Shame on you AMD .... !!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by testooo, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    GCN 1.0 is 4-5 years old already, so even my 280X still feels capable it needs to be replaced. I dont need to feel safe with this oldtimer, it served its purpose.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I doubt they'll drop just GCN 1.0 and keep supporting GCN 1.1+ as that wouldn't make much sense. The 280/X are fairly new to the market (rebrands I know) unless like someone else said, they release a new architecture.
    GCN 1.0 is still going strong. WDDM 2.0/DX12 in tow. Who knows though :)

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Folks were saying the same thing about the HD 2000-4000 and HD 5000-6000 (excluding 6900 series) having similar architectures, and DX11 being backwards compatible via feature level 10, yet the older VLIW cards were dropped.
    Also, GCN 1.0 will be limited to DX12 feature level 11_1 whereas the later GCN support feature level 12_0

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No one really knows what AMD are going to do in the future, but it's been said, they've only just released rebranded GCN 1.0 GPU's so dropping support for them so soon would be something else.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Not more different than the dropped support for the rebranded VLIW HD 7000 cards or the Richland APUs

GCN 1.0 was released in 2012 and dropping or putting it on Legacy support in 2018 would fit with AMD's current support cycles

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That might be true, but GCN 1.0 supports WDDM 2.0/DX12 today. If they drop support in around 2 years then people that bought the 280/X GCN 1.0 rebrands would have something to say.

The incremental versions (1.1, 1.2) you'd think both should support the same features as GCN 1.0. Removing code would break those too, so I don't think they could use that as an excuse for dropping support, and I'm not talking about just feature levels, unless I'm mistaken.

Hopefully GCN is GCN and they don't stop supporting it til there's an entirely new architecture.

Who knows! :)

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I do though. My overclocked 7970 is faster than the 380x that they released three days ago. Why should I change it if I'm still gaming on 1080p? GCN revisions are not that different from each other. Btw, the 7970 released 3.5 years ago. Just 25 months ago it was still the top end card being sold by AMD.

As theoneofgod says above, removing support for GCN 1.0 will probably take more work than leaving it in and not further alienate your customers.

9. Sildur

Sildur Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    Did anyone notice that AMD's whql driver supports the R5 230 series according to their site? That card is based on Terascale 2...

10. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Of course there isn't any legacy limitation in the driver kernel itself.

Don't give AMD any further ideas of potentially blocking us out from their kernel. : )

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This further proves that the stopping of support is really a marketing technicality...

12. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

So at least it should be possible to mod the driver

13. Traace

Traace Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280 3GB
    The drivers archived its peak performance.

Why AMD shall optimize the drives for new upcoming games that ur card can't even handle on High Settings. It's just stupid, and a waste of resources.

AMD just focus its power on GCN development for now. Not on 2 different architecture like before

14. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes, of course. Windows 7/8 is optional to avoid these intrusions by choosing not to install them. (Win 10 related optional updates)

Windows 10 it is built in by design. Your stuck with it. A high price to pay for DX12.

Of course Vista SP2 still supports DX11, and is bypassed altogether from the spyware updates backporting of Win 7/8 so you don't have to worry about filtering them out, but then no one wants to use that OS anymore when they have Windows 7 instead.

15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Once again, drivers aren't strictly about performance, but also about bug fixes

It's also taking it too far to demand that only graphics cards capable of high settings deserve performance drivers

Then there's also the question how much of AMD's driver team this really frees up to work on GCN. In all likelihood HD 5000/6000 support was tasked to a small team.

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    it actaully doesnt.

it wouldnt install crimson on mine at work.

It just put CCC back on.

The beta legacy worked however,

17. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    We will try to support desktop drivers with UnifL but we are still not certain if AMD will keep the kernel like this.

I have faith that AMD engineers are separate from marketing.
    Some of the work I saw them put into mobility over the years on a shoe string budget (at least from what I gathered through public media) makes me really believe that there are some really good people on their team and their efforts went totally unrewarded. They went from a really .. to put it bluntly crap mobility driver to having something that sorted out major issues for people. I do not know why AMD never publicised these efforts but on a grand scale these effort were no small undertaking.

So if any engineer is reading this .... please keep the kernel open!

In the 15.11 beta changelog AMD acknowledged that HDMI doesn't work on Mobility 5xxx devices. I.e. pending a fix. Then with the next version they put these cards on legacy.

So the community isn't even sure if we will get that and people waited 1.7 years. A working card without HDMI really sucks.

Hopefully AMD will make good on their promise and at least release a driver with working HDMI etc for those cards.

18. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I hope you don't use neither Google nor Steam at all, otherwise you are screwed as well. :3eyes:

19. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Is that the weak excuse you're using to defend Windows 10? That because you already use some other service with lesser spyware-reach, you already have nothing to lose? Guess you should hand me all your accounts and passwords too by that logic (which I can guarantee you won't do, which shows you care about privacy to some extent and makes me wonder why you'd even make such a statement).

You use Google services, you adhere to their privacy policy across Google services. You use Steam, and you adhere to their privacy policy across Steam games and services. You use Windows 10, you adhere to Microsoft's privacy policy across everything you do. One of those three things is far-more invasive than the rest; try to guess what :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2015
  20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    who gives a damn, honestly.

You privacy-nut/basement-dwelling neckbeards can complain all you like.

This is the way **** works in todays world.

Get used to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.