Windows is 30 years of age today

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    We do have on microcontrollers but on PC ? I have not heard about those rumours but I dont think that it's going to happen any time soon. Not going to say it will never happen, but it does seem like a fairly challenging task...

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Again, that doesn't make any difference. There are still basic routines in all Windows versions that had their origins in DOS. You can't see them or get to them but they are there. Nobody is talking about running DOS or what the environment is. I know all about DosBox and have used it. You don't have to be able to actually run DOS to have some of it's basic routines still present.

My whole argument is that Windows 95 was more than just a GUI like the previous Windows had been. That's it in a nutshell.

3. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Not sure where I was almost there. :D Perhaps you misunderstood me because I did say that ME is dos based but, it eliminated the option to boot straight to dos.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why doesn't it make a difference? As nice as it may have looked to you, it was still just DOS under it all. It's you who seems to have your own special definitions on how an OS works.
    We are talking about running DOS and what environment it's in. In fact that's the only thing that matters. Windows, like most things, was a natural progression.
    In the end, your "argument" (which is simply ridiculous at this point) is Win 95 was an impressive OS in spite of it using DOS.

@ManofGod; I guess you lost me on the whole
    "There are no DOS underpinnings or tie ins at all since Windows ME."
    That would imply ME was not DOS based.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Who is this windows kid and why is it trying to annoy me? I'm older, respect me and let me handle my computer the way I want ffs.

;):D

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well let's just continue to wish Windows a happy birthday peacefully people! :D

7. readonly

readonly Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    forget all this windows+dos talk, why hasn't Microsoft started to phase out 32bit versions of their O/S? (not the backwards compatible portion, just the 32bit only O/S). I was hoping in Windows 8/8.1 they would have given 64bit installer as the only option and in windows 10 continued the trend with the warning that in a soon iteration of windows the legacy 32-bit support would be phased out completely. The O/S is so bloated because of tha (and also contains security holes because of the legacy dll's etc), they need to get people used to the fact there is no 32bit version of their O/S anymore.

vbetts-Edited

8. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Tablets with 2GB of ram and a 32GB SSD installed. That is why.

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Microsoft promised all machines that supported Windows 7 would support Windows 10. Windows 7 was released before 64-bit went mainstream on consumer and business PC's. They have to support them. Also ARM variants of Windows 10 support both legacy 32-bit cores, and 64-bit cores. While I admit, Microsoft would benefit from maybe dropping 32-bit, having it does not affect the OS for a 64-bit user at all.

10. readonly

readonly Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    I mean I agree with you but I'm more arguing why would they even make those kinds of promises. I just hope that come windows 11 or whatever, they finally kill the 32-bit variant and plan for abolishing 32-bit app support altogether.

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Supposedly, there will never be a Windows 11 or anything past 10. They said all they will do is update 10. They may at some point even stop calling it that and just use the name Windows. They can kill the 32 bit version of the OS itself but they absolutely should continue support for running 32 bit apps.

12. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti

Go the Apple route.

Windows 10.1

Windows 10.2

Windows 10.3

Windows 10.4 Polar Bear

Windows 10.5 Penguin

Windows 10.6 Ice storm. :D

13. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB G
    And to celebrate they came up with the idea that the OS (Win 10) can uninstall/delete programs from MY PC! I will say that again Windows 10 has the "ability" to identify if a program causes "issues" with their OS and then simply delete/uninstall that program without me ever knowing anything! Let us all celebrate!! You don't have to do **** just let the geniuses from Microsoft and their OS do what ever they like in MY PC :banana:

Enough celebration, NOW let us all conscious users uninstall Win 10 and go back to 7 even in 8 if you wish! I don't care about DX12 and how gaming performance benefits from that, I have a 2000$ PC so trust me I want the best performance of course but this thing is getting out of control and has to stop real quick!