Windows is 30 years of age today

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 20, 2015.

1. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    What a pile of rubbish... Have you ever hard of DirectX, Win32API and stuff like that? :D Try you those in your DOS if Windows is just a GUI on top of that OS. :3eyes: :stewpid:

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    That Steve Ballmer commercial, roflmao!

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It doesn't matter if you agree or not. Doesn't change facts. Windows95, 98, 98SE and ME all ran on top of DOS 6.22 and DOS 7. In fact, if you actually looked at the system files for Win95, you can see where DOS 6.22 executes the commands to load Windows. You can even prevent Windows from loading at all. If you opened a "command prompt" in Windows95-98SE and ran the "ver" command, it returned the DOS version number. Windows95 even had an option to boot into DOS. After booting into DOS, it was as simple as removing "win.exe" from the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to prevent Windows from loading. Win95 even told you DOS was loading, prior to Windows loading....lol

The original release of Win95 didn't contain Win32API. It was only 16bit. Win95B was the first 32bit release of Windows.

4. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    None of that matters. as I said, starting with XP, they removed the option to get to the underlying DOS kernel but, it was still there. A lot of the old DOS files and utilities are still present, even in Win 10. Really the biggest thing they did in XP was to move all Windows versions over to the NT structure which was always more stable.

The abilities of Windows 95 to detect and install hardware and drivers, along with the improved graphics and gaming capabilities, and many other things, made it a true OS and not just an overlay like the previous iterations. It was truly groundbreaking and no subsequent version has had as big an impact in the PC world.

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I thought it was rumoured many years ago that we would have a realtime OS by now? What happened to that? Must have been about 98 or so that I first heard the rumours.

6. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    The title of the storey should heave read "30 Years Ago Microsoft F'd Over IBM Through Blackmail!" or "It's Been 30 Years Since IBM Shot Themselves In The Foot!"

:p

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

I thought it was HP MS got the GUI idea from or bought it from? or am i missing somthing

8. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    worked a few years with 3.1. not sure I would call it a "windows" as we know it now, it was pretty obvious it was a GUI of ms-dos, i had a Macintosh at that time it was way better

didn't they all stole ideas from other people ? Gates and Jobs ?

9. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    Windows 1.0 sounds like it's a great OS!
    Can anyone tell me how I can upgrade my Windows 10 to it?

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah stick a '.' between '1' and '0' job done give me a pint.

3.1 was my intro to Windows when I went from Primary School (where we all used BBC Micros) and finally got our hands on some of these PC things. The only thing I remember about them was, playing Doom during any free time we had and how great the keyboards felt and sounded when typing on them, turns out they sounded and felt great because they were proper mechanical keyboards. Not sure what type of switches they would have used, was Cherry even a thing 20 odd years ago?

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    when I started highschool in 1996, all the computers ran windows 3.1 then later upgraded to windows 95 /98 and then windows 2000 in 2001.

no internet until later when switching over to windows 95 and windows 98. and they was slow as hell.

I found out about doom. by finding the one computer in the whole computer lab that had it on it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    WOW now that brings back some memories :nerd:

13. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I suppose you've never used Windows Me.

14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    XP and on have Zero basis with DOS and never will. It has a ring memory structure pretty much like OS/2 did. A command line is not DOS based either although at one time, a DOS prompt was still made available running on top of Windows XP. There are no DOS underpinnings since Windows ME, period. :p

15. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    ME was a hybrid transitional OS.

16. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Then why are many of the commands you can execute through the Command Prompt identical to those in DOS? You can not run DOS, but a lot of the basic low level functions are still there, just elaborated on and improved. It is still easy to see, even in Win 10, what the origins of the OS were. They are becoming more and more concealed, that much is true. When the Command Prompt is completely gone, then you can say there is no more dependance on old DOS functions, but still will just be more concealment.

17. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Sorry but, that is not at all correct. I do not care about being right or wrong but with computers, they are not based upon what you think but what they are. XP and on are not based on DOS in any fashion. Otherwise, OS /2 would have to be based on DOS as well because I could run straight DOS or the built in DOS from that.

Look, the reason I am sharing this is to basically eliminate any misinformation. There has not been a DOS based OS since Windows ME and there never will be again. OS /2 and Windows XP and above have the same memory type structure and underpinnings. Also, are you saying that Linux is DOS based because it has a command line?

XP and on were based on Windows NT, not DOS. Otherwise, you would have to conclude that Windows NT was based on DOS as well, which is was not.

No, it wasn't. ME is a straight up DOS based like the previous ones but optimized to be faster. It also removed the ability to boot up straight into DOS but was not a transitional OS.

18. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Of course Linux is not based on DOS (but it might be better if it was :)). Even if Windows is not what you call "DOS based", it still has some of the low level routines. Windows NT did come about because of DOS just like every other Windows Version. Just because there is no user access to the DOS based routines doesn't mean they aren't there.

Yes, ME was the last of the 9x track but it added features like system restore and other things that became standard from XP on. That's why I consider it transitional. Maybe hybrid was too strong of a description. Admittedly, I never used it and I saw many people struggle with it compared to 98SE which was always rock solid for me and never required a re-installation. I also consider 2000 to be transitional, probably more so, but it also had a lot of problems with drivers and gaming.

I started with DOS on an old IBM machine and used Windows 1.0 through 3.1 but didn't really like them, skipped 95 and went to 98SE, skipped ME and went to XP which was already on SP2, skipped Vista, and went to 64 bit 7 which was already on SP1, put 8 pro on the old XP laptop and then upgraded to 8.1, and then started with 8.1 on this machine which now has 10 still on build 10240.

Whatever, I still consider Windows as a true OS to have started with 95 and therefore really only be 20 years old.

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Nevermind, just forget it. Please, do some research and get back to us because you clearly are unwilling to listen to experience and reality. NT came from the OS /2 work that IBM and Microsoft worked on together. There are no DOS underpinnings or tie ins at all since Windows ME. Perhaps it was best to let it go like everyone clearly decided to a while ago but, I guess I was just a glutton for punishment.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why are you so staunch on this? I'm sorry but you are simply incorrect, sykozis is right on the money. ManofGod is almost there, Win ME also was DOS based. NT being the first that wasn't, and XP being the first commercial release that wasn't.

The command prompt you see in Windows NT and newer has nothing to do with the kernal or the OS itself, it's simply a CLI purposefully made to resemble DOS giving an alternate way to control the OS. But make no mistake, as much as I like making batch files, CMD is just a benign program that has to interact with the NT Kernel just like every other program.

Take note that in order to run DOS programs on an NT based OS you need an emulator. Completely different environment.