Shame on you AMD .... !!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by testooo, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    They are not adding anything new to the drivers, these are more or less legacy drivers.

2. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

But are Windows 10 compatible. I lately installed Win10 on laptop with Nvidia 9100M and installed drivers without modifying .inf file, without going to disabled drivers signature checking and without blocking Windows Update updates. Those drivers I installed were WHQL, not like modified ones...

3. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    What's the point of this thread? I bet there hasn't been a single change in the driver for such ancient GPUs in the past few years, so what are you on about with the dropped support?
    What the hell do you care for WHQL?
    AMD was so nice to let you use your aged GPU with the new driver interface, and you still whine? Seriously?

P.S.
    So where you live a car cost what an airplane cost anywhere else in the world?

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Official Windows 10 support sure can be considered as adding something new. Compare that to AMD's DX10 cards that didn't even get a Catalyst driver for Windows 8.1

Nvidia's DX10 lineup will still be getting support until April 2016:banana:

Anyway, AMD hasn't cared about the previous backlash they got when dropping its DX9 cards and DX10 cards, they won't care now. If one feels burned by this, get Nvidia next time.

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    They are legacy drivers, but it's still official support for Windows 10 so users don't have to use standard Windows drivers.

And they more or less still update it; not performance-related, but still an update.
    With the 340 driver series they actually also updated application profiles for these 'legacy cards'; it's in the release notes PDF as always.
    It also comes with the standard Nvidia control panel and everything else that usually comes with Nvidia driver package.

The same can't be said for my parents' PC on Windows 10 that uses an older AMD APU that has 4xxx series GPU.
    AMD hardly add legacy support for Windows 10 at all, and told users to just stick to Win7 or Win8.1 instead.
    There's a driver via Windows Update but it doesn't come with CCC and hardly supports hardware acceleration for video decoding.

For me, AMD doesn't need to add anything new nor even performance boost for legacy cards, just proper Windows 10 support.
    I hardly mind my 5650m will no longer have any new driver for it but at least it still has proper Windows 10 drivers.

6. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    a turd no matter how polished or old remains just a turd time to update your outdated hardware

7. testooo

testooo Guest

GPU:
    HD5650 / OC
    if you move your eyeball on the left side you can see all my system info ....

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've got an HD2400 signed drivers for 8.1 working on 10 no problem. Those were in Legacy for a long time now even. Didn't have to modify anything.

9. testooo

testooo Guest

GPU:
    HD5650 / OC
    in fact I posted a topic yesterday and I am still waiting for a reply and I didn't know about the AMD news until today .. ....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-e-gpu-dell-inspiron-n5010.784477/

10. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    at least it has been a couple of years more than the hd 3000/4000 series became legacy, i remember when they droped the support of dx 10/9 cards just when hd 6000 released, and that was just only 2 years. I remember those times were angry users started to spread the bad driver support bs.

but on the bright side people managed to keep up to date using flem or the modded legacy drivers, i remember using them on my old 4890, it was not bad.

11. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    You won't believe how right you are.

Guys .. for 1.7 years AMD has broken support for his Mobility 5xxx card.

i.e. It was not possible to boot Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 because of the AMD drivers for 1.7 years!

This was only resolved by AMD few months ago with another bug popping up which prevented people using the AMD Mobility 5xxx card in a lot of circumstances.

Now AMD has placed this device as legacy.

Make no mistake.

This is what AMDs support looked like for this series when the device was still "supported".

People can come at it with any comments they like but this is what is giving AMD a bad driver rep.

12. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I really hope your kidding or else lost all respect for you.

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I agree that users with HD 5000 and 6000 series got a better deal than the HD 2000-4000 series did.

The DX10 cards were dropped in a time when many games were still console ports and thus fully playable at medium to high depending on the resolution. The support for Windows 8.0 was also just a re-release of the WDDM 1.1 driver for Win7.

Compared to that, the HD 5000 and 6000 series are starting to fall below the minimum requirements for many games (Crossfire is an exception though). They also have WDDM 1.3 drivers for Windows 10, which was released recently.

14. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Kidding about what exactly?

Yes the PXAI Mobility 5xxx series was only fixed after 1.7 years with the 15.11 Beta.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...graphics/5d8dea79-194d-4f42-a0a6-8eb3893175ab

However I will not be apologetic for stepping up for the mobility community and voicing issues.

In this day and age errors such as ones card not working shouldn't happen.

I will continue to voice issues on OS / card breaking bugs.

And frankly there is no reason why anyone should settle for less.

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Haven't mobile chipset users always been shafted though regardless of the provider? I know it was the case when I had a laptop, nVidia very rarely released official drivers for the 8600m gs I had, I had to use modded drivers.

From what I remember, often with mobile chipsets, the support is left to the system builder (take a look at mac hardware for example, you're supposed to get driver software through apple).

It's just really an example of current business practices and sales model, one that most laptop manufacturers want to keep because it means when a laptop becomes out of date, the end user will likely replace it. (Just another reason why I don't like laptops - looks at Dell and HP).

16. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Mobility cards are quite common these days and the marketshare isn't a tiny fraction.
    Notebooks have overtaken desktop sales around 2009.

Am pretty sure that Nvidia has official drivers for the 8600m GS that support Windows 10. I still have an old Pavilion 98xx somewhere from the exact same era.
    This laptop that you have is from 2008?

I recall how laptopvideo2go started modding drivers for Nvidia. I think I made use of them in 2005. This was a time when OEMs had to mod drivers. Then at some point after the 2008 Mobility overheating / recall debacle Nvidia got their act together and started pushing out drivers that worked across desktops and laptops.
    This is when they took the lead in terms of drivers for mobility devices. They just supported their cards.

During this time AMD took over most contracts and flooded the market with their mobility products. Their drivers however were inferior and it was down to the OEM to fix them up whilst Nvidia was already ahead. There is partly a story about switching technologies in here but it is too long for this post.

AMD has been catching up on this driver front and in the meantime has seen a decrease in mobility dominance. They used to have a pretty big chunk of the market circa 2011-3.

17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Except that these particular customers don't buy at all, from anyone. That's why they are running so old hardware.

18. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Yeah my laptop was hp dv9574ea, suffered the gpu problem, didn't help that there wasn't any thermal paste on it whatsoever either (I found out when it died after warranty, opened it up to find it in such a state) but at the time I had to use laptopvideo2go too.

I think it's really more a case of how the OEM market is setup in that AMD/nVidia will provide drivers but can't provide support due to the way contracts are made between the vendors and OEMs, it's pretty stupid but that's how situations like the OP's occur.

I've always known that mobile chipsets only have limited support anyway, it's really a case of getting onto the OEM's back for stifling support imo.

19. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Indeed. We all had that blue sticky pad between the copper until it dried up.

AMD has made amazing progress over the years with creating drivers that work more or less out of the box for switchable graphics / laptops.

They began to make everything seamless and more or less automatic circa April 2013 with 13.4 and have reached a peak with 14.4 with their old kernel base.

Then they went one step further and gave it even more automation by forcing all switching tech to dynamic. This eliminated a lot of issues for users and most are happy as a result of that. No more fixed switching. No need to rely on the BIOS (even if it is locked by the OEM) The AMD techs did a real number here and this largely went unnoticed and unappreciated since there were no official reports on this.

OEMs are notoriously bad with driver support and it was down to the GPU manufacturers to close the gap. It just took longer for AMD in that regard and meanwhile they have hit a bad time with marketshare, economy and issues with human resources.

If the new driver kernel will still support the cards that were allocated the legacy status then we will try to mod drivers for these devices for as long as possible.

I still find it important to report issues if official drivers are having device breaking bugs like the card not working at all.

Mobility users do not really care for gaming profiles when their devices are old. They care for OS support and basic stuff such as acceleration in web browsers / video. HDMI etc.

20. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    Main question is if they actually need better hardware. It all depends on what that pc is used.

For example an Athlon x2 4000+ + hd 4350 (7+ years old hardware) can be used to browse the web, check emails, write docs, watch video & streams (as long as you don't try 1080p @ 60fps should be fine) even play something like League of Legends @ 720p. Such pc doesn't really need new drivers to be honest :) .

Still hd 6970 is a good gpu. Not sure how much impact will have the lack of new drivers on such a gpu (talking about single gpu, crossfire is another discussion).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.