshock Infinite is a genuine sequel and Carrier Command is a true blue remake. But my main point is that none of these games are actual new games just like most of the titles that have been released in the past 5 years or so.

I'm not posting this as a sudden revelation that slipped past me all this time. I think I'm posting because as the years have gone by it's become a clear and valid statement that gaming has essentially gone totally flat in the creativity department. Why? Has game production become so expensive that new ideas are no longer worth the time to develop? What does that tell us about the future of this activity so many people enjoy all over the world?

2. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Time....

3. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3080 Master
    It's seen as risky to bring new intellectual property to the market, it's also seen as risky in some circles to mess with a selling formula.

That's why there's so many rehashes/remakes.

4. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Ohhh I totally agree with you.
    Playing the batman series from original to the latest knight game and there is a blatant devolution to new things like the developers have gone flat like bad chardonnay.
    Even the original metro 2033 outstanding game in dx9 with all settings max. Then reddux arrives and it's a rehash with worst graphics than predecessor.
    Witcher 3 same as witcher 2, far cry same, fallout etc etc.

I guess it's easier for the developers and marketing to decide on platform and base that works. Problem is it chews up and throws out same regurgitated crap over and over. For me games built 3-5 years ago is where it's at. Strictly pc and that's how I like it. Nowadays all console the rage and port over to pc with buggy crap.

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Games built 15-20 yrs is where its at. Consoles ruined PC gaming period. There are very few console to PC ports that are any good. Certain companies half A*s it. Its not that a new property is risky, why change the formula when kids are going to just blindly buy it.. Far Cry series, COD ,Halo ect.. Look at the Transformers movies.. They suck and yet people still go see them.. I just don't get it. When people put their foot down and demand more for their money, only then will it change. EA, Ubisoft ect.. Their moto is if the suckers are willing to pay for a BS season pass or DLC separately, why change it. Its a joke! The new battlefront is a travesty! $59 for the half a*sed game,then another $59 for the DLC.. Are you kidding me? Gaming is getting ruined! Big business will ruin gaming. Hey.. Lets have EA Sidney make a new C&C game and then shut the studio down when they are done with the game.. Is this really how you run a business? Its infuriating.. And there are sheep on here that actually defend this crap.. You can't make it up!

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Metro 2033 was DX11. But was hard to run back in 2010.
    The redux removed advanced dof and toned graphics down for some stupid
    reason to run a bit smother for the new consoles.

7. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Indeed but try running it with dx9 and everything max. It's unbelievable the detail(IQ) running it at dx9.
    Actually from what my eyes see, dx9 > dx11 as far as image quality is concerned. Supports what op is saying. Heck, even Microsoft has gone backwards with Windows.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  8. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Money.

Don't look for anything revolutionary in the AAA game world because no studio wants to invest 10's of millions on a new IP. They will stick with what works because it's still selling so don't blame developers, blame the gaming community. If people stopped buying these games then things would most likely change. I know you can scratch one tick on the wall for me since I will never purchase another Assassins Creed.

It's all media that does this. This is why for the next decade or or so the only movies that come out are going to be a Marvel, DC, or Star Wars sequel *unfurls index finger, expands mouth opening, motor skills initiated, index finger placed in back of throat, stomach withholdings withdrawn*

So on all fronts it is the people who are to blame for their complete passiveness to lack of originality because samey-samey makes us feel warm inside.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Stop buying buying sequels and remakes. Stop buying terrible ports. Stop buying DLC and pre-ordering.

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Well, when studio try something new, like Battlefront, they get spit at. So thank you for taking the risk, but nop.

Same paradox than Hollywood movie production, studio are risk averse and prefer big budget/reliable profit source than innovating project.

11. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I think a couple of points have been made that are at the heart of the matter. The first is the "formula" approach to the market which we clearly see in both gaming and movies. I think I could make a similar case for television all the way back to the late 50's. At one point there were something like 30 cowboy westerns on TV. Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Big Valley, Maverick, Have Gun will Travel, The Rifleman, Cimarron Strip, Rawhide, Wagon Train...etc. Sprinkled in to these shows were a lot of WW2 shows (12 o'clock High, The Rat Patrol, Combat, and so on).

From here TV evolved into a bunch of idiotic comedies like Gomer Pyle, McHale's Navy, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, F-Troop, Bewitched, It's About Time, Mr. Ed, My Favorite Martian, Mayberry RFD and so on. This slowly evolved into lots of cop shows and detective series by the early 70's at which point the Sitcom began to take over starting with "All in the Family". So I think the fact that companies follow trends and milk them for all they are worth is pretty solid.

The second point made is also equally valid but much more difficult to make happen. The only control we have is what we buy. But since there's a new crop of ignorant consumers coming on the scene every day, it's difficult to educate them in time before they throw away their money. They are like kids in a candy shop and want to try out as much of the new goodies as they can and cannot understand why anyone would want them to hold off a bit and make an educated decision. They might even get indignant about it.

Maybe this is all inevitable and at its core just the way things evolve over time. But I think it's somewhat weird that things like games, music and movies have all been condensed down to only a handful of genres to enjoy. There must be someway to stir the pot and get something fresh for a change. If not we are all destined to buy rehashed games with the odd "indie" game coming out once in a great while. Nobody wants this and yet it seems we are all powerless to stop it.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    There is nothing about the new Battlefront that is remotely new and you know it.

13. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    They're out of ideas, it's as simple as that.

14. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Video Games are too corporate now. You're going to get a corporate product.

The most unique games over the past few years have been indie games.

Shareholders don't want risks, they don't want results, they want PREDICTABLE RESULTS.

Hence, AAA Title part Y: Redux

15. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    Gamers are as lazy as the corporations who milk the ever-loving hell out of successful franchises. If you want fresh IPs that play differently from other games, do your homework. The gaming industry is enormous and covers tons of ground, from the AAA to the fantastic work of smaller studios.

16. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Time, never changes.

[​IMG]

17. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    The problem is with gamers. When they flock to another COD and then b*tch because its more of the same. They are the ones fueling the corporate BS.. I don't buy COD games. I bought Battlefield 3.. Really liked rush,bought BF4 and didn't like it as much. I think a lot of the problem is they push out these sequels out every fall. A new COD every fall. If they made one every 2 years,polished it and for the love of god,put all the content in it. Then put out some DLC.. Or better yet, come out with a game that is long enough that you don't have to. But that is just their way of knowing they can't raise the price of games to $69.99.. DLC is their way of charging you $100+ for their game and justifying this crap! $120 for Battlefront.. Are you kidding me! All that DLC should be in the game right now and on top of that, a proper single player campaign.. Like I said, I might buy the GOTY edition for $14.99. CDkeys here I come! And you wonder why people pirate their fricken games.. Its like all these bleeding heart liberals trying to pass gun control.. Penalizing the normal person's right to own a gun to protect himself isn't going to do anything. Like Ted Nugent said.. I left my rifle on the counter for a week, and funny.. It didn't shoot anyone. The criminals don't get their guns legally anyhow. So what is the freakin point of gun control? Stupid! Its the same with these corporate game companies.. They penalize the gamers actually paying for their crap with DLC and pushing out a half a*sed game. How is that fair to us?

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

We're approaching a tipping point with gaming now, although many console gamers will disagree with that. Look at the evolution of mobile phones during the lifespan of the Xbox 360 and PS3, and even with the current consoles. The console turnover rate will have to be higher, and Microsoft and Sony are already eyeing the future coveted 4K gaming scene. It is likely that after Zen comes out (since they'll likely stick with AMD), or Zen+, that we will see a new console from both makers. It could actually end up being a spec war, so the next gen consoles could be interesting. This is a good thing for PC gamers since the base platform is the same (x86). Games will already be largely optimised for PC engine wise, they can still add graphics quality settings etc.

I believe some people at Microsoft actually want PC gaming to succeed. If PC gaming succeeds, it means more people using proper computers and Windows. Although this may take some customers away from Xbox, it will also take customers away from Sony and that's what they will be aiming for.

In terms of games, a new franchise can be difficult. A new franchise in any genre people will just say 'oh it's a copy of game (whatever)', but as long as they have something distinguishing about it the game, the graphics and effects are good (the gameplay is more important argument doesn't work when it's basically 2016), great gameplay (despite what I just said in the last brackets this is still very important!), and provides a good long campaign without repetitive repetitiveness, they should do just fine.

I think people may be starting to tire from paying $80 for the game or whatever, then having to pay another $80 for all the DLC of which some is already in the $80 game they played anyway. It's like the company is admitting, 'hey, this was meant to be part of the game, but we didn't finish it in time'. All that occurs from this is the customer thinks twice about the next version of the game, and they have less to spend on other games.

19. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    You're joking right?

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I will admit i only tried the beta, but Battlefront just felt like a Battlefield Star Wars mod.

If people want something new and original then buy indie games, the problem is that people (especially PC gamers) turn their nose up at something that isn't graphically very modern.
    You only have to go a few posts up to see the topic move to graphics.

The people are the problem including PC gamers, even on here.
    Lots of complaints about more of the same, but the smaller games have threads that are graveyards, while the bigger games have threads that get second and third parts due to their size.

I was going to say crowdfunding, but even those projects are crammed full of sequels and remakes.

Edit: There are lots of games that aren't sequels, remakes and just more of the same, picked up Life Is Strange and Her Story last night, cheap and look quite interesting without the need to constant shoot stuff.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015